Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Big Dog

Question Best dog houses? for cold and hot days?

It's getting cold here and well the pups are getting cold. We used to have a nice sized kennel back in the day but the last storm blew it out. I was considering Igloo's for both of the boys. Are they good heat insulators? Does anyone else have one of these? If so, do share... and if you have another opinion share as well. Thanx.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Snow Girl

Here''s a blurb from the article I wrote called "Designing A Kennel For The Outdoor Dog" which you can find in the "Buried Bones" section of this forum.

The doghouse should be insulated for sure. Insulation will keep it warm in winter and cool in summer. It is very important to keep a doghouse raised off the ground so the moisture from the ground doesn''t seep in, cool th house down during winter, and rot the wood. If you attach the doghouse from the outside of the kennel, you won''t take away any of your dog''s floor space. It''s a good idea to put cedar shavings in the house during summer because cedar keeps fleas away, gives a nice smell instead of having that doggy smell, provides something comfy for your dog to lie on, and will absorb any moisture very fast if your dog has an accident or he gets wet. In the winter i use a layer of cedar shavings with a layer of straw n top. Honestly straw is the best insulator and if you put enough in the house, your dog will tunnel into it and make himself a nice nest which keeps him remarkably warm and cozy. Some people like to put dog beds or mats in the doghouse, I don;t recommend this because if it gets wet or dirty it''s very hard to clean and dry properly, or you may not even notice it, and then it could get moldy and mold is poisonous to dogs and humans. Remember to change your shavings and straw every 2-3 months. It;s also a good idea to attach a door to the opening of the doghouse during winter and remove it during summer. The door will help conserve body heat and keep it in the house to keep your dog cozy in the winter, and during the summer, not having it will allow a little bit of windflow to keep the house cooler. The door will also stop snow from getting in the house, melting, and making the inside wet.

For the record, both of my houses are insulated wood doghouses which I find are the best quality. Plastic just doesn''t hold heat well at all.

I also wanted to add that a doghouse with a black roof (shingles) will attract sunlight and act almost like a natural heater if you make sure the house is in direct sunlight during the day. The sun heats the house up. Putting the house in the shade will help keep it cooler in the summer.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 11-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Top Dog

My dogs have always had the best dog house ever . Ours.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-02-2006, 05:45 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
My dogs have always had the best dog house ever . Ours.
agreed

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Top Dog

My dogs' best house for cold = MY HOUSE, complete with heat

My dogs' best house for hot = MY HOUSE, complete with air conditioning
Old 11-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

I really don't like those plastic type dog houses. whether igloo shaped or not.
My dogs sleep beside my bed and have the comfort of a climate controlled house. (my house).

They do have a doghouse that is wooden and it is filled with straw for warmth during anytime they may be out during the day. Or in case it starts raining when they are outside......... I noticed there are cobwebs again over the door. Last week I put in new straw and cleaned the cobwebs off, they are already back.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:46 PM
The dog is never wrong!

Remember people: some of use just cant have inside dogs, so we try to do the best we can with an outside house!!!
I also use wood houses. My new ones have 4" of styrofoam insulation on the bottom, and 1" on the sides/top. Its painted with outdoor paint, all seams are cauked, and it is placed on a palate, so its 4" off the ground. Make sure you place the opening facing a direction where you get the least ammount of wind. (For us, thats east)
Also make sure the house is neither too big or too small. For you're average 50# dog, I go with 2x2x3 feet, with the door being 12x10 inches.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:49 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

the all weather dog houses we had at the kennel which don't compare to Victor asleep on my blanket on the sofa right now were concrete brick stuffed with straw, and insultion between the bricks and wooden tops. There was also heat coils in the concrete beneath the houses. STill compared it is like night and day. THose dogs would have given anything to be where Vic is right now, it just took a bit more training. In 2020 hindsight, i feel bad for each and every one of them.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

I did have an outside kennel and run at the old house for females in heat or boarders .. Straw etc and very comfy . But when it was cold , I'd move any dogs to the garage area off our family room . ( no cars ) with heat . I was ( am ) a pussy !

Old 11-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Top Dog

PS ... of interest to me . Indianapolis is working on dog control problems after the severe maiming of a 2 year old girl last spring . They don't want to ban breeds, but one of the things they are considering is that no dog is to be tied out at night . Personally I think this is great !! Will show the true dog lovers don't chain 24/7 ... sorry , this has nothing to do with kennels in a fenced in area , free from chains.

Last edited by bubbatd; 11-02-2006 at 07:31 PM. Reason: cf