Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-07-2005, 11:56 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Default Chasing Shaffer

I went over to braid up Hyia's hair and the dogs had gotten muddy playing in the back yard.it is bath day so i said i would take Shaffer home with me and return him later. I got out to the car and he backed out of the collar. He ran a few yards away and turned but wouldn't come when he was called. I tried everything from taking Vic and Mary out and then back in to trying to encourage him to follow me to mom's door. He wasn't about to do either. If i tried to approach..he ran further so i was in and out of the car trying one thing after another. I did discover that when the car moved..he followed it so i went with what was working. I drove around the block and he chased the car. After the first time around i stopped in the drive took Vic and mary out..and that dang Shaffer headed up the hill instead of through the gate. Soooo everybody back in the car and this time i went around the block three times at 25 miles an hour..a tired shaffer will be much easier to catch and a thirsty Shaff might be more agreeable to going home..it worked. After running aroung the block 4 times he was pooped..and i was able to get my hand on his scruff. He is laying beside me now..and we will be getting in the tub after i recovery. Good grief the dogs are making me nuts.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Felurian

Poor guy. It sounds like he is so comfortable with your mama that he doesn't want to go anywhere else. It really makes sense, considering his former owner was an elderly woman.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-07-2005, 01:21 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

It is the car..he hates the car, it makes him sick but i am only three minutes away..so i ama going to get dramimine before i take him home. Just glad i caught him. It is cold and damp and i feel like heck today but letting him go just wasn't an option. Glad he decided to follow the car. I imagine if i would have driven slow all the way home he would have been glad to just run along side. Funny how Onyx can adore my car and Shaffer turns green just looking at it.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:51 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Shaffer's and my snout to nose..while mary and Vic soak in the tub.
I told Shaff i am his last chance hotel. That it is a mean bad world for dogs on the loose out there. I told him when I say Here boy//come here son...he better come running because as long as he does..i will not let any bad harm come his way. This i can promise with my whole heart..(now i have made myself cry) i told him he scared the mama and that is always the wrong thing to do.
I was scared i was going to lose him for a few minutes...he wasn't coming and getting farther and farther from Mom's. I don't know what is in his head and his heart..he might try to find home..he might be thinking of his sister..you could see he was confused not knowing which way to go..