Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 11-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

Hi BostonBanker--I agree about the fussy head and I asked her about it the other day--the trainer admitted he is fussy if pushed for collection, but she thinks he will work through it eventually--that might wind up being the deal breaker on this horse. I also was hoping not to go quite that green this time. I've had very very green horses before and it has been fine, but this time, for once, I wanted to go more experienced . But something about him still appeals to me, so I will take a look. There is one and possibly 2 other horses for me to look at in Virginia--I might make a weekend out of it. I promised myself I am taking my time this time--I am in no hurry to get another horse. I don't have to have one until I get my horse property all settled probably late next spring--and then I need another horse so my current one won't be alone. I just can't resist looking though!
Also, I don't know what my thing is with spots lately, but the other horse I want to go see (figures its in Ontario! LOL!) is this one at www.123apache.com. Its probably more horse than I need for my goals, but wow, would it be nice to have a "schoolmaster" for a change! Thanks so much for the insights and please anyone else feel free to chime in! This is really so helpfull to me!
Old 11-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Top Dog

Hi Saje---hmm, I didn't really notice the tippy toeing, I will have to take a closer look. Do you think its a soundness thing , or just the way he moves? Not that it should make a difference, but the trainer did mention he is barefoot at this time.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I've had very very green horses before and it has been fine, but this time, for once, I wanted to go more experienced .
I hear you! I got my horse as a 3 year old who had about 20 rides under his belt. I adore him, but I swear my next horse is going to be at least eighteen! My obsession is with the old guys.

You do love those spots, huh?

I keep trying to think of horses around here that fit your needs - for once, there aren't many horses at either of my barns for sale! Babies, dressage horses, and a couple of $$$ hunters. And no Appys

Have a fun weekend horse shopping!

Old 11-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Don't encourage me..

In my honest opinion.... Not going to pull punches (sorry) he's not a sound investment.

His back is too long.. I personally prefer a jumper to be much more closely coupled, it makes for less strain on the lower back when jumping regularly. Plus he will have alot less power than a shorter backed horse.

His shoulder is too upright, will make him choppy in his movement and uncomfortable to be on for long periods of time. I can see from the picture of him trotting that he doesn't have alot of extention through the front leg.... This would worry me... especially for showing purposes.

His rear pasterns are too upright, not ideal for a jumper as it puts alot more strain on the legs, leading to splints and tendon injuries. Although with the height you have mentioned it probably wouldn't be a problem as long as the ground wasn't too hard. It's not something that I would be comfortable with, especially in an unproven 5 yr old.

I don't know if it's just the photo but he looks to me to be a little back at the knee??!

But if you go to see him and you feel a connection and fall in love then, sometimes you just have to go with your heart don't cha!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 11-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Island dweller

Just out of curiousity why would you want an appy for jumping? I mean, they are really neat horses and just gorgeous but that's not what they were bred for.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Island dweller

You could get a horse like this for the same price

http://horsetopia.horse-for-sale.org...fieds/ad149391
Old 11-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

Hi BostonBanker--yes the greenies can be rewarding but exhausting--my current horse I got at 2 yrs old--he is now 6 and is just my favorite horse ever--he is soo much fun and such a character and I think he gorgeous (of course! LOL!) He is an awesome trail horse and every once in awhile I take him to a fun/ games show. He is a gaited Rocky Mountain horse but can walk/trot/ canter if I need him to (most of the time anway!) As much as I love him and enjoy him--I'm itching to return to the local hunter circuit I've been away from for more than 4 years --now that I am getting a property and can justify the second horse--I want it to be something I can go back to the circuit with, but doesn't have to be "A" show material--just something I feel safe with and can have some fun on while being reasonably competitive.
Oh, and no spots required! I have NEVER been attracted to spots before--I don't know whats gotten into me the past few days! My only absolute requirements are a gelding, close to 16h or better, sound, that I get along with.
Gustav, thank you for that analysis, I am always grateful for people who can do that kind of analysis--a lot of times I don't trust my own opinions when it comes to stuff like that. I don't know if I will jump enough to cause him problems, but it is defintely something to consider. I'll look, but be keeping all this stuff very much in mind.
Saje, I know Appy's aren't all made for jumping--in fact I've occasionally had some rather disparaging things to say about Appy's, but, this horse is a cross--as is the other horse I posted the link to. Apparently there are numerous successfull spotted sport horses that are crosses with appy type markings that are very good jumpers etc. As mentioned above I don't know whats come over me with these spotted horses, but I'm checking it out anway--but that doesn't mean I'm getting one--just satisfying my curiosity and seeing what happens.
Thats a beautiful hunter in that link--but, and I hope no one takes offense, I am just so not a TB person. I've ridden and known many nice TB's, but they are just not for me.
I will keep everyone posted on my quest! I know there are several more horse owners who are on here who might not have seen this yet. I am really learning a lot from this so please keep the posts coming and tell others you know to join in! I'll post more info and updates as I get them--and might even posts some more horse ads. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Island dweller

It's not offensive at all if you don't like a breed. This has to be your decision. It's your horse you're going to be working with. I know I was and probably always will be a diehard arab fan. My first horse was an arab and I just loved her to death. I got pulled into that circle But I find myself liking all breeds now and seeing the strong points in them. They all have something to offer That doens't mean I'd buy them all! lol
Old 11-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Don't encourage me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmh1 View Post
Gustav, thank you for that analysis, I am always grateful for people who can do that kind of analysis--a lot of times I don't trust my own opinions when it comes to stuff like that. I don't know if I will jump enough to cause him problems, but it is defintely something to consider. I'll look, but be keeping all this stuff very much in mind.
No problem, that's what I am here for!! I am a die hard jumper, starting on the 4ft circut next year with my new mare... If I know one thing it's jumpers!

A second opinion is always useful, sometimes you just go too far with the heart and not far enough with the head! You need to go with someone detached!! They will spot (Pardon the pun) something that you missed everytime!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 11-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Top Dog

Wow, 4ft!!!! That is awesome! Good luck, I know you will have a blast! I would love to hear all about your mare (you can pm me if you want) I hope you don't mind if I send you photos of some of my other "propspects". You seem to have a spectacular "eye"--What did you think of the horse at www.123apache.com ? Thanks again!