Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick`o`shea View Post
Ok thanks for the link. I haven't decided yet, I'm going to speak to my friend who has the petshop and see what she suggests.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:07 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

As I said yesterday, the boys get their doses of C&C in Zuke's. It may not be the healthiest, but Buddy takes enough pills/supplements already.

I have heard great things about the Missing Link supplement that Mom is using, when I worked at a pet store that was one of our most popular supplements.

Good luck, Kirsty. I hope your friend has something that can help Casey.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Top Dog

Thankyou BP .
Old 10-28-2006, 12:52 PM
fastpitchchic

I use glycoflex for my pups. It seems to work great. you can get it on line or at some pet supply stores
Old 10-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Please PM me if you want the full text of the article
Thanks! I actually have it sitting around somewhere - it caused quite a stir at the local barns when it came out. I discussed it briefly with my vet, but haven't sat down to read it yet.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Top Dog

ROxy's been on glucosomine and chondroitin supplements for a few months now.

I just get mine from the drug store. Their tablets made for humans in the herbal remedy section. Jamieson is the brand I use.

She get's two pills, 1000mg per day. Now, I can't see I've noticed any changes because she never had any problems but my vet did reccomend it just as a safety precaution.

If you do decide to go with gluco. and chon. make sure she gets them with a little something in her belly. My vet said that with humans and dogs they can cause upset tummies, so their best to be digest with food.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Top Dog

I've tried quite a few different things for differing problems with my dogs,,one of mine right now, cannot tolerate G & C, she vomits every single time, so I tried eliminating ingredients,,Unfortunately I had to go to an NSAID as in metacam, but also give her nutri vet G and it does seem to maintain her.

Adequan used on another dog, didn't do much, I've also had hydraulonic acid (sp) injections on the above dog prior to a knee surgery, a couple helped but then just leveled out..HA is also used in horses ..

I like Glycoflex, however, there are sooooo many things out on the market, what works for one dog may not work for another, it's a case of finding what works for your particular dog.
diane
Old 10-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf7 View Post
Thats a strange study cause it helped with the swelling in my fingers alot. Didnt make the swelling go down completely but considerably.
Jim who has had 4 knee surgeries swear by them.
It was a National Institutes of Health clinical trial.

http://nccam.nih.gov/research/results/gait/qa.htm
Old 10-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Active Pup

I've heard that shark cartilage is supposed to be effective, but I've personally never tried it. Adequan is supposed to be beneficial because it can stimulate cartilage repair, but it has side effects with dogs with joint infections or a history of kidney disease. Metacam can relieve the pain as well but shouldn't be used if the dog has any liver, kidney, or heart issues. Missing Link is supposed to be quite effective so it may be worth a shot.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

I purchased Glucosamine sulfate at my local health store. They come in 500mg capsules and I planned on sprinking a capsule in their frozen yogurt Kong.

Is this ok?

Also, is 500 mg too much for a 20-30 pound dog?