Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-03-2006, 02:41 AM
Uffda!

No problem! I'd really suggest putting a hinge on the roof. It's a lot easier to clean out that way rather than climbing in the dog entry. The first one dad made didn't have the hinge so us kids climbed in on our hands and knees to clean it out every spring. When we got a little older and a little bigger, lifting up the roof was a lot easier on the back and knees!

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion
Old 11-03-2006, 02:54 AM
Big Dog

Talking

Hehe, the things we realize when we are finished with the job. Oh well, you managed. Thanks to you I will know before hand. Where can I get those shavings? I have used hay, are the shavings better?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:16 AM
Uffda!

The shavings are nice b/c they're absorbant and have a nice smell. We usually had a layer of shavings and then a layer of straw. The shaving you can probably find at a feed store or a store that has farming supplies. Walmart may even have smaller bags of them.

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion
Old 11-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Snow Girl

Quote:
will my dog be ok in her air kennel? She's a korean jindo that was raised in big bear (ski resort city in the winter, jet ski resort in the summer).
I have no idea what an air kennel is....it sounds like a crate though and if that is indeed what it is then no, you will need something a lot more secure than merely a crate. Crates cant keep out rain and snow and sleet, doghouses do. Also crates have no insulation so are terrible for keeping in the heat and the cold out or the cold in and the heat out. If I were you I would deffinately invest in a good quality wooden insulated doghouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
cedar is wicked bad...
Cedar has worked very well with us thus far with no bad reactions to it at all, it also comes recommended from a wide variety of different kennels of different breeds.

Also some coat types shouldnt be bathed once a week. It completely strips the coat of its natural oils. I bathe my sibes roughly 1-2 times a year and everyone always comments on how good their coat looks. I do brush regularily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chul3l3ies1126
Where can I get those shavings? I have used hay, are the shavings better?
I get my shavings in bulk at the pet store in the small animals section. I went to a cedar furniture place and asked for shavings from any untreated wood they had but I found that shavings were a bit too fine for my liking. They do put them through a strainer to rid of the dust and really small flakes but I still find that they are a bit fine. I can still use them but will keep getting them from the pet store instead.

Also don;t use hay, straw is MUCH softer and insulates way better. Hay is sharp and pokes and I find it irritates the skin a lot. Straw is easier to make a nest with. I get my straw from local farmers. Again though watch for quality. Some straw is full of dust and small bits that are no good for your dogs respitory system. When you open thebale and start spreading the flakes you shouldnt see much dust falling. Also be sure to smell the flakes before spreading them in the doghouse. You are smelling for any moldy smell. Sometimes the straw gets baled when it is still wet or after it was baled it got rained on and stored in the barn while the middle was still wet which causes mold to grow. This is no good for your dog.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 11-03-2006, 10:47 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

straw is a better insulator and doesn't soak down and rot like hay does. IT does however need to be changed regularly so fleas dont' bed down too. FResh straw needs to be added regularly to keep the insulating effect. FOr small dogs i would put so much in they could burrow a nest into the middle. That way i knew they were warm enough.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white cat
Old 11-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Snow Girl

Smkie, that''s how much I put even for my big dogs I know of I put too much though because OC will shove it on to the other side of the divider in his doghouse and Ronan will drag it out completely LOL

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 11-03-2006, 11:12 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

they do love fresh straw day don't they? My boss always scolded me for using too much but i would rather there be enough for them to make it just right then to think of them not having enough and shivering. I would stick my hand in there when they came out and feel if it was cool or warm. As long as it still felt warm i knew they had the amount they needed. I imagine the heating coils underneath helped too. They didn't have the dense artic coats your dogs have, but short oily coats and Missouri can get quite cold.

I got to look up the link about why cedar can cause respitory problems, i don't want to qoute without the proper facts.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white cat
Old 11-03-2006, 12:18 PM
The dog is never wrong!

I've heard that cedar can cause skin problems, but I've never had a problem with the 5+ years I've been using it. I never heard of the respritorty problems though. I suppose if you get strong enough stuff, its possible.
Also, try to get oat straw, and not wheat straw. Wheat straw had those little barb thingys that poke into everything, and are almost impossible to get all the way out. Made the mistake of getting a bale of it last year, and wearing a fleece coat to put it in thier houses. I still have pieces of it in my coat.
And, I wouldnt use a hinged roof. Makes it so much easier for wind, rain and snow to get in. The little bit of discomfort I experiance is no problem compared to having a cold, wet house.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Uffda!

We never had a problem with the hinge, the roof was heavy enough to create a good seal. But then again we lived in a very wooded area, so wind probably didn't gust as much as in an open area.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Top Dog

I don't have any outdoor suggestions, but I bathe my pups once a week and use allerpet on their coats afterwards and it has greatly helped my allergies and asthma.