Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Training the Trainer

Default Your heart dog

I'd like to hear some stories about the one dog that was the love of your life.

I had not heard the expression before I came to this site, and was pm-ing with one of the members, who said, `I guess Ruby is your heart dog'. I instantly identified with what she said, Ruby is my girl forever. I love my Chester, I love him to bits, but my Ruby is the one dog out of all the dogs I've had, who made me fully understand what a joy they are, and how you can fall so head-over-heels in love with them that they consume your whole life.

So, let's hear about yours - I'm looking forward to the laughter and the tears!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 11-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Top Dog

My "heart dog" is Caza. I love him SOOOOOOO much. I love all my dogs but he is definately 'the one' lol. His devotion to me is unbelievable, and I just love his outlook on life. He is fearless and very loving (to me anyways). I know as long as Caza is around I am protected. He's a hard-ass sometimes and looks menacing, but when its just me and him, whether we are sitting in the car, or on my bed (which I allow SOMETIMES, when I invite him) I just look in his eyes and all I see is love for me. Sometimes he makes me cry from just staring into his emotional eyes. He is a very sweet dog, once you look past his rough exterior. I love him to death, and I wouldnt change a thing about him.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Rusty but Trusty

My heart dog is definetely Hannah. She is, well to me, the perfect dog. She has SO many problems but we are working on them because I love her so much. When I'm sad she knows, even before Mark knows. When I'm happy she's there to play and be silly with me. I have been so depressed lately and she's ok with that too she just sits there by me incase I need to give someone a hug or I need a lick. She always seems to know when I need some lovin because she'll just put her head up on my lap and lick my hand. She loves me no matter what. I don't think you could ever find this kind of devotion and love from a human being.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Top Dog

I loved all my many Goldens , but for some reason my males ( yikes ....6 .. over the 60 years ) bonded with me more than my females . I loved them ALL , but my Bubba was the one who saw me through rough times and was always by my side . The others , in the same situations , would have done it too . So Bubba was , and will always be my heart dog . BUT........ maybe he and Chip sent me Ollie ! I've only had him 3 months , but if I reach 81 and he reaches 10 yrs .... who knows !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

Oh gosh....I have loved all my dogs, of course, just like everyone here. My GSD, Ajax was a wonderful dog and at that time, I bet he was my heart dog. I've loved my girls too. But like Grammy, it seems that the boys have all been less independent, more loyal.

I would have to say my Doberman, Lyric is probably the one I've had the closest bond with. I think we do more together than some of the past dogs and the way we work together has added that special something. He seems to know things which are a mystery to me. He's protected me. I've been so careful with him too, he's been a challenge in some ways. He's been the most loyal dog, stuck to me like glue and more of a partner in the things we do. (hey, I just noticed...that rhymed. LOL) It's really hard to describe why or what makes this bond different, isn't it. It's like you can't really put your finger on it.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:56 PM
*Biter*

My heart dog was Shelby, my previous Great Dane. We just went through so much together, and her loss was so very devastating to me.

You can read her memorial here:
http://www.leansnslobbers.net/shelby.html

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt
Old 11-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Top Dog

Not to sound like a sap, but I've had two "heart" dogs. My last Sheltie. I was fortunate to have had him for 15 years. He was the last puppy left out of a litter of 8. Very shy. Hid at the back of the whelping box they had him in and actually let out a very quiet growl when I picked him up. He shook all the way home in the car, thru the hour and a half drive. He spent the first week running behind the couch whenever he was let out to play in the livingroom. I thought I'd made a big mistake. After he and I spent more time alone together, he started to come around. By the time he was 8 months old, this puppy was so full of himself, there was no toning it down. He greeted everyone that came thru the door with a head butt to the legs, then wrapped himself around them. He pranced into my classes like he owned the place and gave me 100%, regardless of the environment. My clients thought he was the most amazing, well behaved, well trained, outgoing dog. He brought in so much business for me, people thinking this was all my doing. When in reality, he was one of the most intellegent dogs I've ever owned and taught me a great deal. He went everywhere with me. He loved and looked out for my kids. He was wonderful to show and to snuggle on the couch with. He made it thru a serious bout of cancer at 12 and I had him for 3 more years after that. He was going strong until Thanksgiving day, where he then went into my room, into his bed and didn't want to get up. The vet said the cancer was back and I needed to make a decision. The funny part was he'd said goodbye to everyone at the family dinner, my kids, made the rounds all day. And when I carried him into my vets the next morning, he said he was so full of cancer that he was amazed he was even able to function the day beforehand. I think he stuck around for me and every Thanksgiving someone in the family still brings him up, and we all remember him fondly. The second was my Dobie. A "rescue" of sorts, from a breeder and kennel owner I trained for. At 10 months he was not potty trained in the house, he destroyed the center cushion of their very expensive couch, among other things. When he came up from their house to the kennel business, he did drive-by nippings on the staff. Getting a thrill out of hearing a kennel worker squeal as he nipped them in the back of the leg or in the rear and continued running. The groomers didn't like him, customers were concerned when they saw him in the office. I was asked to take him home one Christmas for a month of board and train. I was thrilled when they asked me to keep him and find a new home for him after a couple of weeks. I pretended to look for the "right" owner, always finding something wrong with whomever came to look at him. After two months, I told her I wanted to keep him myself. He and I had bonded. My family loved him. There was never another accident. He slept with my son. Looked out for my kids when I got in late at night. He started being a demo dog in my obedience classes as well. He became my baby. He died of a liver disease after I had him for just 6 years. Without going into too much detail and sounding like a nut, my family was certain he was still in the house the day after he passed. He too was very special. I think I was very priveleged to have them.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Mistress Wigglebutt

My heart dog is Sarah, my 11 yr old Great Dane. It's difficult to explain at all. She has been with me her entire life, she is so faithful and quiet, and docile, a true joy to commune with.

-----
Puppy Whiskers, Callie Dog and my Angel, trimming and watering the grass at Rainbow Bridge while they wait for me.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Twin 2.0

Without having owned too many dogs period, I'm fairly certain that Sawyer my Aussie is my heart dog. I just knew he was special the moment I saw his picture and I've yet to regret having him! Like otch1 said, he makes me look awesome as a trainer!
Old 11-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Top Dog

Bless all the Heart Dogs in everyone's past . So many wonderful dogs ... so many wonderful stories and the nice things folks ... the best is yet to come for so many of you !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/