Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Corgi bum

Default Chloe keeps gaining weight!!

Hi everyone,

I'm really having problems with Chloe gaining so much weight!!! She has always had the tendency to be a bit chubby, but since she had her puppies, and is now spayed, she has gained alot of weight. We feed her twice a day, the same amount each time, as directed by the recommendation from her vet, and she just keeps getting heavier. She should weigh between 27-30 pounds. We weighed her last night and she weighs 44 lbs!!! We take her for walks, but it's getting to the point where she has to stop and lay down while going on a short walk. I'm really getting worried about her. She makes alot of noise when she breathes to, but she has pretty much always done that.

Any suggestions?

Dena
Old 04-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Felurian

What's she eating, Dena? It may be time for a change of food, as well as an adjustment in the amount.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Corgi bum

She is eating "Exclusive" food. I also give her a bit of chicken and vegetables two times per week. I adjust her dry food accordingly when I do that. It's funny...since I have cut her food back a bit, she seems to be gaining more weight.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Felurian

When I switched the dogs from the regular Innova to the EVO formula Shiva dropped every bit of the baby pudginess she'd had. I can only think it was because of the significantly different protein/carb balance in the food. You might need to explore changing the ratio of proteins to carbs in a similar manner.

It's entirely possible that she's gaining even though her food is being cut back. Her metabolism could be doing what ours does when we diet too much; deciding we're being starved and slowing down to conserve nutrients.

It might be helpful to spread her meals out over several smaller portions throughout the day as well.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Corgi bum

That makes sense Renee. I know for myself, when I starve I sometimes gain weight. I might just switch her food to see if that helps. I'm worried about her health, carrying all of that extra weight with those little short legs.

Thanks for your help.

Dena
Old 04-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Felurian

Charley didn't believe me when I told him Shiva was carrying too much fat around. There were rolls above her tail when she'd stand up on her hind legs! Now that she's lost it and is sleek as an otter he can see the difference, lol!

One of these days I'm afraid I'm just going to give up and put myself on an EVO diet . . .

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Corgi bum

LOL....hmmm....maybe thats what I need.

I know that before I had my kids, I could eat whatever I wanted, and now...forget it!!!! I had never had to struggle with my weight until after child birth. Maybe thats what happened to Chloe.

Thanks for your help Renee.

Dena
Old 04-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Top Dog

I heard that when dogs get spayed or neutered they tend to eat more. I don't know why but people say that. Do you guys think it has to do with their inbalance hormones?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Corgi bum

I know that in humans it is a hormone inbalance, so it would make sense that it would be the same in dogs. Those hormones sure can be a problem at times.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:54 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

is it possible that anyone else in the house is slipping her food? i have to watch everyone or mary who can beg like a champ would weigh a hundred pounds instead of her 70.