Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Puppy Dog

Neither the health nor the safety argument really works for me i'm afraid... Simple routine maintenance prevents ear infections for dog breeds with longer ears (even in warmer climates) and many protection/vermin breeds are not traditionally cropped with few problems...

"the magnetic force of an off-course tunnel is directly proportional to the lack of experience of the dog/handler team running"
Old 11-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Are you dead yet?

I don't think the recovery from an ear crop is any more painful than the recovery from a spay/neuter procedure. I've seen cropped puppies, they bang their little cone-heads against everything without even a whimper. When my dog had a hernia corrected, he cried every time he got up. And the incision for that wasn't even as big as a spay.

I don't think the procedure itself is as painful as people make it sound. It's the fact that it's cosmetic (in most cases, let's face it, it is. What's the point of cropping, say, a Great Dane's ears in that long show crop? Certainly not function, but appearance.) that they don't like.

If it is done properly and humanely by a skilled vet, I do not see the need to fight it. There are so many other, far more serious dog-related issues for me to spend my time on. Why harrass the responsible owners and breeders who choose to crop, when there are people chopping their dogs' ears off with scissors, and as we saw at the shelter this week, burning kittens with cigarettes. What makes this worth such vehement disapproval, while things like that go virtually unnoticed?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Dafuq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubylove View Post
Um...so you've actually seen `home' crops??? God how nauseating - how did you manage to not rant at the owners??
I've seen crops that I suspected were home jobs, because they were just ugly. I couldn't imagine a veterinarian admitting to doing them. But I generally keep my opinions to myself unless they are asked, or its something immediately hazardous, like a loose dog heading towards traffic. I'm just not a confrontational person, at least off the 'Net.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 11-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsk8 View Post
We are talking about 2006, and it's stupid.......
Interesting how you can come up with this conclusion without knowing how old the person is, what type of background they have or anything else about them.
It absolutley amazes me sometimes how quick people are to insult instead of educate. Hmmmm, could that be just a little counter productive?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Snow Girl

I guesss ro each their own in this case, you guys can have your uncropped pets and I''ll have my cropped functional working pets

As for which droopy eared breed to crop and which not to to avoid ear infections, basically the breeds that originally got cropped consistantly back in the day got cropped for other reasons and then the discovery of less ear infections were a wonderful added bonus! Have you ever had a bad ear infection? It hurts like a son of a gun! I''d rather my dog have one short pain that it wont even remember (a crop as a young puppy) than it endure a lifetime of pain coming back time and time again. Even if the vet can fix it.

And yes when in a fight there are other limbs in which the agressor could grab on your dog, but those are a lot harder to grab than floppy ears, and it is harder to tear. If this weren''t the case why would cropping start up in the first place?

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 11-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Top Dog

Didn't we do like 30 or so pages on a Topic just like this not so long ago?

I have my opinions on cropping (don't like the idea) and others have theirs.
No ammount of debating will change that.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:43 AM
BusterLove

mmm. i know i shouldn't continue this. but really can't help myself.

i find cropping unnecasary and sometimes cruel. i understand other peoples ideas on it but i find natural ears more attractive on ALL dog breeds. i don't think you should have to crop your dogs ears to show them, that just seems a bit harsh and unfair (or have i been misinformed?)

i have heard that dew-claw removal is also sometimes practiced to stop dogs ripping them off during work. i understan dthat its a risk, but its also part of a dog. i know i don't need my apendix, but i don't remove it just because i MIGHT get sick from it

Old 11-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Hm. I think I want to have my heel partially removed, I got some really bad blisters lately

Okay... go figure, I am also anti-cropping. I think I'd rather spend more time cleaning my dog's ears out to prevent infections daily, then having their ears cropped. But that's just me.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
I don't think the recovery from an ear crop is any more painful than the recovery from a spay/neuter procedure. I've seen cropped puppies, they bang their little cone-heads against everything without even a whimper. When my dog had a hernia corrected, he cried every time he got up. And the incision for that wasn't even as big as a spay.

I don't think the procedure itself is as painful as people make it sound. It's the fact that it's cosmetic (in most cases, let's face it, it is. What's the point of cropping, say, a Great Dane's ears in that long show crop? Certainly not function, but appearance.) that they don't like.

If it is done properly and humanely by a skilled vet, I do not see the need to fight it. There are so many other, far more serious dog-related issues for me to spend my time on. Why harrass the responsible owners and breeders who choose to crop, when there are people chopping their dogs' ears off with scissors, and as we saw at the shelter this week, burning kittens with cigarettes. What makes this worth such vehement disapproval, while things like that go virtually unnoticed?
Exactly
Old 11-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
My great grandfather was a chi breeder and he cropped his dogs ears himself
Huh? Chihuahuas ears aren't cropped. They stand up naturally.

This link will describe why a Doberman (for one) is cropped.

http://bakaridobes.westhost.com/publ...n/PECEars.html

If my Doberman had natural ears, he'd look like an outgoing, friendly Coonhound to some unsuspecting idiot who might come barging up to him to hug and pat him, as so many people tend to do with some dogs. If they thought he was so in love with having strangers approach him that way, there could be serious consequences. With the cropped ears, there's usually recognition that he is indeed the reputed protection dog who you don't rush up to carelessly. That's just a little side effect of having a Doberman look like the traditional Doberman.

As far as cropping, the heeling is fast. Within 2 days, according to my breeder, the pups' edges of the ears are itchy, not in any pain. The puppies were wrestling and biting eachother, knocking into eachother and into the cabinets in the kitchen and she said they never even let out a yelp. They heel very fast, as it is cartilege. It's really not as horrible as it's sometimes made out to be. By the time I got Lyric at 9 weeks, he was all but completely heeled, a couple of scabs. That's two weeks after he was done.

I think people ought to put more energy in stopping abuse to animals, including using some of the harsh, unfair and psychologically damaging training methods which last a lifetime.

However, the point of this thread was a do-it-yourself cropping job and that is really disgusting with no anesthesia and perhaps improper after care.