Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-05-2006, 11:30 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole's Mom View Post
Pit bulls and other bully breeds have been banned in the Denver area. I am sure they have been banned in some Canadian cities also. The DPCA and the parent Rottie club have been very active in fighting BSL. They have defeated some attempts in CA and Kansas. These laws are cropping up everywhere.

Cole's Mom
listing of places where BSL is currently in effect

dog legislation council of canida has a terrific webpage that includes information on the financial cost of bsl, as well as all kinds of other stuff. they're currently fighting the pit bull ban in ontario.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Top Dog

That is interesting Cole. Thanks for posting.

Grammy, your comment about chaining up dogs is VERY pertinent as a matter of fact. That is one big cause of aggression. If chaining would be banned, that would be one link in the chain of prevention of aggression. It is ALL about owner responsibility.

Elegy..we posted together so I missed yours...gonna go take a look at those links.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Dobe Lover

Here are a couple of others.

http://www.dogbitelegalcenter.com/re...tatistics.html
http://www.fataldogattacks.com/

Cole's Mom
Old 11-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Please don't try to hi-jack such an important thread with such an ignorant, inflammatory statement.

As to the real topic, ALL dog owner's, no matter the breed, must join together to stop this from happening. BSL has never been proven to work as it is represented to. After they ban all the larger breeds they WILL move onto the smaller one. It's a vicious cycle of extermination of perfectly good animals based on media influence and the promotion of false information. Our rights are being taken over by Big Brother Government and it will not stop until we make enough noise against these laws, forcing them, and the people who listen to them, to acknowledge the truth.

BSL sucks.....
Wow, calm down....no need to get your panties in a twist.

When talking about BSL, chaining issues are irrelevant to BSL laws. Therefor, any comment on chaining is irrelevant to the thread. If you want to discuss chaining, I would be more than willing to do so....On a different thread.

I live in Ontario where BSL is taken very seriously and to start a side issue that is very inflammatory to certain people takes away from the discussion.

I was not rude or nasty and I attacked no-one, contrary to what you are now doing to me.

Ignorant means uninformed, not stupid.....To make such a blanket type comment about chaining is ignorant.

I have had the unfortunate experience of having to kill APBT's at the SPCA I worked at because of the breed they were, perfectly fine animals with good temperaments.

I take BSL very personally having lost my dogs to the law. I refuse to spay or neuter my dogs and to keep them safe had to ship them out of Ontario. These were quality animals that I spent many years working with and miss deeply.

Now, if you all are done attacking me, lets please continue discussing the thread at hand. BSL

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Henry Wheeler Shaw
Old 11-05-2006, 11:58 AM
overdogged

the fatal dog attacks *book* is an excellent resource as well. also, dogs bite but balloons and slippers are more dangerous by janis bradley.

and not immediately pertaining to BSL or dog bites, but culture of fear: why americans are afraid of the wrong things by barry glassner is worth the time, too.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Top Dog

No comment , Drycreek . I think you missed the whole point.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Alpha Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Please don't try to hi-jack such an important thread with such an ignorant, inflammatory statement.
I see with seven posts you are quite new to participating on this forum. PLease take the time to read and know some of the members and issues on hand here before coming to conclusions. We have an excellent Mod crew on Chazhound and if you think someone 'hijacked' a thread or is abusive, you may report it via PM to a Moderator or myself and it is usually handled promptly.

I echo the Moderators, Grammy's post was not an ignorant or inflammatory statement. I will take it that the verbage and tone you used was inspired by your passion against Breed Specific Legislation and not just being mean.

I do agree with you though... BSL sucks....

Chazhound
Old 11-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Top Dog

Coles mom... I'll check sites you listed. Interested in a letter that is distributed to the "right individuals". Recognised behaviorist, psychologists, trainers and veterinarians. I know the list I have in mind, starting with Dr. Dunbar, Dr. S Coren, Dr. N. Dodman all who happen to own some of these breeds! They would be excellent supporters at the top of the list from a "Chaz protest letter", protesting these bans and why these experts are against it. That's why I'd also like to see the "Best Friends" list of experts. As for the Irish Wolfhounds being added to the list, several have mentioned... I believe I know why that came about. Year before last, at a very large dog show in the U.S. 2 dogs "posturing" outside of a ring, a growl here, growl there, tried to pass each other in the isleway. Both the small breed and the Irish Wolfhound lunged at each other. The Irish got ahold of the other dog and killed it in front of all of the spectators, kids, other exhibitors and judges. It was written up in most of the show magazines, AKC articles. I will try to find it. A devastating day for the handlers, owners and dogs involved.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by otch1 View Post
Year before last, at a very large dog show in the U.S. 2 dogs "posturing" outside of a ring, a growl here, growl there, tried to pass each other in the isleway. Both the small breed and the Irish Wolfhound lunged at each other. The Irish got ahold of the other dog and killed it in front of all of the spectators, kids, other exhibitors and judges. It was written up in most of the show magazines, AKC articles. I will try to find it. A devastating day for the handlers, owners and dogs involved.
I remember that, how horrible.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 11-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Kiss&Tell

Banning an Irish Wolfhound?!?!?!

WTF why??

Whoever made that list has never owned one before....

"watch out... I may be vicious"
My page: http://www.myspace.com/irishdancer2