Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-08-2006, 11:13 AM
SizzleDog SizzleDog is offline
Lord Cynical
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,318
Default

If you want a Golden, get a Golden - my first show dog is a Doberman... and dobes are just as competitive (if not moreso) than Goldens! And yes, he's pointed... owner handled.

Showing dogs is very expensive... around $28 dollars per entry, per day. Factor in transportation, training, lodging, supplies, *the dog itself*... just be prepared for it all! I'm actually happy that my show dog isn't a dog that will finish easily, because I simply can't afford to campaign a *really good* dog... I'll save that for when I'm older and richer! I was offered a dog that ended up finishing at 14 months of age, and is now being specialed... no way could I have afforded that dog's show career!
__________________



Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Lizmo's Avatar
Lizmo Lizmo is offline
Water Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AL
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
If you want a Golden, get a Golden - my first show dog is a Doberman... and dobes are just as competitive (if not moreso) than Goldens! And yes, he's pointed... owner handled.

Showing dogs is very expensive... around $28 dollars per entry, per day. Factor in transportation, training, lodging, supplies, *the dog itself*... just be prepared for it all! I'm actually happy that my show dog isn't a dog that will finish easily, because I simply can't afford to campaign a *really good* dog... I'll save that for when I'm older and richer! I was offered a dog that ended up finishing at 14 months of age, and is now being specialed... no way could I have afforded that dog's show career!

Thanks Sizzle

Yes this Golden will be handled by ME...owner handled!

Yes, I am starting to save up for a Golden NOW!! and for all the goes with Showing!

Just wondering but how much do they usually go for....I mean how much do they usually cost?
__________________

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-08-2006, 11:48 AM
showpug's Avatar
showpug showpug is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Thanks Sizzle

Yes this Golden will be handled by ME...owner handled!

Yes, I am starting to save up for a Golden NOW!! and for all the goes with Showing!

Just wondering but how much do they usually go for....I mean how much do they usually cost?
I would plan on $1200-$1500 for a show golden. I looked into them once because I was possibly interested in getting one and that is what the show breeders around here are selling show pups for. By the time you are ready, I would plan on $2000.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Lizmo's Avatar
Lizmo Lizmo is offline
Water Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AL
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug View Post
I would plan on $1200-$1500 for a show golden. I looked into them once because I was possibly interested in getting one and that is what the show breeders around here are selling show pups for. By the time you are ready, I would plan on $2000.

Okay thanks!

*goes to start saving*
__________________

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-08-2006, 11:58 AM
showpug's Avatar
showpug showpug is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
If you want a Golden, get a Golden - my first show dog is a Doberman... and dobes are just as competitive (if not moreso) than Goldens! And yes, he's pointed... owner handled.

Showing dogs is very expensive... around $28 dollars per entry, per day. Factor in transportation, training, lodging, supplies, *the dog itself*... just be prepared for it all! I'm actually happy that my show dog isn't a dog that will finish easily, because I simply can't afford to campaign a *really good* dog... I'll save that for when I'm older and richer! I was offered a dog that ended up finishing at 14 months of age, and is now being specialed... no way could I have afforded that dog's show career!
I would say Dobermans are THE MOST competitive ring at the show LOL! I think that is an outstanding accomplishment that you have owner handled and pointed your Dobe...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is offline
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 28,958
Default

Around here believe it or not Rhodies are the biggest breed entry. Though at the last show papillons were the biggest breed entry (66). All the shows I've gone to had a ton of golden entries, so be prepared for work. Good luck on your (potential) new dog!
__________________
Mia CGC
Summer TG2 TBAD
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-08-2006, 12:02 PM
SizzleDog SizzleDog is offline
Lord Cynical
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,318
Default

$2000 is probably a good estimate. It's not hard to save that much, especially when you're young and don't have to worry about utility bills, credit card bills, rent.... yadda yadda yadda.

Ilsa was $1000 as a pet back in early 2002... Ronin was more - he cost me less than usualy since he was abused and I co-owned him, but he was still a pretty penny.

I don't regret a single cent of it though. They're worth it all, and more.

For a Golden, I'd imagine you'd need a table with a grooming arm and noose, a dryer, brushes, shears, towels, a dremel... and don't forget some nice show outfits!

Luckily, conformation training seems to be pretty cheap - I only pay $3 per hour, once a week. And a lot of the training can be done at home.

Show leads can be cheap, but it seems to be the trend in Goldens to have super-fancy show leads. I just bought Ronin a new show lead, and it ended up costing about $80... for ONE lead. But he's been shown for about a year on a $15 lead before we bought the "ritzy" lead!
__________________



Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-08-2006, 12:08 PM
SizzleDog SizzleDog is offline
Lord Cynical
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,318
Default

Thanks showpug! I've been told that he'd have a much better shot with a handler, but Ronin cannot go out with a handler - he's too wary of strange people, and was punched by his handler hired by his previous owners... as a result, Ronin does not trust strange people taking him into the ring.

Buuuuuttt.... I don't think I'll be having much trouble, now that he's maturing nicely... ;


__________________



Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Lizmo's Avatar
Lizmo Lizmo is offline
Water Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AL
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
$2000 is probably a good estimate. It's not hard to save that much, especially when you're young and don't have to worry about utility bills, credit card bills, rent.... yadda yadda yadda.

Ilsa was $1000 as a pet back in early 2002... Ronin was more - he cost me less than usualy since he was abused and I co-owned him, but he was still a pretty penny.

I don't regret a single cent of it though. They're worth it all, and more.

For a Golden, I'd imagine you'd need a table with a grooming arm and noose, a dryer, brushes, shears, towels, a dremel... and don't forget some nice show outfits!

Luckily, conformation training seems to be pretty cheap - I only pay $3 per hour, once a week. And a lot of the training can be done at home.

Show leads can be cheap, but it seems to be the trend in Goldens to have super-fancy show leads. I just bought Ronin a new show lead, and it ended up costing about $80... for ONE lead. But he's been shown for about a year on a $15 lead before we bought the "ritzy" lead!
$80 FOR A SHOW LEAD!!!!

Holy COW!!!

Where would you go for Comformation training? The Breeder?

I would like to show dogs when I get older but also have a Traning Facilitly...some day

What are Shears? Like Scissors?
__________________

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-08-2006, 01:49 PM
SizzleDog SizzleDog is offline
Lord Cynical
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,318
Default

I go to the local kennel club - the instructor changes every month, and the instructors vary in experience. This month's instructor is a Dachshund breeder and judge!

My breeder actually goes to a collie breeder's facility for training... even though she's been breeding since the 1960's - they treat it more like an open session though. I've been there once, but my breeder is in another state and I only went to help corral puppies.

And yes, shears are scissors. Goldens require quite a bit of grooming - a friend of mine shows goldens. (see photos at http://www.everythinggolden.com/nick's_kids.htm )

You'll need to find a mentor in Goldens that can teach you how to groom - they're groomed to the nines for the show ring! Those tidy, pretty feet can take a very long time to learn how to groom...
__________________



Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site