Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-31-2005, 06:58 PM
Active Pup

Question Science Diet made puppy sick

I got my puppy 4 days ago. Since they were feeding her Science Diet I decided to continue feeding her the same. I had heard before that it is not a very good food, but I didnt want to change it because she was already used to it.

She got sick and I took her to the vet who said it was the food that made her sick. He only recomends raw food diets, so he wont tell me which dry dog food is better. I have been reading online about dog foods and have decided to try Innova puppy.

Should I change her food a little at a time? or should I just start feeding the Innova puppy food tomorrow? My puppy is a miniature poodle. Any advice would be great!
Old 03-31-2005, 07:00 PM
Island dweller

Good for you for looking into it.

Innova EVO is the best. If you can't get that there other products are really good as well. They make it to be as close to eating raw as possible.

I think it's best to change their food over gradually. Some dogs are fine eating a variety of food... my dogs are. But some are more sensitive. Hope that helps
Old 03-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Felurian

Truthfully, I'd go ahead and make the switch to the Innova. You might have a few days of loose stools, but that will pass and she'll be much, much better off.

I am so glad to hear a vet call Science DIEt what it is!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Not crazy...

Yeah. Mix in a little of the Innova food at a time with the science diet, increasing the amout of Innova and decreasing the amount of science diet every day until your pup is eating 100% Innova food.

Buster, 11 weeks
Old 03-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Don't encourage me..

Well if she's getting sick, I agree with Renee just change straight away!
With Mordy's help am looking into a raw food diet for Gustav!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 03-31-2005, 09:50 PM
Quigleyfied

since your puppy is having trouble already, i would switch from the science diet without transitioning. start with the innova puppy (excellent choice by the way ) right away tomorrow and don't look back.

one thing you need to be aware of is that the innova is so much more concentrated tho, so do not feed the same amount of it as you were feeding of the science diet. this is very important, or you could end up having even more trouble.

i don't know which science diet food you were feeding, but assuming it was puppy food too, one cup of it has 375 kcal - while innova puppy has 500 kcal per cup. so you will be feeding only about 3/4 the total amount of science diet.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 03-31-2005, 11:17 PM
Top Dog

I want your vet. Mine complains at me all the time for feeding raw. He feeds his dogs cooked garbage, and he wonders why he has to deal with so much cancer in his patients! The best vet school in the country is just down the road...all of them can't be on the take from the big food corporations, can they?!
Old 04-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Top Dog

lol I was gonna say..I WANT YOUR VET TOO
Old 04-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Active Pup

I agree that you should just change to Innova right away...but like what Renee has mentioned, your puppy will be having loose stool as the body system is adjusting to the new food...after a few days your pup should be fine.

Feed your pup abt 4-5 times a day, giving small portions each time which will not sum up to the usual amount of the science diet that you had been giving.
Give her abt almost a week to get use to the new food and her stool should be back to normal. After that, you can increase her amount slowly.

My pup was like that too when I switched her food immediately. Now she is all fine!
Old 04-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Active Pup

I did switch her food the next day, and she didnt even get loose stool. She is feeling much better on the Innova puppy food! Thank You for all the great advice.