Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-31-2004, 10:08 PM
Active Pup

Default Why is my dog chewing only my mom's things?

Hello, I am the owner of a 10 month old female Wheaten Terrier. This has not happened until the past week or two, but recently she began to chew my mother's footwear. While we were not home (over the course of a week), she has managed to chew up 4 pairs of women's shoes, but has not touched anything that belongs to me or my father. I was wondering if anyone had a clue as to what could be happening that could be a cause for this strange behavior.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:28 AM
Alpha Dog

Hi Sith333, welcome to Chazhound Forums!

She probably is just bored and likes the smell of mom's shoes. Not strange, but expected behavior for a pup. Keep one of mom's old leather tennis shoe for her to snuggle with. Keep the good ones in the closet out of reach.

Chazhound
Old 06-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Felurian

Strangely enough, dogs tend to "honor" the person they are closest to by doing this sort of thing. My Kharma carries my shoes around and hides them - thankfully no chewing! Buffy did the same thing, and Shiva splits her attentions equally between me and Charlie. All you can really do is scold her when you catch her and keep things out of her reach. She may outgrow the habit, but until then, hide the shoes!