Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Active Pup

Default Over Weight

My lhasa apso, is really,, really, fat, does anyone have any good suggestions? eating less didnt work out, and it seems too much for her to give extra exercise.. any ideas?
Old 04-09-2005, 11:49 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Eating less will work..even tho your pooch may not appriciate your efforts to start. Marydog lost 10 lbs and ws able to get her big black rear end off the floor a lot easier than before. I cut her down a little more each day..and i did increase her exercise with the addition of Victor..he took weight off of all of us!!! Now she feels tons better..tho she really misses the food. I have to be careful people do not feed her treats as well. Extra weight on a dog is so hard on their joints especially as they age (as it is with people) the vet also told me that it increases their chances of cancer as well. Give it another go..try a diet food..and stick to it..there are flavored waters that make great treats..taste wonderful and have no calories. Your dog will get a whole new life!
Old 04-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Active Pup

thanks, ill try that flavor water with her, but, everytime i run her, he freaks out and acts like its killing here
after about 10 feet...
Old 04-09-2005, 03:11 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

You got to start out slow..just as u would with yourself..you will find that gradually as your dog slims down it will get friskier and be able to play with so much more zest. Being overweight is so bad for a dog..big or little, the joint damage is unreal. They were never meant anymore than we are to carry the extra. Walking is the best way in the world..you don't have to run..take your time and enjoy yourself. If ten feet it is do 10 feet many times a day. and praise! Kisses in the ears go straight to the heart. Better than a birthday and a treat.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Active Pup

thats a good suggestion, i was thinking even just chasing her in the front yard, she "somehow" has energy for that
Old 04-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Felurian

Shiva was carrying some baby fat, but as soon as I put her on the Innova EVO formula she trimmed right down. I wasn't expecting that side effect, and frankly didn't realize she'd gotten so chunky until I saw her minus that ten pounds or so of baby fat.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

i not sure if you said but how much does your dog weight cause i think kayko is to skinny but my vet says he fine lol
Old 04-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Active Pup

45 pounds! shes a whale of a tale
Old 04-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

wow that really over weight shes only surposed to be 13-15 pds thats really unheathy

have you tryed getting some toys that will keep her moving like ones where you put tiny treats where she has to runn to get her food and deff feed her less dont worry you wont starve her good luck
Old 04-10-2005, 01:24 AM
Dog Spoiler

Hmm.. I think she needs a good diet and lots of exercise with lots of positive reinforcements. Make losing weight fun for her.

-Jon