aggravated! just got Ruckus neutered

showpug

It' normal for dogs to come out of anesthesia just as you described. Keep him warm and comfy and prevent licking. He'll be just fine. Don't offer food or water until he's totally back to normal/awake...vomiting is a normal part of coming out of anesthesia for some dogs.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Well that's one of the reasons they like to keep animals over night. That is what a pet looks like post anethesia. Most pet owners aren't prepared for what condition the pet is in after surgery. You have to monitor them, keep them warm, and make sure they don't hurt themselves. They look very strange, kind of a wierd stare, and when they start to become more lucid, they try to move around, and this is when they are in huge danger. I have done this more than a few times and it's not a case of just bringing the dog or cat home. Different animals take different amounts of time to become themselves again, they all react in varying degrees. I've spent a few nights sleeping next to a cage and moving a cat around every few hours to get it going and help it peform basic functions without getting hurt. At least that's the way it is with cats.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
he is still in dopey land. but he is better.
he scared me because i had him laying next to me, and he jumped of the couch and ran up the stairs very disorented and wobbly. he had to potty SUPER bad. but luckily he didnt hurt himself getting up the 12 stairs. lol, he cant walk... he RUNS so i put him back into his crate.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Ruckus keeps licking himself! what can i do? i dont have an e collar (not the shock kind)
and i tried a t-shirt on him but he woud tangle himself up in it and fall!

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
..stay with him and stop him from doing it. He will need you to keep monitoring him until he's stable and then I suggest you call your vet and get a collar for him in the morning.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Don't panic. Everything you are seeing is really very common. Just make sure he doesn't hurt himself. It will take awhile before he has his land legs.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
he is looking so much better. still sleepy, it looks like he is ready to go back to sleep.

when i got one of my house rabbits spayed i took a sock and lightly pinned it around her sergical area where she wouldnt chew her staples. i wonder if there is a way to rig up something like that until the morning.
or even the t-shirt idea... he gets tangle in it, so maybe i can pull up the slack where its tighter and pin it up.
know what i mean?
when i picked up him i felt like a bad mommy. seeing him like that! the lady did warn me though, she said he was completely out of it.

when can i take him back to work with me, and take him on his walks... and play with him? they didnt tell me anything at the animal shelter.

his breeder told me not to feed him tonight, and just give a small amount of water for now. so he hasnt had any food, and i cant get him to drink

otch1

He should be better by morning. Each dog reacts differently to anesthesia. Sorry to hear they let Ruckus go home still "under". It can be disturbing for some owners to see for the first time. Don't spray anything on the site, since they used glue verses sutchers. If a knotted t-shirt isn't working, is their a pair of boxers in your household? Don't tell anyone you're "borrowing" them. Lol. Adjust the slack to fit him and give him something to chew on, to take his mind off of the discomfort. Try ice cubes. He can be active again in several days. He's lucky he got to stay home with mom tonight and it sounds like he deserves some scrambled eggs for breakfast!

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Boxers are a great idea!

You'll know when he's ready to resume his activities. But for now, he is going to have a squirrely night. You too. Make some coffee. lol.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
yeah, it does sound like scrabled eggs or something like that for breakfast. but i am not suppose to feed him any more people food for a while, because i said so.
he has been having pooing problems lately and i bet its from cheese and peanut butter.

anyway... yup sure we got some boxers i could use. i am glad you thought of that.

you are so much help! did you know that :p

otch1

Not a problem... you are a great "dog mom" . Scrambled eggs, well done, shouldn't give him diahrea. Just a thought. Also, there's a very nice little pressure point in his ear, that will relax him, help him thru nausea and get him to sleep. Lay on the floor on your left side, dog lays down with you, his spine against your stomach. Spooning, if you will. Encourage him to lay his head down. Take your thumb on the outside of ear, index finger on inside of ear and massage ear very slowly from the base out to the tip. The majority of pressure coming from your thumb. Go back to base of ear and do again. Sounds a little weird, I know, but it will help him sleep if his stomachs upset again. It knocks out all of my "anxious" training dogs. It'll help you relax too if you're worried about him and unable to sleep.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Ruckus is still sleeping. he is laying on the couch right now. he drank some water and i gave im a few pieces of dry kibble.
he is STILL a bit dissoriented! when he was drinking water he put his nose way down in it. his eyes are so heavy looking. i hope by this afternoon he will be himself.
his is already jumping up on furnature again, and is going to the stairs to tell us he needs to potty.

thanks for the tip otch, but his ears are taped and glued at the moment and i cant touch his inner ear... since the are folded down like that. lol, he is so good with keeping his ears taped, its been on for a month now.. AND its crappy tape

Members online

No members online now.