Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Active Pup

Default Ideal Living Space for Dogs

Hello, my name is Richard and I am an architecture student currently doing a project on high rise living. I am trying to design an apprtment block that would be suitable for dog lovers and would love it if anyone could tell me what they think would be essential to make it work.

What would be in your ideal home as a dog lover?
What would make a home more dog friendly? Maybe how you would change your own home to better suit the dog.

Thanks. Richard
Old 04-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Big Mutts

Hey Rich, don't know if this might help but: My dad works at retirement home, they are allowed to have dogs, but have to put them in a kennel and wheel them outside (to prevent lawsuits if someone may get bit) would be extremely difficult for the older people to even have medium sized dog, I was thinking separate elevators for dog people. Ideally everyone could get outside without bumping in to others, maybe a big patio where they could have grass planted to do *business* Just some thoughts
Old 04-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Big Mutts

Oh and a slide out bin to put dogfood in like some of the trashcans are now (trashcan too, so dog couldn't get in it so easy) And maybe same thing to put crate in for storage Or sliding gates for when you're not at home
Old 04-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Felurian

That's an interesting project, Richard.

I'll definitely do some pondering . . .

Right offhand, I'd say one of the most important things would be to put soundproofing insulation between apartments.

A separate entrance/exit for use with dogs that passes through a mud room would be appreciated by all - especially the janitorial staff, and a dog washing facility would be a boon to all; not just the dog owners!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Top Dog

Oh, great ideas! How about a dog-friendly dog park type courtyard with grassy area in the middle surrounded by tables and chairs on brick flooring for dog owners to socialize while their dogs play? Supplied of course with those little posts with poop bags and bin for disposal such as you see at apt. complexes now?
Old 04-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Disappointed :(

A 'dogwash' at a ground entrance would be a great idea - I've actually seen a large holiday appartment complex in Spain where there was a car / jetwash and 'dogwash' (large tub+shower in a cubicle) at the main entrance! Otherwise any communal areas would get wet/muddy - esp if carpeted as some London appartment hallways are.
Otherwise considerations I've thought off off-hand would be safe balconies/outside walkways/stairways and windows (which are probably mandatory for humans these days anyways).... no room for critters to squeeze through
and outside poop bins in communal fenced-in green areas w/benches would be great

wonder if the postman/mailman would get 'danger money' for visiting this block
Old 04-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

How about using the roof of the building with a few kennels, grassy area, and an area they can be turned out to pot ....This could be a fairly large area with pea gravel (or pee gravel..haha) With the pick up bags and a covered can to dispose.. Brick walks with benches and container pots of flowers , small trees etc. Would really appeal to go there rather than walk outside on leach.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:33 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

GOOD FLOORING!!! no carpets..let them put down throw rugs or something like that if they want padding! I would so love to throw everybit of the carpet right out of the door and have my good hardwood floors back! They got stuff made of plastic now that looks like wood.but wears like concrete. That is what i would want and i would think the owner would too.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
GOOD FLOORING!!! no carpets..let them put down throw rugs or something like that if they want padding! I would so love to throw everybit of the carpet right out of the door and have my good hardwood floors back! They got stuff made of plastic now that looks like wood.but wears like concrete. That is what i would want and i would think the owner would too.
I need that! My poor old (once) beautiful hard oak floors (thoughout my house) are worn down to the core and look like barn planks! I had them refinished once, but what's the point? Guess I'm going for that "rustic" look
Old 04-10-2005, 09:20 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i like the rustic look! Especially in the old dime store downtown,,the flooring i saw in a magizine looked just like wood..but was a new hard plastic instead. That and the heated concrete floor rule too.they can mix colors into them and they look great.