Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Felurian

Emma, I've seen coyote carcasses on the side of the road that had to weigh at least 70 pounds - or more. There's a licensed coyote hunter who has our sector here who says he's brought in some that were as big as a large German Shepherd. Their adaptation to our habitats hasn't been just mental - it's also been physical.

I just can't stress enough that these are not the creatures you've seen on nature programs, filmed out in the wilderness. These are highly adaptable and crafty predators that are quickly becoming suburban super-predators.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Top Dog

I meant dog, cat, fox, and antelope carcasses. I know how big those coyotes can get! I've been right in the middle of their hunting parties, scared to death and trying not to look like food! But bless them if they can live off of human society. I admire squirrels and crows for that. That may be the only wildlife we have left pretty soon....

I'm kind of an all-around canid nut, but I also love to watch coyotes hunt. My BF's PhD thesis is about prairie dogs living in urban habitats. Several colonies run right through Denver along a canal that they haven't developed basically because they can't. There is a loose pack of coyotes that hunt up and down the canal. They're expert hunters. I've seen them trot in and just pick up two or three prairie dogs before they're even noticed.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Felurian

Actually, the coyotes are part of the problem with our diminishing wildlife. Here, they have crowded the wolf out of its natural habitat, and breeding with feral dogs is a real problem.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-09-2005, 10:07 PM
no touchy

There are quite a few coyotes out here. Sometimes you can hear them at night. My Mom saw one trotting around a neighborhood once, and we've seen them when we brought the girls to the field. I think they've been feasting on the rabbit around here, seeing as we've found quite a bit of bunny fur out in the yard.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:10 PM
MIiA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Emma, I've seen coyote carcasses on the side of the road that had to weigh at least 70 pounds - or more. There's a licensed coyote hunter who has our sector here who says he's brought in some that were as big as a large German Shepherd. Their adaptation to our habitats hasn't been just mental - it's also been physical.

I just can't stress enough that these are not the creatures you've seen on nature programs, filmed out in the wilderness. These are highly adaptable and crafty predators that are quickly becoming suburban super-predators.
Coyotes don't grow that big - unless is hybridized with a red (aka algonquin) wolf (Gray wolves are the ones that kill Cyotes). I believe a coyote typically hit's about the 40lb mark - 50 tops....ie, not that big or intimidating. Also, western coyotes seldom form packs. Hybrids, however will follow a wolves pack-mentality.

Regarding the 'super-predator' remark - the hybrids that have moved into central and eastern Canada/US are at the very least showing the superior size of the wolf mix and retaining every last ounce of cunning coyotes are famous for.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Top Dog

It's pretty intimidating that they're interbreeding with feral dogs, Renee. That's definitely a problem.

The coyotes living in the middle of Denver don't have much choice as to cooperative hunting. Near as we can tell, between four and six of them are trapped in this canal corridor, and if they were all running back and forth avoiding each other they'd never catch any prey. They'd be stepping on each other's predatory toes. We frequently see them alone, but it's not unusual for three of them to pass by and race across the golf course on their way to the east side.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:54 PM
Felurian

The guy that I was telling you about, the hunter, has located four dens just on the perimeter of the little 60+ acre farm here, and several more on farther into the woods. They trot through the neighboring farm in broad daylight sometimes. The reason they're not actual ON our farm? Charley's had rather large, territorial dogs for years. He brought Joe home, probably 25 years ago or so, back before anyone had ever seen a Bull Mastiff in east Tennessee.

Game is very plentiful here, and it's allowing the predators to grow larger and, except for our dogs here, they have no natural enemies.

The coyotes are a big reason we have Filas instead of some other herding breed. You gotta figure, for a dog that's bred to hunt jaguar and wild boar as well as herd, coyotes are pretty much a day at the park . . .

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Jerk.

The coyotes Ive seen are allways individuals in the Portage Creek area I like to raft and fish. They never bother us and Im glad to see wildlife in that area, its a none hunt/trap area so the more I see the more Im glad people are following the regs and laws.

Ive seen bear prints in that area but cant tell coyote from wolf prints so from seeing the coyoites they're no wolf packs in that area.

Late summer Ill get picks of the area when the silvers are in thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 04-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Big German Shepherd

I think if Rocky was a year old, or when he's fully grown I think he could hold his own against a LONE Coyote. The vet and his breeder both said he was going to be very big.

I would rather him not take a chance though. I've always been for the method of standing up for yourself, lol. But I don't think it s

But I live in the suburbs, not really any other animals but squirrels, domesticated animals, and the occasional raccoon.

I'm surprised such a small breed of dog scared away three big coyotes. Very brave on the dogs part.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Felurian

Yeah, you really don't want to expose Rocky to that kind of thing. Coyotes don't take on a large dog one-on-one. They aren't fighting for territory, or aggression, they're looking for food, and they hunt in packs. Often one will act as a lure to get a dog to follow where the others can ambush.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian