Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 11-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default How to bond with an independant puppy

Holly is a very independant puppy. She always wants to do her own thing and doesn't want attention when you want to give it to her, only when she wants it will she enjoy the attention. She is great with her obedience and she will come when called, usually. Sometimes if she is doing something that she really likes she will stop and look at you but outright refuse to come to you. I always treat her, or give her a lot of praise when she does come to me when I call her. She nows sit and will sit instantly when she sees you with a treat, or her food bowl. We are working on down and she is catching on to that great as well. I keep her leashed to me for a good portion of the day when she's inside because I have heard that makes a difference and will make her bond to me but I will do that for a few days and then let her have free roam agian and she will go back to her independant ways. Sometimes I get the feeling that she doesn't like me because when she sees Mark's friend's kids and when she sees Mark after he comes home from work she's really excited and wags her tail and everything but she never wags her tail for me . The only time she gets excited to see me is on the mornings I get up to take her outside. I know she probably likes seeing them because she doesn't see those kids all the time and she's excited to see Mark when he comes home from work but you would think she would show some emotion towards me.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Jerk.

Make her work for it, NILIF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 11-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Top Dog

Sound like a normal pup to me !! Be glad she's independent ! Yes, she loves you , no matter what . But when others enters her life .... new blood !! Don't forget ... this is Mark's dog !!! Milk it !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Make her work for it, NILIF?
Yup, we do that. We have always done that since we had Mack so it's just common practice in this house now. She sits when she wants attention and when I feed her she has to sit and she has to sit to get a treat as well. The only problem is that for a treat she will do ANYTHING but it's when we stop giving the treats she will refuse to do stuff. Like tonight I had started doing the come command and treating her for returning to me and now she thinks she can get a treat anytime she goes away and comes back. SO now she will go to the other side of the room and come back and expect a treat but if I tell her to sit and go to pet her she will move her head and immediately starting sniffing my hand thinking I had a treat. She is extremely food motivated but not motivated through positive praising.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Sound like a normal pup to me !! Be glad she's independent ! Yes, she loves you , no matter what . But when others enters her life .... new blood !! Don't forget ... this is Mark's dog !!! Milk it !!
Yeah it is his dog but I thought that after being with me all day and going to puppy classes with me she would act differently in a positive way towards me than Mark. Oh well, She is his dog so it is better that she gets excited to see him or else he'd feel bad. I got my Hannah and she's always happy to see me and she's my BESTEST bud!

Old 11-03-2006, 01:05 AM
Top Dog

Mark is like the delicacy of the day for her (and you). She's with you allllll day, so when Mark comes home its a big deal for her! Don't feel bad that she doesn't wag her tail when you greet her--it probably just means she's most comfortable with seeing you. (i.e., she expects your presence)
Old 11-03-2006, 07:13 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry View Post
Yup, we do that. We have always done that since we had Mack so it's just common practice in this house now. She sits when she wants attention and when I feed her she has to sit and she has to sit to get a treat as well. The only problem is that for a treat she will do ANYTHING but it's when we stop giving the treats she will refuse to do stuff. Like tonight I had started doing the come command and treating her for returning to me and now she thinks she can get a treat anytime she goes away and comes back. SO now she will go to the other side of the room and come back and expect a treat but if I tell her to sit and go to pet her she will move her head and immediately starting sniffing my hand thinking I had a treat. She is extremely food motivated but not motivated through positive praising.
Jackson is the EXACT same way. He knows we always practice DOWN a few times a day so when he wants a treat he will just slide his little butt down and stare at me for a treat. He will downand stand like 3 times in a row until I give him something lololol.

Last edited by killerz298; 11-03-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Are you dead yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
Mark is like the delicacy of the day for her (and you). She's with you allllll day, so when Mark comes home its a big deal for her! Don't feel bad that she doesn't wag her tail when you greet her--it probably just means she's most comfortable with seeing you. (i.e., she expects your presence)
Exactly!

If she spends a day with Mark, and you're gone, you'll get the same excited greeting. The person they spend all day with is old news. It's not that she doesn't like you, she just doesn't see a need to display affection and greetings every few minutes.

Bonding takes time. Dakota and I didn't have a really close bond until he got older - when he was very young, he was too busy exploring and being a puppy to be concerned with being friends with me. Everything else was just too fascinating for him.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Show Dog

I could have sworn you were talking about my puppy. Right now my working theory is NILIF and get him good and tired out so he'll be more likely to have a down moment or two to share with me. But yeah, I'd really be interested to find out if this is a phase or if he'll always take me for granted unless I have food.

Any wisdom from the old hands?
Old 11-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

Curious as to why you leash her to you?- is it a potty training /to keep an eye on her so she doesn't have accidents thing?
If not I would stop doing it and try the opposite- crate her away from you for short periods. If she's being forced to be with you wether she wants to or not, why would she seek you out in times she doesn't have to be with you? she doesn't need to choose to seek you out-- she's forced to follow you around. Switch things up and set her up so she'll CHOOSE to seek you out and want to be with you. Sort of like playing hard to get.
Ruff Love by Susan Garett is a book you might want to read - lots of good stuff in there for teaching your dog to want to work with you.