Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 10-31-2006, 10:21 PM
Active Pup

Question 4 mo Mini Schnauzer.. need some advice please?

So normally I'm not prone to emotional outbursts, however, today I brought home an mini schnauzer. I did a little research on the breed a few years back, and was waiting for the right time/right place in my life to purchase one. While looking through the paper last night I found an ad for one. I took my MIL out with me to look at him (rein me in, if need be). When I drove up there most have been at least 50 dogs running around. I'm not saying that they weren't well taken care of, but it just seemed a little shady, and I was at the point of loading up as many dogs as I could to take home.

So the story with the yet to be named puppy is that he is 4 months old, and has been in a kennel for awhile. When they let him out he ran and socialized well with the other dogs, basically overly excited to have freedom. He rode home wonderfully, and tolerated my daughter wanting to consistently love on him. After bringing him in I bathed him which went well, and feed and watered him. I've given him space to roam and explore, but he isn't doing the typical snoop, and puppy thing. Could this be a result of being in the kennel too long? Other than socializing him with other dogs, should I start him in an obdience class? I'm just a little worried, because I'd like to correct any issues as soon as possible.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:31 PM
Yorkie Love

was this a rescue situation?

Elissa
Old 10-31-2006, 10:33 PM
Dog Show Addict

What do you mean.. what exactly does your puppy do when he is out?

First thing is first.. make sure hes nuetered as soon as you can get him done!!

This will solve any male problems that he might start to develop.

Ex. Marking behaviours, realizing that females can be "fun" when in heat, some times aggresion.

I assume your pup was never taught "house life" manners.
Meaning house breaking routines, feeding routines, what is his, what is yours etc etc.
I think starting manners firstly would be best.

Definately look into puppy classes as soon as possible too! There are socializing classes that you can join up in as soon as your pup has had his 3rd booster shot.
Another thing - make sure that pup was given his puppy shots!! eep.. at 4 months old he should have had at least his first and second puppy booster.
Find out if they had him on a wormer as well!

Also, being a Shnauzer - hes a clip breed. If you'd like to keep him tidy looking research how to clip him or get him to a groomer so he can learn table manners as well
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 10-31-2006, 11:05 PM
Top Dog

Glad you're here !!! By finding him in an ad and with them having so many dogs , I would say they were a puppy mill or a major BYB. That's behind you , he's yours now and you and we want the best for you & for him . At 16 weeks , you still have to treat him like an 8 week old . He's probably never really been socialized or had much one on one treatment . Yes, records from them and vet ASAP . Do you have a good book to go by ? ( OK folks ! you tell him/her ! ) And yes , I'd say his missed his " investigation " week . When checked out etc ... a puppy class would be great for both of you . Please keep reporting !! Good luck !!!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-31-2006, 11:16 PM
Active Pup

So, they claimed to be a rescue home. Right now he's mellow, and sleeping. Tomorrow we're heading to the vet. They gave me a CKC registration form, and a shot record. However, I asked if his shots were given by a vet, and she said no. She stated that she gave them herself. So tomorrow we are heading to the vet on base, and getting a full check out, and getting microchipped. I have a friend thats a groomer, and he's set up to see her as well. While he's not the first dog I've owned, I had a wonderful german shepherd. He's just the first dog that I have owned who I've "rescued". I have a potty training manual from Petsmart, and just ordered some breed books. I apperciate all the advice.

My only other thought is should the people be reported? She claims they are a state approved rescue group. I suppose a little more research on my end will get to the bottom of it.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Active Pup

Thought I'd show off his picture....

Still working on a name. lol... just waiting on some personality to pop through.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 AM
wolf girl

AWWWW!!! He is adorable!!! I used to have a dog that looked just like him, he was a stray. I never knew what kind of dog he was, but he might have been a mini schnauzer too. He had the same colors and the same scruffy beard and eyebrows His name was Carlin, after the comedian George Carlin.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Active Pup

No, I would not worry that he did not do the snoop thing. Puppies introduced to a new home or often shy for a day or so and do not feel real adventuresome at that point. He will pop out of that in a day or so and be everwhere.

I just got a Mini Dobie and she stayed pretty close to me for about 5 days, then look out, I cannot keep up with her.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Harumph™©®

Awwwwwww he's cute! I had a mini schnauzer when I was a young girl and he was incredibly loyal. I never forgot him, in fact I still have his collar and tags. I know that sounds odd, but he meant that much to me. He was actually one of two schnauzers we had, but he was all mine. They both seemed to be "one man dogs" though.

I can tell you this, he will be a great watch dog. Nothing got by mine. Judging from your description of the place where you got him, consider him a rescue, get him to the vet like planned, and start all over again.

Kiss him on the nose for me.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Active Pup

Congrats on your MS. I have a 4 months MS too. He is a darker S/P. Mine has 3 generations of champ. His name is Rocky.