Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Bobsk8

I had a dog years ago that I kept in a dog house outside in upper New York State. When I think about that today, it makes me feel so guilty, and I wish that I had never done that... It will probably bother me for the rest of my life. There is no way that I would ever do that to a dog again.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstarsleddogs View Post
Remember people: some of use just cant have inside dogs, so we try to do the best we can with an outside house!!!
I also use wood houses. My new ones have 4" of styrofoam insulation on the bottom, and 1" on the sides/top. Its painted with outdoor paint, all seams are cauked, and it is placed on a palate, so its 4" off the ground. Make sure you place the opening facing a direction where you get the least ammount of wind. (For us, thats east)
Also make sure the house is neither too big or too small. For you're average 50# dog, I go with 2x2x3 feet, with the door being 12x10 inches.

Can you tell me why please?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:47 PM
The dog is never wrong!

Why? Well, first of all, I'm mildly allergic to dogs. It doesnt bother me too much, but every now and then I'll get little itchy bumps all over my face/hands/arms after being with the dogs.
Also, my dogs kill cats. We have 6 inside cats. I do not want another massacre to happen again!!!! It was bad enough the first time Aurora killed 6 cats. Even if they didnt eat the cats, they would still eat the poop.
My mom would go absoluty nuts if we had that much dog hair hanging around. She thinks its bad enough with the little bit of cat hair.
My dogs do NOT like it inside. I've brought them inside to the basement on extremly hot days, to help them. They just sit at the door, panting, being extremly uncomfortable. When we got Dakota nuetered, he spent that day/night inside. Once he was feeling better, he wanted back outside pronto. It was kinda unfortunate he was feeling better at 4 am. I had to lay there and listen to him scratch at the crate, move around, and whine for 3 more hours.
You may not agree with this at all, but I can assure you one thing, my dogs recieve just as good care, attention, as everyone elses. Just because one keeps thier dogs outside doesnt immediatly make them a bad owner. You got to look at more then that.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstarsleddogs View Post
Remember people: some of use just cant have inside dogs, so we try to do the best we can with an outside house!!!
I also use wood houses. My new ones have 4" of styrofoam insulation on the bottom, and 1" on the sides/top. Its painted with outdoor paint, all seams are cauked, and it is placed on a palate, so its 4" off the ground. Make sure you place the opening facing a direction where you get the least ammount of wind. (For us, thats east)
Also make sure the house is neither too big or too small. For you're average 50# dog, I go with 2x2x3 feet, with the door being 12x10 inches.
Thank you for saying this, so that I did not have to. And thanks for some of the ideas instead of stating MY HOUSE.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:11 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by misticaleclipse View Post
Can you tell me why please?
By the looks of it you have small dogs, first off. I do put my dogs in the house, but not all day, they were born outside and are outside dogs. I know that some people have big dogs in the house and that is great, but we do not have the room for that. The people who keep their dogs outside love them just as much as you all who can afford to keep them in. I did not ask this question for you all to criticize me for not keeping them in the house 24/7. Some people just can't due to medical reasons of family members and other things.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:35 AM
Show Dog

i use a plastic air kennel for large breeds. My dog is a very small medium breed. I use carpt on the bottom, but might try the cedar and hay deal...

The weather is hardly ever below 50 degrees here and rarely does it get above 100 here (if even close).

will my dog be ok in her air kennel? She's a korean jindo that was raised in big bear (ski resort city in the winter, jet ski resort in the summer).
Old 11-03-2006, 01:41 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I am very allergic to dogs after taking care of a kennel for 20 years. Seems that it not uncommon. By washing my dogs often (i use my shampoo and cream rinse) i have no allergy problems at all. They have a bath once a week and i get nothing but compliments on their coats. The added benefit of a dog that smells and feels clean is people pet them more It is a win win situation. The dogs can stay in and keep me happy and thus i keep them happy Bathing isn't that hard to do and they do get use to the routine. Mary loves a hot soak for her achey old bones and will go in to the tub when she wants a bath and hint hint hint!

cedar is wicked bad...

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Big Dog

Owwies, once a week? The vet told me once a week can hurt them.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:28 AM
Uffda!

My dad built a doghouse for our dog when I was young and this is what it looked like. Excuse the crudeness and hugeness, I did it in a hurry.

Side View

Front View

Inside

It was made of wood and up on stilts to be off the ground four inches or so. The inside had a wall in between the entry and the den to help keep the wind from blowing directly at the dog. The sides had insulation in them. The roof was slanted and also hinged in the back so the roof could be lifted up for easy access inside the house. It as shingled with black shingles. We put pine shavings and straw inside and she'd create her own little nest with it.

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion
Old 11-03-2006, 02:32 AM
Big Dog

Wow, that was exactly what I was thinking georgygirl. I wanted to do something like that, and then line it with insulation and cover it with hmm what do you call it... an aluminum sheet? If that is what it is. But I saw that somewhere and I know i could build it easy. Thanx alot.