Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-30-2006, 11:47 PM
No Sugar Added

Default Pit owners, collar question

I'm hoping some of our pit owning members can answer this question for me. I've seen quite a few of these dogs wearing huge, about 2-3 inch wide collars.

I'm wondering why. Is this just a trend or do these very wide collars serve some other purpose? Usually I only see this size on sighthounds and even then they don't appear to be as big. I know the Pits I've worked with have done just fine on a regular leather collar, so just wondering if I'm missing something?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Walks into Mordor

I'm not a pit owner, but I do put 2" wide collars on my dogs. I actually prefer them on large dogs.

I use them because I find they're much easier for me to grab and keep a hold of if I need to hold a dog by the collar. I also find they're much less likely to slip over a dog's heard. And honestly, depending on the breed of dog, I think wider collars look quite nice. The width makes quite a statement and gives plenty of room for all kinds of decorations. I'm a sucker for decorated collars, LOL!

A 3" collar on a pit bull is a too wide for my taste, though. At that point it just looks uncomfortable for the dog.

But I've seen some mastiff breeds, like Neos and filas, that look absolutely amazing in those wide collars. Check out these jaw-dropping collars:

http://www.everythingneo.com/collars.html
Old 10-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Who woulda thought <3

I love the way the 2 in collars look on some dogs...
Old 10-30-2006, 11:58 PM
No Sugar Added

Those collars you linked too are great and they certainly suit the dogs very well!

The ones I'm talking about are closer to 3 inches and they just look very out of place to me on a medium sized dog. But like I said, perhaps I'm missing something and they serve a purpose. Or maybe I just have bad taste.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:02 AM
Jerk.

I really would like a 3" collar for Verde, I think it would really look good on her. Also it would make it harder for BD to play his colar grabbing game. Im kinda tired of that game, it makes it to easy to switch to a cheek or skin grabbing game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 10-31-2006, 03:39 AM
Top Dog

I have a pit and use the 2 inch collar, think the 3 inch is too big, however they may t hink that the 3 inch collar is sturdier, and safer as far as controlling their dog, and in confinement when used with a chain, as many do. My dog is a house dog and there is no chain, or being kept outside.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:26 AM
just call me Nilly

I've had a customer recently order a 2" decorated leather collar, which she said was for protection of other dogs grabbing her dogs neck and collar while playing. Also, it looks FABULOUS on her dog.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:04 AM
Top Dog

I really want a big collar for Bailey (A staffy one with the brass knots and all) but i want to wait until he is done growing b/c they are expensive and i want one to last as long as possible.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:15 AM
Snow Girl

Yes the wider collars do serve a purpose. A few purposes actually. Having more material, they are of course stronger as we all know that the Pit Bull is a shockingly strong dog (I think it is the strongest pound for pound breed) and can easily snap a lot of the cheaper, thinner collars.

Also if the dog is pulling (either on leash or while tied up) it is easier on his neck if the collar is wide than if all his pulling power is tapered down to a thin strip of leather or nylon around his neck. There is less chance of damage.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 10-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Ooooorrr people could work more on leash behavior so their dogs wouldn't pull that much