Brittany or Lab for Pheasant Hunting?

Fandogg

Which is better? (if your going to say they are both equally as good dont respond)

Saje

Island dweller
Fandogg, please don't ask for advice and then tell people not to respond. This is an open forum where people can express their opinions as long as they aren't insulting others.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Its true we're all nice to each other here and you keep on being rude and insulting and people get to the point where they don't want to help you.

What if these two dogs are in truth equally as good as the other? Big deal

This would be a question for a more specific dog forum, or a hunting forum that includes hunting dog breeds.

Smkie might be able to give some insight here since she's worked with hunting dogs a great deal. If she doesn't see this thread, you might PM her and ask.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
We've only ever used Labradors for "retrieving", we always use English Springer Spaniels for "Flushing" as they are ideally suited to going through dense woodland and brambles!
I've never used a Brittany Spaniel for Phesant shoots and to be honest don't know anyone who has!!
Each dog is ideally suited to one job, Labradors are too large for "Flushing" in my opinion as they get stuck in the undergrowth and then get distressed. Springers can be a bit Hyper for "Retrieving" and sometimes run away with the birds.
It really depends which aspect of shooting interests you, will you be shooting and therfore need a dog to retrieve or will you be Beating the birds up and need a dog to flush them out.

bubbatd

I agree with Gus.....each hunting breed does it's own thing. A retriever stays at your side while you shoot.....a pointer shows you where the prey is. I don't think the spaniel does more than run around and enjoys the outting.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
bubbatd said:
I don't think the spaniel does more than run around and enjoys the outting.
Oh don't let my Dad hear you say that!! His Springer Spaniel is the best thing since sliced bread!! Lol! :D

Actually he's a great working dog! I trained him so he's perfect!! Lol! :D

bubbatd

Sorry Gus,,,,I've never watched a working spaniel ....the only one I knew was a springer who ran the beaches etc barking at the sea gulls. Lovely,sweet dog. I'm sure your Dad was a kind gentle man who taught his dog what to do. What ever the breed, they need training. When my Dad's Irish Setter died I at 13 tried to find what was best for our family and looked into the Golden Retrievers. We got one of the first of the breeds in Canada. When old enough, my Dad took him hunting. Point was nowhere to be found after the first shot......he had run back to the car and jumped through the window into the back seat. Thus my first companion golden !!
Retrievers,

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
bubbatd said:
I'm sure your Dad was a kind gentle man who taught his dog what to do.
My Dad is hopeless!! He's soooo soft with that dog!! :) But he gets real results with Barley! Barley's quite nervous so my Dad being quiet with him seems to work!

I think the hardest thing about Spaniel training, is keeping them focused!! They can be as Bubbatd rightly said a bit manic (although not all of them are!)!! Getting them to work in a figure of 8 pattern can be a challenge!! I've lost count of the times i've been seen chasing over the countryside after a Spaniel!
So unless you have a good amount of time each day to train, then maybe a Spaniel is not for you!!

Members online

No members online now.