Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Bobsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by otch1 View Post
Hi Ruckus' mom... (very naughty Zoom!! Lol) To remove ear glue, go to hardware store and buy "adhesive remover". I assume you used surgical or leather glue. It will come in a spray bottle in 2 different types, oil or water base. Either is fine. Do not spray ear. Take Q-tip or cotton balls and saturate, then hold base of ear and massage Q-tip inside creased glued area, slowly seperating tip of ear from the rest of the ear. Work your way thru inside of ear until it's loose. Then hold tip of ear up, take saturated cotton ball and clean up the entire inside of ear. Finish off by wiping with a warm water soaked paper towel. Don't leave the solvent on ear. some puppies will take their paws and rub ears over their head, past eyes and down muzzle. You want to make sure they don't get anything in their eyes. Good luck!
Some adhesive removers like Goof-off are pretty toxic. I don't think I would want to get that stuff near any pet of mine. By the way, why were the dog's ears taped in the first place

Last edited by Bobsk8; 11-06-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

They are toxic... unfortunately, that's what works for getting surgical and leather glue off of skin. Anything else and you'll have a hugh mess, or will possibly tear out fur and leave sores. Won't hurt the dog unless you get it in eyes. That's why it's important Ruckus' mom you just saturate a Q-tip and slowly work your way thru crease and glued hair, slowly letting glue break down and seperate hairs. Ears on this breed are glued Bobsk8, to get them to tip properly. Generally, glued by the breeder and then puppy is sent to owner that way. It can be messy!
Old 11-06-2006, 07:04 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

EVERYONE ask me that
i tell them and they think i am crazy.
i had THREE people tell me that was mean. lol
Old 11-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Bobsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by otch1 View Post
They are toxic... unfortunately, that's what works for getting surgical and leather glue off of skin. Anything else and you'll have a hugh mess, or will possibly tear out fur and leave sores. Won't hurt the dog unless you get it in eyes. That's why it's important Ruckus' mom you just saturate a Q-tip and slowly work your way thru crease and glued hair, slowly letting glue break down and seperate hairs. Ears on this breed are glued Bobsk8, to get them to tip properly. Generally, glued by the breeder and then puppy is sent to owner that way. It can be messy!
Oh, so the dog's ears are no good unless they are glued....... OK.........
Old 11-06-2006, 07:09 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

its for looks?
shelties are supposed to have tipped ears...
for example... it would be a big fault if you had an akc show dog without tipped ears. that is just how it is suppose to be. honestly any reputable collie or sheltie breeder tips the ears....

whats so wrong with that

The correct Sheltie ear is beautiful. It contributes to a soft, intelligent expression and gives an alert look to the entire dog. It is set high, opening forward, semi-erect. The top third of the leather breaks forward with no inclination to turn to the sides. The ear itself is small in relation to the head; the leather strong, yet flexible, and of medium thickness.

Unfortunately for the breeder, ears can be difficult. They are influenced not only by heredity, but also by emotional stress, teething, puberty, coat loss, temperature, hormone changes, calcium assimilation, humidity, and age. And to top this off, they rarely inherit as predicted.

Some ears are perfect regardless of the environment and others are utterly hopeless. The majority of ears, however, can be helped at crucial times - especially during teething from about 10 weeks of age to nine months.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I use Uni-Solve adhesive remover - it's made for skin and it's not as harsh as some of the other products. If you haven't already tried the others, you might want to see if you can find it at a pharmacy or something.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 11-06-2006, 08:41 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsarebetter View Post
shelties are supposed to have tipped ears...
for example... it would be a big fault if you had an akc show dog without tipped ears. that is just how it is suppose to be. honestly any reputable collie or sheltie breeder tips the ears....
it never ceases to fascinate me how important completely artifical aspects are in the show ring. we put dogs in the conformation ring to evaluate them for breeding purposes, no? and yet the ear "set" (tipped, cropped, whatever) on so many breeds is completely man-made and artificial.

it's so bizarre.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:42 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

oh yeah... and all the moose, hairspray, hair DYE, chalk...
its a turn off
Old 11-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Bobsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
it never ceases to fascinate me how important completely artifical aspects are in the show ring. we put dogs in the conformation ring to evaluate them for breeding purposes, no? and yet the ear "set" (tipped, cropped, whatever) on so many breeds is completely man-made and artificial.

it's so bizarre.
I agree 100%.....
Old 11-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

The difference between ear cropping and ear tipping is that tipped ears CAN be natural. Sort of like welsh pembroke corgis... some of them are born with short little tails, and some of them aren't and therefore have their tails docked.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog