Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 11-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Top Dog

If you're interested in guardian or flock dogs, you might especially enjoy the book, Dogs, a Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior and Evolution by Ray and Lorna Coppinger. It's a fascinating book and there's a lot of discussion about guardian dogs, herding dogs, sled dogs and more, how domestic dogs came to be, a lot of scientific evidence and theory, very detailed....I enjoyed this book immensely. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:09 AM
LillyLovr

Default Guardian Dogs

Thanks for the book suggestion Doberluv, I'll check the local library. Actually, the whole thing with Teddy and the geese was a total accident. I didn't put two and two together until the vet identified him as an Akbash cross. I was just plain amazed that he was so good with the geese. At this point, I'm planning to sell this rural property in the Spring and will leave the large dog thing to the next owner. Lilly is going to be a small dog that will hopefully be a better choice for a smaller piece of property. Also, I would hesitate to have another dog with such a dense coat. It gets so hot here in the Summer. Poor Teddy suffered so much during the heat. Seems to me that this breed belongs in a cooler climate.

However, the fascination with Guardians remains. I actually came across an Akbash doing his/her thing in my area. Out on a Sunday ride in the way out back, on a dirt road, I came across a herd of sheep. There was no house, farm or ranch in sight. But there was the Akbash and a dog house sitting on a hill. It appeared to me that the dog was out there alone--left to care for the sheep. LillyLover
Old 11-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Top Dog

Wow, that's a rare sight I bet...to see that rare dog out there with the sheep. I hope everything works out for Teddy.