Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Blood coming out of teeth when he chews his bone?

Ok, I kind of have two questions. My dog freddie was biting on a bone today and he was chewing it up really good, the end got all mushy and wet but I started noticing blood on his teeth and some on the end of the bone where he was chewing, is this normal when dogs chew bones for their gums to bleed? I think he was chewing it so hard that the bone may of started scraping his gums, anyways, I took the bone away. I don't want him to chew it if his gums will bleed, but at the same time, he likes the bone and it keeps him busy, he won't play with the other toys I bought him (Ball, Kong)

THe other questions is about Frontline flea control, i had the vet put some on him last week and today I saw a flea on him and he has been scratching alot. I was just suprised cuz the vet told me it whould work within 24 hours. He could be scratching just to scratch??? Like I said, i saw one flea but not alot on him since then but the scratching has been a little excessive. Does a dog with no fleas still scratch alot? I hear people telling me to use advantage but I didn't hear about frontline until I went to the vet, has anyone had good luck with this brand? I'm new with dogs so if these questions sound newbish, that's the reason why
Old 04-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Felurian

Sometimes a bone can scrape the gums a bit Freddie. Are you giving him processed (smoked/cooked) bones or raw? The raw is a better choice as they won't splinter and they aren't as hard. Just make sure you've frozen them first. There is a parasite that can infect dogs from raw meat, but freezing first takes care of that problem.

I'm trying to remember which one I had better results from, Frontline or Advantage - it's flea season again and I need to know too, lol!

Your dog may still be itching from the flea bites he already had before you treated him. Give him a week or so and maybe give him a bath with a mild shampoo, making sure he's rinsed well and see if that doesn't clear up the scratching.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

Last year we used Frontline on Lucy for the first time, and we saw great results and have bought some more for her this time around

Lucy

~ My Blog ~
Old 04-11-2005, 04:26 PM
I love Jack Russells!

I use Frontline too.

A dog really does cure what ails you!
Old 04-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Puppy Dog

Hi, thanks for the reply both of you. I"m not sure what Kind of dog bone it is but it is the manufactured type. THere may be some kind of flavoring that was put on it i think but not too sure. I just took freddy for a bath today so we will see what happens, i've noticed when he itchs he scratchs on his collar, maybe his collar is causing him to itch? It's a thick leather collar, was thinking maybe getting him a lighter one.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Don't encourage me..

I use Frontline for Gus and Lili!! I buy the combo one that kills any eggs that may be in your house as well, coz those pesky critters get in your carpets and everywhere!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 04-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Quigleyfied

re: bones/gums
how old is your dog, and does he chew bones regularly? what do you feed? do you give any real bones, or only artificial ones? does he have any brown or grey buildup on his teeth? is there a visible red line on the gums where gums and teeth meet, with the part of the gums further away from the teeth being a paler color??

the reason i'm asking all these questions is that periodontal disease is very common in dogs, especially in those who eat only commercial food and don't get a chance to clean and condition teeth and gums by chewing on natural bones.

re: fleas/scratching
it's still possible for your dog to pick up fleas, even with a preventive. they do not necessarily bite, but don't drop dead instantly either.

if frontline doesn't work, give advantage a try. i often hear from people that one doesn't work, and the other one then usually does the trick. for me personally frontline has never worked well but advantage does, for other people it seems to be the other way around.

scratching can have many other causes as well, from food sensitivities and allergies to contact allergies and so on. renee is also right, it could be that the old flea bites are still bothering him.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 04-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Top Dog

I know that Toki had that while chewing his raw hide but that was because he was trying to loose his baby teeth. Sometimes you can't tell if flea medication works because they might be allergic and they will strach.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy

the reason i'm asking all these questions is that periodontal disease is very common in dogs, especially in those who eat only commercial food and don't get a chance to clean and condition teeth and gums by chewing on natural bones.

Mordy..if I'm feeding my dog cooked food and high quality kibble (timberwolf organics)...am I allowed to feed her raw bones as well? not a raw diet (just yet anyways)..but bones...I clean my dog's teeth, but I am really interested in the whole raw bones as an option deal...its much more natural and healthier than using doggy toothpaste (even though I don't use it that much)...

may I please get more information on raw bones?
Old 04-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Quigleyfied

pitbulliest, yes you can feed bones, even if you feed home cooked and/or commercial food otherwise. the most beneficial bones for cleaning are consumable ones tho, so you will have to adjust feeding amounts on the days you give the bones.

the bigger the pieces are, and the longer the dog has to work on them, ripping, pulling and chewing, the better the effect on the teeth. so for example, a larger dog would benefit more from eating half a chicken carcass (skin, meat, cartilage, bones) than just gnawing on some knuckle bones for a while.

here are some suggestions for bones that work out well:

beef and pork necks (cut according to size of the individual dog), lamb shanks, knuckle ends of beef femur bones, beef and pork ribs, pig's feet, chicken and turkey backs, oxtails. specifically for smaller dogs: chicken necks, wings and feet, pork and lamb ribs.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!