Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 11-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Harumph™©®

Net, one of my MSs was named Rocky too.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Puppy Dog

He's adorable, he looks like a Jasper to me, good luck with him.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Top Dog

How about "Archie" for a name? LOL!

He's a doll by the way. Looks so sincere and glad that he's loved.

As far as getting him to class, yes, do it ASAP! Next, you can't live without the book How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With by Rutherford and Neil. This book will tell you about the different periods in a puppy's life and what they mean to his eventual outcome as an adult dog. It will help you with all your questions, it's a must have book!!! It goes into detail about what a puppy should be experiencing during different times in his life.

For now, I would work on letting him adjust to a calm, loving environment for a couple of days. Get him on a quality food and let him rest. Soon, I would try to get him used to a lead and collar and start "tethering" him to you while you are in the house. This is where you put a leash and collar on him and tie it to your belt or keep it in your hand. Have the puppy go everywhere around the house with you. Don't make him do commands or anything like that, just have him follow you everywhere and be with you. This will get him used to daily house life and will help him bond to you which is VERY important. It's fun for him too because it helps him get the one on one attention that he desperatley needs at this point.

Good luck

Oh, by the way, it's not a big deal that the breeder did the vaccines. Many do. I vaccinate all my own dogs and feel more comfortable doing them myself.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:16 AM
MiniSchnauzer Goobiedogs!

Default Mini Schnauzer owner here!

Hi. I hope i can help you.

I have two minis. A 1.8 mth old boy and a 8mth old girl. I got them both from the same person.

I cant say for sure about where exactly you got him from. Did you do research beforehand? Either way, he is yours now and you will take hte best care of him possible, I am sure.

Immediately take him to the vet. Do not be worried he hasnt done the puppy thing. My two dogs are totally different and opposite in every way, yet they came from the same household.

I do not agree with the statement of getting him fixed asap. For me, I waited until my male was 9 mths old to do it. I was told that a male might have a difficult time growing a beard if you fix them too soon, due to the lack of hormones. So I would not rush to do that. For me, I fixed my male the first time I saw him show any sign of arousal. In his sleep once, he started humping and had a puppy erection, so I decided then that it was time to get him done before he developed humping habits. He always peed on every tree and pole, since we brought him home and still does to this day, but never in my house ever.

Work on training, feeding schedule, potty schedule, etc. Treat him as if he was only 9 weeks old, forget his age and start from scratch. You will quickly learn what he is capable of.

My dogs too had not gotten vaccines by the vet, the breeder did them. I was suspicous too but my vet says they do that sometimes. So dont worry about that. Feed him quality food such as Eukenuba for puppies or Science diet for puppies. High quality puppy food according to recommendations.

He is adorable! When you say kenneled, what do you mean? Do you beleive he was crated a long time during the day? If so, make sure you give him good exercise outside, long walks, etc once he has the 4 mth shots. It is important to socialize him, and make him strong. Crating a dog too long is not good for their hind legs, they need to develop strength in them.

Please write back to me. I want to help you. I am no expert but these dogs have taught me so much, I also read every book out there before getting my dogs. They are my first and only dogs, and I have become quite acquainted with the breed.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Active Pup

Update....

We have a name... Quatro, because well he's the fourth and final child of the household. I have a 5 yr old lil girl, and 18 mos lil boy, 4 yr old kitty, and now Quatro... the fourth, and final to complete the little family. He's all up to date on his shots, the vet says he's looking really good. We've got a feeding schedule, and well he follows me everywhere. He's still fighting the leash, but I expect that to go on for a bit. I've picked up all the recoomend books, and have been doing my reading. I took him to the groomer today, and was a bit shocked when I saw his new "big boy" haircut as the groomer put it. However, he loved the bath, and took well to the groomer. He's taken over the household, and so far hasn't shown much puppy behavior.... chewing, and what not. I've got him in a safe room, instead of a kennel, since the better part of his 4 mos were spent in a keenel for long long periods of time. I'va caught Zoey (my cat) and him snuggled up sleeping, so I'm thinking he's fitting right on it....
Old 11-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Chihuahua Power!

He's a cutie I'm glad to hear that he is doing well and fitting in nicely with your family!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep