Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisMorphine View Post
The "no-kill" shelters around here will either return them to the previous owners or ship them off to kill shelters to take care of them.
I've seen a number of "no kill" shelters do that.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 11-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Fuzzy Pants

The idea, IMO, of no-kill shelters is great. Most kill shelters do not give a very long time for the animals to be adopted out. But perhaps, no-kill shelters should have fostor homes, more like a lot of breed rescues do.

It seems like a double-edged sword, but there's ways to make it better than what it is. It's just the point of getting there.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Top Dog

It can run both ways. Our shelter is "no kill" but we do have occasional temperment issues and illnesses that prove to be fatal. We also have a closed door policy. We are very close with animal control, which is right next door and take all of our animals from there. Most of th animals at AC will still be put to sleep. Its not a perfect solution, but its the best we can do. You do have to take special steps to prevent animals from becoming too institutionalized. We have foster homes who do long term foster for some of our dogs who show the strain of being there too long. We are also sending some longtimers to be trained at the prison. Several times a year we have "Bark for the Big Dogs" when dogs who have been there for a certain length of time are showcased and adopted out at a reduced fee. We do the best for them, but some will go "cage crazy" and slip through the cracks.
On the other hand, there is a cats only rescue group un town that operates through foster homes and I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Over 300 cats living in one house, Leukemic positive cats mixing with Leukemic negative ones. It's just terrible.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Sled Dog Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
On the other hand, there is a cats only rescue group un town that operates through foster homes and I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Over 300 cats living in one house, Leukemic positive cats mixing with Leukemic negative ones. It's just terrible.
Ugh, we just recently had a similar operation get shut down in my town. A woman was found to be warehousing over 150+ cats, with support from a larger national cat rescue organization (which hadn't checked up on this woman in quite a while, just sent her supplies and money). Apparently this woman was also practicing spays and neuters IN HER OWN HOME on these cats (and no, she is not a licensed vet). I read in the paper last week that the court case is still going on, but the shelter got permission to start adopting out the cats because the woman agreed to sign them over.

I hope that woman rots in jail.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 11-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

This is a little off topic but not much.
The rescue group that I work with is no kill and once an animal is with us, they will not be put down due to unadoptability. All of our dogs, puppies, cats and kittens are fostered. Foster parents care for them until they are adopted or if they're not adopted. The beauty of the rescue center is that anyone adopting a pet from us signs an agreement to bring the animal back to us if it doesn't work out. I've seen this happen twice and both times the dogs found new homes within about an hour of them being dropped off.
My husband and I foster puppies only because we have to put our dogs first. Needless to say we haven't brought any back after adoption day.
One more thing and I'll shut up...The people who already have fallen in love with one of the animals after seeing him or her on the web all have something very special about them. They show up litterally hours before adoptions start and after adoptions start they stand there like they have ants in their pants waiting to finally cuddle the fur baby they couldn't stop thinking about. It's a wonderful thing to experience and I cry every time. Especially if it's one of my fosters they came to take home.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Rescue Ranger

Most no-kill shelters are limited access facilities, which means that they only accept animals when they have resources available for their care. Some of the shelters that I am affiliated with are no-kill. They are networked with several other organizations, so animals that stay at the shelter for several weeks without any adoption interest are transported to a different shelter within the network, where their chances for adoption are greatly improved. This system has worked very well. The key to actually helping these animals is to get them placed quickly because being incarcerated for a long period of time in a shelter enviornment is not good for them mentally or physically. Transporting has been a blessing because animals that are not very adoptable in one part of the State may be highly desirable in another. One of the local kill shelters has also joined the transport network and they have reduced the number of animals that they euthanize by about 50%. Animals that are still not adopted after making the rounds usually wind up in a foster home or at a sanctuary like mine. The bad thing about a no-kill is that they have to turn animals away if they do not have room for them, but the good thing is that the animals that do find themselves in one are going to wind up in a good home, the key is to get it done in a timely fashion.

Edited to add that I agree with Summitview...the no-kill terminology is often a misnomer...I don't know of any shelter that will not have an animal put to sleep if they are very sick or very agressive...most screen so they rarely get a mean or sick animal, but the term low-kill is actually more accurate.

Last edited by SeniorPetLover; 11-06-2006 at 12:03 PM.