Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Top Dog

Default Coyotes attack

Someone told me this story today, though I have not been able to research it, he had asked me if I heard about it. This lady was walking her dog this morning around here around Edmondson Pike. It was a Welsh Corgi. She let him off leash to run around in this field where she always does every morning and all of the sudden three coytoes appeared from the bushes and went after the dog. I asked if the dog was ok, or what happened, and he said the dog was completely fine. He said that dog fought back and scared all three of those coyotes off. I was relieved to hear the dog was fine, because I was really worried, as he is not a big dog.

Last edited by bogolove; 04-08-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Top Dog

Coyotes are getting brave, I know that. LIke I've said before, there is a den just in the group of trees off the field behind us. Some nights they are very noisey. Real freaky when it sounds like the hole pack running acrossed the field. I rarely seen any out in the day time, always in the evening, and thru the night.
Sure glad that dog got away from them.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Don't encourage me..

I have no idea about Coyotes we don't have them in Europe!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 04-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Felurian

It's more likely that the fact that there was a human close by scared them off. Coyotes hunt in packs, and I'm not willing to even take a chance on Bimmer getting caught out by a couple of them, let alone a little Corgi! Three coyotes would have easily finished of a little dog like that - or a much bigger dog.

Just another good reason not to let dogs roam off leash, especially alone. Early morning and after dusk are the worst times.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

Good job for that brave little Corgi! My sister used to live way out in the country and you could always hear packs of coyotes roaming through the area. Then the packs started a new gig and one would lure out a female country dog who was in heat. Once the dog was out away from the house, a bunch of others would move in and circle it and they'd go in for the attack to kill the poor dog. It was AWFUL! She had two sweet golden retrievers at the time and we were terrified about it...

ETA: HER dogs weren't ever attacked or anything...
Old 04-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Jerk.

There packs of coyotes about 60 miles south of here I havent heard of any being in my area, but that dosent mean much. Ive never heard anything on the news of coyote attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 04-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Felurian

If you have wolves around coyotes tend to stay away. The wolves will kill coyotes if they trespass much in wolf territory.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Top Dog

That doesn't surprise me much. I've been circled by some coyotes in my time in Colorado. They aren't stupid, and corgis can be nasty little dogs when they think they need to. A well-fed coyote might reconsider going for a healthy dog that was willing to hurt him. A good meal, but not worth the fight! They may have decided that, with plenty of bunnies around to eat, they didn't need to nurse a dog bite to get dinner.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Felurian

The packs around here will take on a Lab or even a Rottie. They're losing their fear of humans and are also interbreeding with feral dogs, making them much more dangerous than they used to be. A guy at a neighboring farm had a Rottie that slept outside at night in a kennel until he noticed his Rottie acting funny when he let him out in the morning and saw that the kennel fencing was bent in places. He stayed up to watch one night and a pack of three coyotes was trying to pull the pen open to get to the dog. His dog is now and indoor dog and they've moved away.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

Holy moly, Renee! We've found carcasses while exploring habitat fragments in the city for Seth's PhD project, but nothing nearly as big as a rottie! Poor dog. I hope he's recovered!