Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Walks into Mordor

The story of my heart dog is an extremely sad one. I don't think I've ever posted it before...it hurt too much. Still does.

My heart dog was Odin. I adopted him as a skinny, malnourished "Shepherd X" puppy from the animal shelter. He was the first dog that ware truly mine, not a family dog.

I was a college student, going through a hard time in my life. Odin was always there for me. We clicked on such an emotional level. I think it's because we recognized each other as two lost souls.

When Odin was about 8 months old, I called the Humane Society to give them and update and tell them what a wonderful dog he was. That's when the bad news hit. My "Shepherd X" was really the result of the breeding between a husky-wolf hybrid and a very aggressive and unstable rottweiler in an attempt to create "bad@ss" dogs. The BYB was trying to dump off more puppies (he got rid of the ones he couldn't sell), and he admitted to dumping Odin previously. I was shocked by this, but loved Odin so much. I wouldn't get rid of him for the world.

Odin grew into the most gorgeous dog I'd ever seen. Size and build of a rott, beautiful husky coat and mask. He'd literally stop traffic when I took him for a walk...drivers would pull over to gawk at him and ask what breed he was.

But as he matured, the problems started. Odin had a very strong wolf temperament. All the dreaded problems that are associated with hybrids, he had. Resource aggression, fear aggression, extreme dominance issues. My lovely pup grew into a fearful, feral adult. I did all the training I could, but it didn't work. Odin wasn't meant to be a dog.

After he bit a visitor to my house (fortunately just a bruise, not drawing blood), I decided it was time. Odin was living a life of misery. My dog didn't know what was happening to him...he was fearful all the time, and lashing out in panic.

I talked to Odin about what I was going to do. It broke my heart when, like he always did, he understood. I took him to the vet. My dog, who had become incredibly fearful of strangers, made no move to panic or get away then the vet inserted the needle. I said goodbye and comforted Odin as he passed.

RIP Odin. I will see you over the bridge, someday.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Top Dog

Gempress,

That is so sad and Odin's looks stunning. I can imagine him stopping traffic. Do you have any other photos of him you could share?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Twin 2.0

My favorite time of day with Sawyer is early in the morning when we're just waking up. He sleeps down at my feet (keeping them warm is his night job), but as I'm waking up, he will turn around and come put his head on my chest and we'll just stare into each others eyes as I stroke his head.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Big Dog

I have to say I have three love of my life. One when I was a child, my uncle had a black lab named Napoleon. Best dog ever somehow, he dissapeard. Then as a teen, my uncle gave us Napoleon's son that he had named Mathuzalem mix colley/lab. Mat was the best dog eve never barked not even when he was sprayed by a skunk. I would even though I was a teen, get up early so he could have his walk before I went to school. then the 3rd is Frisco I went to pick him up when my kids were very young Frisco was a mix colley and newfy. we had him from the age of 4-5 weeks old till he was 11 when we had to put him down. He was the best ever. I still carry a braid of his hair in my wallet, the kids all have a braid with them in their jewelery boxes and his picture is still all over the house even if it's been 4 years. we miss him In many ways, as I told my husband just last week, there is times when it feels like he is in Ginger. it's hard to explain but she is a lot like he was maybe that's why we fell in love with her so much
Old 11-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Odin wasn't meant to be a dog.
That says it right there. That is so sad. Why do people breed wolves with dogs? It is just so immoral. They are sooo not dogs. I'm so sorry that you had that painful time in your life.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:03 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
My favorite time of day with Sawyer is early in the morning when we're just waking up. He sleeps down at my feet (keeping them warm is his night job), but as I'm waking up, he will turn around and come put his head on my chest and we'll just stare into each others eyes as I stroke his head.
Jim and i had a discussion once about the morning waking up with your dog. I called it the morning love in..NOT LOVIN Has always been my most special time too. Those few minutes when time doesn't matter and all is quiet. Bronki and now victor warm in my arms. Mary thumping her glorious good morning and grunting as she wriggles her way up (she too sleeps at the foot of the couch) so i know just what you mean. Jim had never had dogs before but i knew he knew just what i meant for Annie and Garg would greet each new day the same way. When i brought it up Jim's eyes had that look, what i call "the heart look" so he knew what i was trying to say.

GEmpress i am just so terribly sorry

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeboxer View Post
Do you have any other photos of him you could share?
Sadly, I don't have many pictures of him. Most of them were on my old computer, which crashed and lost everything. I'll try to dig up some more---I think I may have a few floating around somewhere. Here's a puppy picture of him. I think he was about 5 months old in this pic. He loved the snow. If you look at his face, you can see a bit of the wolf in his features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
That is so sad. Why do people breed wolves with dogs? It is just so immoral. They are sooo not dogs.
I agree. Because of my experience with Odin, I am now extremely against the breeding of wolfdogs (hybrids). I know there are hybrids out there who are sweet, mellow, and as good a pet as any dog. Unfortunately, those are in the minority. I don't think it's worth breeding 5 wolfdogs to get one that has a suitable pet temperament.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I'm so sorry, Gempress. RIP to all the dogs who have been lost.
I've loved all my dogs, but Millie is my heart dog, and my mom's. She has been with me, through all the good times and the bad. SHe knows how I feel and acts accordingly. She comforts me when I need it, and she's always there to rest her head on my lap, and look up at me with her soulful eyes, that are just pools of love. She is part of my Mandy who had to put down and reminds me of her mama.
When my mom had cancer and was going through chemo and radiation, she would nuzzle and "tuck her in" but nudging blankets around the edge of her body. When she was having trouble or having a really bad spasm Millie would come and get us. My mom said that when it felt like she wasn't going to wake up if she kept sleeping she would reach out and touch Millie and she would bring her back.
The love I feel for her is just something I can't explain. I'd do anything for her, and she'd do absolutely everything for me. I don't know how I'm going to deal with losing her. How could life be without her? I don't know how I'll manage.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Pixie-Stick of course . Pixie was/is my heart dog for so many reasons. I never had a dog so in tune with my feelings. She protected me and saved me life a few times. She was the shadow and my bestfriend. All my friends knew where I went Pixie went and the backseat of my car belonged to her . She shared my bed and snored like no other. But I enjoyed cuddling up next to her since she kept the bed so warm. I can't even put into words or decribe how much I loved that dog. She really made me a better person I beleive. And though I only had her for a short time (RIP) she will always be my heart dog.

Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 11-04-2006, 01:28 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Gemp - you've mentioned Odin, and posted pics before. I've always thought he's a gorgeous boy!! Your story brought tears to my eyes... What a sweet and sad story ((((((hugs)))))

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o