Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-08-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm All Ears

All our conformation and obedience training around here is trhough a german shepherd club. Well, the best is through the local GSD club. All the papillons I know were trained there. Your breeder should be able to tell you who offers good classes in their area. Or they should be able to point you to someone in your area that would have that information.

EDIT: Just got to thinking of this and I think it's because our breeder used to show and breed gsds before she bred papillons. I'm guessing this is how she knew about this group. Oh well, they're good classes.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:01 PM
F150 and a .30-06

What I suggest to everyone who wants to get into showing, no matter what the breed is to get a mentor. Get a local breeder to agree to let you fallow them around at shows. Learn from them and take handling classes.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 11-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
What I suggest to everyone who wants to get into showing, no matter what the breed is to get a mentor. Get a local breeder to agree to let you fallow them around at shows. Learn from them and take handling classes.
I agree, all very important things! My dog's breeder was my mentor and helped me learn at the shows.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
Oh I am!

Probably I am going to find a REALLY good breeder the shows and has Champs in her line of Dogs....and she will help me learn all I need to know about showing Goldens...and the Show ring

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Dobe Lover

If you get a great prospect from a breeder and that breeder wants to finish that dog, you should make some kind of financial arrangement with the breeder. It is to their benefit that the dog gets finished. Also, if they want to special the dog, they should contribute to that too.

I have seen the golden ring. It is very competitive (but I agree it is not as competitive as the dobe ring). However, if you have a great dog, learn the grooming tips to help with the presentation and are ready to go the long haul, you can do it.

Go to shows.

Talk to breeders. Talk to owners.

Get a pro handler to mentor you. They are always looking for kennel help. That way you get handling and grooming classes from a pro. At some point, you will be showing dogs for the handler because of multi wins in classes. Then you will be ready when you get your pup.

Cole's Mom
Old 11-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole's Mom View Post
If you get a great prospect from a breeder and that breeder wants to finish that dog, you should make some kind of financial arrangement with the breeder. It is to their benefit that the dog gets finished. Also, if they want to special the dog, they should contribute to that too.

I have seen the golden ring. It is very competitive (but I agree it is not as competitive as the dobe ring). However, if you have a great dog, learn the grooming tips to help with the presentation and are ready to go the long haul, you can do it.

Go to shows.

Get a pro handler to mentor you. They are always looking for kennel help. That way you get handling and grooming classes from a pro. At some point, you will be showing dogs for the handler because of multi wins in classes. Then you will be ready when you get your pup.

Cole's Mom
So I should not get the Breeder to mentor me?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-08-2006, 06:35 PM
CASSA

Comformation can be COMFORMATION show which of course means a show that is judging the dogs body for correct comformation.

Comformation faults are easty westy ( front legs point east and west) , hocky ( rear legs turned turned out) weak topline - top of dog some breeds call for a strong strait topline others like fila and presa do not.

Buy k-9 structure and terminlogy by gilbert great book.
Best of Luck
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 11-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole's Mom View Post

Go to shows.

Cole's Mom
These are all great tips, BUT I think your first time around you can only expect so much and make certain arrangements. I think with your first dog, you have to pay your dues and can't be so demanding...afterall, the breeder is trusting a novice with one of their carefully bred, quality animals. Personally, I would make sure you make it clear to the breeder that YOU want to finish the dog and you don't want a handler on it or someone else showing it. Just be clear about what you want from the beginning and the breeder will choose the right prospect for you.

I think breeders make great mentors. It's a person you know and feel comfortable with and they show up to the shows you are at. My first and only mentor was my dog's breeder. She taught me everything I know now and then I branched off into handling classes etc. to learn more.

And lastly, don't just look for someone who breeds from "champion lines"...you want a dog from champion parents or at least having one of the parents being a champion. This is not too much to ask for and you will be able to find it with patience.

Maybe you can ask for your show Golden now and get into juniors It's cut throat, but can be a fun way to learn if you keep it fun...
Old 11-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug View Post
These are all great tips, BUT I think your first time around you can only expect so much and make certain arrangements. I think with your first dog, you have to pay your dues and can't be so demanding...afterall, the breeder is trusting a novice with one of their carefully bred, quality animals. Personally, I would make sure you make it clear to the breeder that YOU want to finish the dog and you don't want a handler on it or someone else showing it. Just be clear about what you want from the beginning and the breeder will choose the right prospect for you.

I think breeders make great mentors. It's a person you know and feel comfortable with and they show up to the shows you are at. My first and only mentor was my dog's breeder. She taught me everything I know now and then I branched off into handling classes etc. to learn more.

And lastly, don't just look for someone who breeds from "champion lines"...you want a dog from champion parents or at least having one of the parents being a champion. This is not too much to ask for and you will be able to find it with patience.

Maybe you can ask for your show Golden now and get into juniors It's cut throat, but can be a fun way to learn if you keep it fun...
Okay so you could have the breeder mentor you *sigh*

Oh and I KNOW that I will not be able to get a Golden now....my parents have made it REAL clear that they will have NO more dogs in te house till one of them passes away

Also should I start looking for a breeder now?

l ~Jennifer~ l
Old 11-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I would start looking for a breeder now because most good breeders have waiting lists, especially for show quality dogs. It would probably be a good idea to keep in touch with the breeder and learn as much as you can about the show ring before you even get a dog, just so you know for sure that it is what you want to do

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.