Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 11-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is offline
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 29,236
Default

All our conformation and obedience training around here is trhough a german shepherd club. Well, the best is through the local GSD club. All the papillons I know were trained there. Your breeder should be able to tell you who offers good classes in their area. Or they should be able to point you to someone in your area that would have that information.

EDIT: Just got to thinking of this and I think it's because our breeder used to show and breed gsds before she bred papillons. I'm guessing this is how she knew about this group. Oh well, they're good classes.
__________________
Mia CGC - (5 year old papillon)
Summer TG3 TBAD - (10 year old papillon)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-08-2006, 04:01 PM
JennSLK's Avatar
JennSLK JennSLK is offline
F150 and a .30-06
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Alberta
Posts: 6,956
Default

What I suggest to everyone who wants to get into showing, no matter what the breed is to get a mentor. Get a local breeder to agree to let you fallow them around at shows. Learn from them and take handling classes.
__________________



Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-08-2006, 05:23 PM
showpug's Avatar
showpug showpug is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
What I suggest to everyone who wants to get into showing, no matter what the breed is to get a mentor. Get a local breeder to agree to let you fallow them around at shows. Learn from them and take handling classes.
I agree, all very important things! My dog's breeder was my mentor and helped me learn at the shows.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Lizmo's Avatar
Lizmo Lizmo is offline
Water Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AL
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
What I suggest to everyone who wants to get into showing, no matter what the breed is to get a mentor. Get a local breeder to agree to let you fallow them around at shows. Learn from them and take handling classes.
Oh I am!

Probably I am going to find a REALLY good breeder the shows and has Champs in her line of Dogs....and she will help me learn all I need to know about showing Goldens...and the Show ring
__________________

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Cole's Mom's Avatar
Cole's Mom Cole's Mom is offline
Dobe Lover
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 105
Default

If you get a great prospect from a breeder and that breeder wants to finish that dog, you should make some kind of financial arrangement with the breeder. It is to their benefit that the dog gets finished. Also, if they want to special the dog, they should contribute to that too.

I have seen the golden ring. It is very competitive (but I agree it is not as competitive as the dobe ring). However, if you have a great dog, learn the grooming tips to help with the presentation and are ready to go the long haul, you can do it.

Go to shows.

Talk to breeders. Talk to owners.

Get a pro handler to mentor you. They are always looking for kennel help. That way you get handling and grooming classes from a pro. At some point, you will be showing dogs for the handler because of multi wins in classes. Then you will be ready when you get your pup.

Cole's Mom
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Lizmo's Avatar
Lizmo Lizmo is offline
Water Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AL
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole's Mom View Post
If you get a great prospect from a breeder and that breeder wants to finish that dog, you should make some kind of financial arrangement with the breeder. It is to their benefit that the dog gets finished. Also, if they want to special the dog, they should contribute to that too.

I have seen the golden ring. It is very competitive (but I agree it is not as competitive as the dobe ring). However, if you have a great dog, learn the grooming tips to help with the presentation and are ready to go the long haul, you can do it.

Go to shows.

Talk to breeders. Talk to owners.

Get a pro handler to mentor you. They are always looking for kennel help. That way you get handling and grooming classes from a pro. At some point, you will be showing dogs for the handler because of multi wins in classes. Then you will be ready when you get your pup.

Cole's Mom
So I should not get the Breeder to mentor me?
__________________

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-08-2006, 06:35 PM
planet molosser's Avatar
planet molosser planet molosser is offline
CASSA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Niagara NY
Posts: 1,743
Default

Comformation can be COMFORMATION show which of course means a show that is judging the dogs body for correct comformation.

Comformation faults are easty westy ( front legs point east and west) , hocky ( rear legs turned turned out) weak topline - top of dog some breeds call for a strong strait topline others like fila and presa do not.

Buy k-9 structure and terminlogy by gilbert great book.
Best of Luck
__________________
FoxFire Farms home to Only US Bred Total dogs, Show, work, Agility, rally, we do it all Working dogs of legends.
World Champion Working Dogs.
http://centralasianshepherd.homestead.com
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-08-2006, 08:26 PM
showpug's Avatar
showpug showpug is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole's Mom View Post
If you get a great prospect from a breeder and that breeder wants to finish that dog, you should make some kind of financial arrangement with the breeder. It is to their benefit that the dog gets finished. Also, if they want to special the dog, they should contribute to that too.

I have seen the golden ring. It is very competitive (but I agree it is not as competitive as the dobe ring). However, if you have a great dog, learn the grooming tips to help with the presentation and are ready to go the long haul, you can do it.

Go to shows.

Talk to breeders. Talk to owners.

Get a pro handler to mentor you. They are always looking for kennel help. That way you get handling and grooming classes from a pro. At some point, you will be showing dogs for the handler because of multi wins in classes. Then you will be ready when you get your pup.

Cole's Mom
These are all great tips, BUT I think your first time around you can only expect so much and make certain arrangements. I think with your first dog, you have to pay your dues and can't be so demanding...afterall, the breeder is trusting a novice with one of their carefully bred, quality animals. Personally, I would make sure you make it clear to the breeder that YOU want to finish the dog and you don't want a handler on it or someone else showing it. Just be clear about what you want from the beginning and the breeder will choose the right prospect for you.

I think breeders make great mentors. It's a person you know and feel comfortable with and they show up to the shows you are at. My first and only mentor was my dog's breeder. She taught me everything I know now and then I branched off into handling classes etc. to learn more.

And lastly, don't just look for someone who breeds from "champion lines"...you want a dog from champion parents or at least having one of the parents being a champion. This is not too much to ask for and you will be able to find it with patience.

Maybe you can ask for your show Golden now and get into juniors It's cut throat, but can be a fun way to learn if you keep it fun...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Lizmo's Avatar
Lizmo Lizmo is offline
Water Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AL
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug View Post
These are all great tips, BUT I think your first time around you can only expect so much and make certain arrangements. I think with your first dog, you have to pay your dues and can't be so demanding...afterall, the breeder is trusting a novice with one of their carefully bred, quality animals. Personally, I would make sure you make it clear to the breeder that YOU want to finish the dog and you don't want a handler on it or someone else showing it. Just be clear about what you want from the beginning and the breeder will choose the right prospect for you.

I think breeders make great mentors. It's a person you know and feel comfortable with and they show up to the shows you are at. My first and only mentor was my dog's breeder. She taught me everything I know now and then I branched off into handling classes etc. to learn more.

And lastly, don't just look for someone who breeds from "champion lines"...you want a dog from champion parents or at least having one of the parents being a champion. This is not too much to ask for and you will be able to find it with patience.

Maybe you can ask for your show Golden now and get into juniors It's cut throat, but can be a fun way to learn if you keep it fun...
Okay so you could have the breeder mentor you *sigh*

Oh and I KNOW that I will not be able to get a Golden now....my parents have made it REAL clear that they will have NO more dogs in te house till one of them passes away


Also should I start looking for a breeder now?
__________________

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-08-2006, 08:59 PM
PWCorgi's Avatar
PWCorgi PWCorgi is offline
Priscilla Winifred Corgi
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Twin Citay!
Posts: 14,592
Default

I would start looking for a breeder now because most good breeders have waiting lists, especially for show quality dogs. It would probably be a good idea to keep in touch with the breeder and learn as much as you can about the show ring before you even get a dog, just so you know for sure that it is what you want to do
__________________

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi


*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site