Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Snow Girl

I sure hope someone educates him! As much as I love a good crop on some breeds I only agree with it if it is done properly!

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 11-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Puppy Dog

Firstly I just don't understand why anyone would prefer the look of a mutilated dog over a natural one, and secondly why would you put any dog through the pain of a medical procedure for the sake of fashion.

"the magnetic force of an off-course tunnel is directly proportional to the lack of experience of the dog/handler team running"
Old 11-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Snow Girl

Actually for some of the breeds I hope to own and the stuff I''d like to do with them, cropping isn''t for cosmetics, it''s for health and safety!

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 11-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Dafuq?

Cropping doesn't bother me. But cutting off a pup's ears without the benefit of anethesia has got to be an ugly thing to witness. Personally, I've never seen a home crop that looked good.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 11-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
Cropping doesn't bother me. But cutting off a pup's ears without the benefit of anethesia has got to be an ugly thing to witness. Personally, I've never seen a home crop that looked good.
Um...so you've actually seen `home' crops??? God how nauseating - how did you manage to not rant at the owners??

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 11-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_spirit View Post
Actually for some of the breeds I hope to own and the stuff I''d like to do with them, cropping isn''t for cosmetics, it''s for health and safety!
Go on then humour me... health and safety?

"the magnetic force of an off-course tunnel is directly proportional to the lack of experience of the dog/handler team running"
Old 11-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Snow Girl

Health:

A breed such as a Cane Corso has very thick, heavy ears that hang down. Even with thorough cleaning often, moisture gets trapped inside the ear and it is also very dark and warm which is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria which causes ear infections. A nice working crop allows lots of air flow keeping the ear dry and cleaner resulting in fewer if not no ear infections.

Safety:

I plan on in the future once I get my farm/ranch, having Caucasian Ovcharka and Central Asian Ovcharka as livestock guarders against wolves, coyotes, wold dogs and anything else that would like to try to harm my animals. Floppy ears are a perfect "handle" that when ripped makes a bloody mess when fighting off other canids. Cropping the ear means nothing for the wolf or coyote or whatever to grab on to.

I also plan on having a PatStaff or a PatStaffJag as a verminator for the barn buildings of my farm/ranch. These lil guys will be up against anything from mice to rats to coons. If you have ever excountered a coon, you will know that they can fight back very nasty when cornered. Again the ears are just something for the coon to bite and tear making a painful bloody mess for the dog. A good working crop stops this from happening and the dog is able to rid the barn of the pesky rodents a lot easier!

Need me to go on?

Old 11-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
haha -that old cherry pip

All our dogs here must be walking health hazards with cropping being illegal
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Health:

A breed such as a Cane Corso has very thick, heavy ears that hang down. Even with thorough cleaning often, moisture gets trapped inside the ear and it is also very dark and warm which is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria which causes ear infections. A nice working crop allows lots of air flow keeping the ear dry and cleaner resulting in fewer if not no ear infections.

Safety:

I plan on in the future once I get my farm/ranch, having Caucasian Ovcharka and Central Asian Ovcharka as livestock guarders against wolves, coyotes, wold dogs and anything else that would like to try to harm my animals. Floppy ears are a perfect "handle" that when ripped makes a bloody mess when fighting off other canids. Cropping the ear means nothing for the wolf or coyote or whatever to grab on to.

I also plan on having a PatStaff or a PatStaffJag as a verminator for the barn buildings of my farm/ranch. These lil guys will be up against anything from mice to rats to coons. If you have ever excountered a coon, you will know that they can fight back very nasty when cornered. Again the ears are just something for the coon to bite and tear making a painful bloody mess for the dog. A good working crop stops this from happening and the dog is able to rid the barn of the pesky rodents a lot easier!

Need me to go on?

I see what you mean for working breeds, but I don't agree with it even in your case.

The ears not being cropped do not prevent them from doing the job. If another animal is attacking them there are many places they can grab onto, including the ears, legs tail, snout etc. Unless you do a terrible crop and completely take away the ears the other animal is still able to grab onto the ears, even if they are cropped.

In regards to the moisture in the ears. Yes, that is a common thing for all dogs breeds with floopy ears. Which dogs should we crop now?? should I take my shih tzu to my vet and ask them to crop his ears??? Of course not. I clean them with a solution every week for maintenence and if there is an infection I pay th vet to fix it.

I look at it this way. I would not take a limb off my child unless that was a serious medical danger to there health that required me to do so. I would need much better reasons than the ones provided to agree with ear cropping.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Bobsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasobuco View Post
I don't think it's about dumb really. It may be more of an uneducated situation. My great grandfather was a chi breeder and he cropped his dogs ears himself. Times have changed as far as awareness. You can't expect everyone to be aware. The best you can do is hope that they will take what you have to say to heart.
I honestly don't think attacking someone is the the right way to handle the situation. You could frustrate them to the point of them taking it out on the puppies.
We are talking about 2006, and it's stupid.......