Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Huh? Chihuahuas ears aren't cropped. They stand up naturally.
I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up. That's exactly my point about times have changed as well as awareness and education.
I didn't say that my great grandfather was a responsible breeder. I would also like to add that he was born in Italy in 1886 and from what I have been told, he breed his chis because he loved them so much.
Unfortunately not everyone comes from backgrounds that are as aware or as sypathetic as most of us here. I think it's important to keep that in mind before we trash people that we know nothing about.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Are you dead yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
mmm. i know i shouldn't continue this. but really can't help myself.

i find cropping unnecasary and sometimes cruel. i understand other peoples ideas on it but i find natural ears more attractive on ALL dog breeds. i don't think you should have to crop your dogs ears to show them, that just seems a bit harsh and unfair (or have i been misinformed?)

i have heard that dew-claw removal is also sometimes practiced to stop dogs ripping them off during work. i understan dthat its a risk, but its also part of a dog. i know i don't need my apendix, but i don't remove it just because i MIGHT get sick from it
Dewclaws are also often removed in toy breeds because otherwise, they could do a lot of damage to those prominent, delicate eyes.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:11 PM
No Sugar Added

I prefer to see Dobermans and Great Danes in natural ears. I'm not a fan of cropping on any dog since it IS cosmetic, not a nessessary procedure. But hey, if someone wants to cut off part of their dog's ears have at it as long as it's done by a skilled vet.

It's the tapeing afterward to 'train' the ears that I think bothers the dogs more than the actual procedure. I've seen some poor dogs taped up for a LONG time and I just can't imagine how annoying and uncomforable that has to be...all just so they'd look a certain way.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I think it's important to keep that in mind before we trash people that we know nothing about.
Are you referring to my comment?
Quote:
Huh? Chihuahuas ears aren't cropped. They stand up naturally.
If so, where on earth do you read where I was trashing anyone? My comment was short and simple. I was merely curious why a breed whose ears stand up all by themselves would need to be cropped. I did not say one derogatory thing about your grandfather, not one.

And as far as the cropping at home, the topic of this thread, people have every right to trash someone they know nothing about. They know one thing about them, the one thing that matters when that is the topic or subject...that they're being irresponsible and disregarding an animal by not having a licensed vet do the procedure. That is the general opinoin of most people in this day and age. So to compare something that people might have done in the 1800's is irrelevant to this situation and irrelevant to the present day when education is here for the taking and veterinary care is at our disposal.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
It's the tapeing afterward to 'train' the ears that I think bothers the dogs more than the actual procedure. I've seen some poor dogs taped up for a LONG time and I just can't imagine how annoying and uncomforable that has to be...all just so they'd look a certain way.
Have you ever had a cropped dog or done the posting procedure? I used very soft material in the ears, very well cushioned. The bottom of the "post" goes into the floor or well of the ear and not where the canal opening is. I used paper tape which comes off painlessly and pre-streched vet wrap which is not sticky. This began at a very, very early age so the dog knows nothing else. It becomes the normal thing to him. It is not uncomfortable. The pup shows no signs of distress, discomfort or of being bothered unless the thing is coming loose, in which case it needs to be fixed up or the ears won't turn out right.

My pup took it all in stride and would in fact often sleep right through my posting. He'd be lying on the couch and I'd just fix him right up. The posts are very light weight. When it was winter, they kept his ears warm too. If he was awake, it was a sort of bonding thing. He got all kinds of attention, praise and treats for holding still. He learned how to hold still for other things. It was all associated with a perfecly pleasant time.

So, unless you have experienced it first hand, I don't see how you can come up with these judgements about misery to the dog. It all became par for the course and in fact, conditioned my Doberman to trust me with all kinds of procedures that might otherwise be objectionable to him. He is just so use to and comfortable with anything I do with him or the vet does with him...so trusting and tolerant.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

Get a dog that has serious ear infections that simple cleaning so many times a day doesn't fix and that a simple crop would have prevented and you'll get one little reason why they are done. If you say its no big deal then you have never had a dog with a serioues problem like that. My boy couldn't move his head without crying to being perfectly fine the day of his surgery. this obviously all depends on the vet too. thank god dobes are not prone to theses infections though,it sucked,but I'll always get mine cropped now.

What I still don't get it major abd surgery to fix a dog is perfectly ok and looked down on if you don't get it done. But something non life threatening that the dog heals from quickly and only notices a couple days is horrible? You say clean that ears so the ears are not infected(which cleaning does nothing for the problme my boy had)-well keep your dog away from other dogs so it doens't get knocked up.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 11-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Are you referring to my comment? If so, where on earth do you read where I was trashing anyone? My comment was short and simple. I was merely curious why a breed whose ears stand up all by themselves would need to be cropped. I did not say one derogatory thing about your grandfather, not one.

And as far as the cropping at home, the topic of this thread, people have every right to trash someone they know nothing about. They know one thing about them, the one thing that matters when that is the topic or subject...that they're being irresponsible and disregarding an animal by not having a licensed vet do the procedure. That is the general opinoin of most people in this day and age. So to compare something that people might have done in the 1800's is irrelevant to this situation and irrelevant to the present day when education is here for the taking and veterinary care is at our disposal.
I absolutely was not refering to you. And I'm very sorry that it seemed that way. I was referering to the 'stupid' comments that have been posted on this thread.
I also was not accusing anyone of calling my great grandfather stupid either.
My point was that education is the key.
You're comment about chi's ears was a good example towards my point.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:16 PM
No Sugar Added

Quote:
Have you ever had a cropped dog or done the posting procedure?
No I have never owned a breed that required cropping, however I have had many clients with pups that we're cropped and needed to be taped. I've seen these owners tape their ears, and I've helped them in some cases with rowdy pups. I'm quite familiar with the procedure even though I personally don't own a dog who's been cropped.

I've seen dogs who did show discomfort, I've seen dogs that ran from their owners when it was time to do this despite plenty of positive reinforcment, and I've seen dogs look absolutly miserable while it was being done and afterward. Now, if your dog is fine with it and wasn't uncomfortable then that's great, but not all dogs adjust so well even with proper training to accept it. I'm just commenting on what I've witnessed, not trying to bash you for chooseing to crop.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Top Dog

I appologize. Because your post came right after mine asking about why a Chi's ears would need cropping, I mistakenly associated with that context. I sure would never trash your grandfather or anyone way back in those days for doing what they needed to do when there probably weren't a bunch of veterinarians around. It was probably one of those newer professions just coming about. You're right about education though. That's for sure. Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't want you to think that I thought ill of or disrespect for your grandfather.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Puppy Dog

both my breeds are cropped but the ear flap is removed...done around 3 days and pretty much healed soon after