Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Active Pup

I'm not going anywhere. I have to agree I don't agree with everything on this site, but I'm still here. I do this for them so the local shelter in the city where I am at does not get overloaded with their dogs. I also help out the humane society with their cats and kittens. I have refused to take anymore of the kittens that everybody has left on my doorstep or conned me into taking. All they ended up doing was giving me the sick ones. I also help out a local rescue by steering as many of these breeders to them as possible. That's why I only work with 2. I have never had a bad pup and only have 2-3 of them at a time. I have tried to tell them to gow ith the purebreds they refuse. But rather than have them go to the shelter or end up dead because they have to many makes me want to help them more. Do I make money, nope. I have to feed and take care of these pups until I find them homes. Plus get there shots updated if they are there longer than 2 weeks. I don't get anything for this and don't ask for this either. Then they won't let me have them. The rescue is always full as is the shelter. The shleter has mostly larger unpredictable dogs that I don't want in my store for insurance reasons. They do send potential adoptees to me when they know I have these pups. I have known the director for many years and we have a good relationship. If I see abuse she si the first to know. If there are sick pups in the area she will let me know so people coming in won't spread that to the other pets I have in the store. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong but I'm trying the best I can.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
Yes I have a pet store. No my puppies are not sold out of the store. They are sold from my house.
Yet you say...
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
All pups are vet checked and 8 weeks old or older before they ever come into my store.
Thus, I am confused, because you contradict yourself.

And yes, I have a question. What health testing do you do on your breeding adults?

hmmmmm, this popcorn needs more butter.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 11-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

I just have a few questions. Do you make money off the animals that people just "drop off at your door", or the ones that are sick? I just think that by selling these "backyard breeder's" unwanted puppies you're just allowing them to continue because they know that they can come to you and that you'll sell the dog. Also, why would any reputable breeder allow their dogs to end up at the local shelter in the first place? Plus, you're not rescuing the dogs and rehoming them.. you're SELLING them for a profit I take it and I just don't see how that's helpful.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Thumbs down

I just have to add that I find it extremely disheartening that the local shelter supports a pet store selling puppies.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 11-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Fuzzy Pants

Uhhhhh...
Old 11-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Oh buddy........Tomarow this thread with be 10 pages long with online tears lol.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 11-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieSticksandTricks View Post
Oh buddy........Tomarow this thread with be 10 pages long with online tears lol.
You wanna make a bet ... I say 15+ pages
Old 11-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Top Dog

More than that folks !!! What I gather from here ... you have 2 friends who breed and supply your store with puppies .... both they and you make money from this arrangement . Isn't this BYB for both your pocket books ? If you want pups in your store , I'm sure the HS would be thrilled for you to foster in your store .... preceeds go back to the HS. This would not only make you feel good , but your sales of dog supplies would go up !! That's why I only buy from petstores that only have rescue programs .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Top Dog

PS .... I applaud your cock-a-poo looker !!!! I imagine you had a " designer " prices on these pups rather than "mutt " prices. Good for her to try to educate you .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Training the Trainer

Frogger, I have to say, if you work in rescue and welfare as you say, you would be doing anything to STOP these people from breeding - considering you know first hand what it leads to in terms of overpopulation. Instead you are helping them? Help them by making them understand how they are contributing to a huge problem. Then you will really be helping. At the moment you seem to be an accomplice, and that is a different thing. I can't believe that someone who works with and sees the daily problems of overpopulation of dogs and cats, because of people like your friends, that you aren't trying to stop them. There really must be something in it for you, otherwise you have the oddest view of `welfare' I have ever come across.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made