Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-05-2006, 01:21 AM
Gig 'Em Ags Gig 'Em Ags is offline
JP Cattle Co.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 810
Default Digging to China.....

Howdy Folks!!! Why-oh-Why do my Kelpies dig??????????????? They work cattle. They have an abundance of toys. They interact with my other dogs and humans, yet, they continue to dig, and dig, and dig, and dig,...........!!!!! We've exhausted all methods of resolving this problem, sans any harsh treatment outside of verbal discipline. My Vaqueros called me tonight in Corpus Christi with information that the 'lil fellows have dug several holes that
you could conceal an M1 Abrams Tank!! Any suggestions to curb this behavior is most appreciated...HELP ME STOP THIS DIGGING!!!!! Thank You!!!

Last edited by Gig 'Em Ags; 11-05-2006 at 01:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2006, 02:02 AM
~Tucker&Me~ ~Tucker&Me~ is offline
and Spy.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: B.C.
Posts: 4,940
Default

I've heard that providing them with a sandbox helps .

~Tucker
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2006, 07:35 AM
Gig 'Em Ags Gig 'Em Ags is offline
JP Cattle Co.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 810
Default

Howdy Tucker!!! We tried the sandbox bit and they soon tired of that ploy. Thanks anyways!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
I've heard that providing them with a sandbox helps .

~Tucker
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Zoom's Avatar
Zoom Zoom is offline
Twin 2.0
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 40,737
Default

Fill the holes with poop. You can put a thin layer of dirt on top if you don't want to look at it, but since most dogs will avoid getting their paws dirty like that at all costs, it should work. Plus, it's the ultimate in a renewable resource! You might have patches of really green grass though...wait, it's Texas...you'll have patches of really soft dirt with the occasional really green grass stem on it.

Is it a specific spot they're digging? Are they trying to "den" or just make a cooler spot to chill out in? Or are the holes scattered willy-nilly. Maybe they're trying to make their own cattle guards?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Gig 'Em Ags Gig 'Em Ags is offline
JP Cattle Co.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 810
Default

Howdy Zoom!!! They dig in a random manner, and yes, we attempted the poop bit but they just dig elsewhere. Amazingly, we actually have grass, considering the torrential downpours we've had this year. Perhaps they are trying make their own cattle guards!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Fill the holes with poop. You can put a thin layer of dirt on top if you don't want to look at it, but since most dogs will avoid getting their paws dirty like that at all costs, it should work. Plus, it's the ultimate in a renewable resource! You might have patches of really green grass though...wait, it's Texas...you'll have patches of really soft dirt with the occasional really green grass stem on it.

Is it a specific spot they're digging? Are they trying to "den" or just make a cooler spot to chill out in? Or are the holes scattered willy-nilly. Maybe they're trying to make their own cattle guards?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Zoom's Avatar
Zoom Zoom is offline
Twin 2.0
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 40,737
Default

This is one of those things where you have to be more diligent than the dogs. This means filling each and every one of those holes...they'll either get the point or you'll have the greenest, most interesting looking lawn in the county.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Gig 'Em Ags Gig 'Em Ags is offline
JP Cattle Co.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 810
Default

I suspect we'll have mighty green grass!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
This is one of those things where you have to be more diligent than the dogs. This means filling each and every one of those holes...they'll either get the point or you'll have the greenest, most interesting looking lawn in the county.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site