Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-31-2006, 10:46 AM
Active Pup

I like the wider collar for larger dogs for all the reasons listed. if your dog is trained well- the wide collar is not nessesary. My pit mix is strong and we are working on training -she likes to pull. See her picture at officialdoghouse.com for 1.75 inch wide width leather dog collars.
ChazHound Forum Participants receive a free gift with any order placed at www.OfficialDogHouse.com- Please enter the words "chaz forum gift" in the coupon code field. This is a limited time offer- so order today.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:06 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Ooooorrr people could work more on leash behavior so their dogs wouldn't pull that much
amen.

my dogs generally wear 1" collars (though luce has a rolled leather collar on right now that is narrow and a i do have a 2" leather collar somewhere). i don't attach the leash to their tag collars anyway.

i think a large collar is very visually overbearing on my dogs. all i see is collar.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:11 AM
Big Dog

other than easy to handle and security,,, a big collar is more of a fashion accessory,,,but you alway want to make sure all wearable items are in good working condition and replace what is wore out
Old 10-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Are you dead yet?

Quote:
Ooooorrr people could work more on leash behavior so their dogs wouldn't pull that much
Exactly!

I don't have APBTs, but for an everyday type collar, Dakota wears a 1" flat leather collar. 2" looks BAD on him. It pushes his hair to the side and makes it stand straight up. Ugly. Yuck. Even though it looks hideous I tried one on him, and he didn't act comfortable with it on.

I've seen 3" collars look good on the large dogs like the Neos Gempress posted that link to, even medium-large ones like American Bulldogs. I think they look horribly uncomfortable on a 45lb Pit Bull. Even a 2" collar is pushing it with the really little guys, especially if they wear it 24/7. Just my 2 cents, though.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
I've seen 3" collars look good on the large dogs like the Neos Gempress posted that link to, even medium-large ones like American Bulldogs. I think they look horribly uncomfortable on a 45lb Pit Bull. Even a 2" collar is pushing it with the really little guys, especially if they wear it 24/7. Just my 2 cents, though.
I could not agree more! Seeing seomthing like that on a Pit reminds me of the giraffe women in Africa (?), lol.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Are you dead yet?

Lol!

I do have to add that I have no problem with functional wide collars on working Pit Bulls, for things like hog-hunting. Those are for protection, not a tough look.

I also can understand the need for a big collar if the dog is tied to a big chain (keeping my opinions of 24/7 chaining to myself, lol!) but if the chain is that heavy why not use a harness? I'd think it would be more comfortable for the dog.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Happy

Re: the pulling, from what I've observed, a dog is more comfortable pulling against a broad surface that can't cut into his neck the way a thinner collar can. I hate seeing a big dog in a broad collar for that reason - I've seen a lot of people getting yanked and dragged around, usually right up to another dog or person. They're similar to harnesses in that they limit the effectiveness of a leash. If the dog is trained well, fine, but if you have a dog with any stopping issues or anything (chases bikes, etc.) it's asking for trouble.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Staffy Smile Addict

I use wider collars, and prong collars along with it.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:07 PM
Dafuq?

Quote:
Pulling gives the dog a better workout. It all depends on what you want. I have collars for behaving, and collars for having fun. My girl wears a 1.5" job when we're going out for a fun run, and she knows she's allowed to pull and be crazy. Dutch, the mutt we're watching, wears a 2" collar for her tie-out.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 10-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Dafuq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
I also can understand the need for a big collar if the dog is tied to a big chain (keeping my opinions of 24/7 chaining to myself, lol!) but if the chain is that heavy why not use a harness? I'd think it would be more comfortable for the dog.
Because its easier for a dog to back out of a body harness than a properly-fitted collar. And it really has nothing to do with the weight of the chain. A dog can pull against a cable tie-out and hurt their necks if the collar is too narrow. The purpose of a wide collar is solely for the comfort of the dog.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...