How long might a female puppy bleed during her first heat?

Goobiedogs

MiniSchnauzer Goobiedogs!
My pup is in her first heat. I never had a female pup so I dont know, how long might she spot and bleed? It has been 9 days already. I put doggie underwear on her and change her frequently and also give her some time in her crate without underpants so she can clean herself. But how long should this last?

I was told by someone 7-10 days. Anyone know? Tomorrow will be 10 days and it is still brownish red with no sign of stopping yet. I do plan on getting her fixed, was just waiting a while for her first heat.

Thanks. I am worried it seems too long for a small pup.

bubbatd

I usually had a week in with redish brown ... a week of red amd a week of the redish brown again . ... I kept my females from my males for 4 weeks . Please have her spayed in 3 to 4 months from now .

Goobiedogs

Thank you. So are you saying 3 weeks total? WOW I cant believe that.

I will get her fixed in about 3-4 months, as you suggested. Any reason you suggest 3-4 mths?

I wanted to wait a while, becuase she still has some urinary issues where she cannot hold it long in exciting or playful situations. So I didnt want to put her through surgery and add any more discomfort to her, or add anything that might mess up further bladder training (we are still working on that at 7mths old).

Thanks so much.

bubbatd

After a heat it takes a while for the hormones to return to normal . Watch her carefully !!! You don't want pups !

My dogs 1st and only heat last the whole 4 weeks. To me it was pretty bad, there were drops of blood all over the place. She didnt' like the diaper with the pads so I cleaned it up, thank goodness for hardwood floors. I decided having her sequestered for those 4 weeks and the mess, she really didn't need another one. I waited 3 months and on her birthday she was spayed.

Goobiedogs

Another question

Does the bleeding mean she has already ovulated? Or does the bleeding mean she is still ovulating? I mean, is it like humans or no? When we get our periods, it means we are not pg. For them, does it mean the same thing?

What I am worried about was we took her to a dog park on Sept 30. She had no signs of heat, we never had a female dog and didnt think of it at all ignorantly or we wouldnt have taken her. My husband and I watched her every second for sure, I didnt see any dog come too close to her. In fact, she was huddled in the corner since it was her first time.

I am paranoid (my husband tells me I am crazy, no dog was even close to being on top of her) that COULD she be pg? Is this a sign of being pregnant (bleeding) or NOT pg? I spoke to the nurse at the vets. She told me if my dog mated, I WOULD KNOW, as they would be locked into each other. I am sure no dog got on her.

I love my dogs and never want anything to happen to them. I never had dogs before this, and my boy is fixed so I never thought about it. Please make me feel better here. Or do you think there is even a remote chance she could be pg? Could I have missed the mating if my eyes were on her the whole time? UGH. Should I take her to the vet to get checked out or would I definitely know if she was mounted by another dog?

Thanks so much. I always had every intention of getting her fixed closer to one year old, but no more dog parks for us till then. And how many times a year would a dog go into heat if not fixed? Thanks again.

showpug

My bitch bled for 3-4 weeks on her first heat. That is generally how long they will bleed each heat.

Dogs can get pregnant when they are bleeding. It is different than humans.

If you took her to the dog park and never took your eyes off of her then you are fine. Just get her spayed in 3 months and watch her like a hawk until then. Leash on at all times when she's outside (even in your yard) and no strange/intact dogs are to come near her. This means no dog park etc. Intact male dogs can smell a bitch in heat for miles. They WILL find her if you leave her unattended.

bubbatd

True , but don't count on it !!! I've had some at 15 days and one at 27 days . Many start off so light , you don't even know that they are in heat .

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Theres always a chance she could be if she happen to escape your attention for a min or two. Its possible it could happen that fast. Its unusual but its possible.
I highly doubt it though. From what I am getting from your posts.
This is how the cycle usually on the average works. First week in is bleeding this bleeding should slow down and become more clear, Then she will be ovulating anywhere from the 7th day (usually more like the 9th) all the way up to 16th day on the average. However there are more unusual females who ovulation lasts much much longer:yikes: Or even sooner! The average Prime day for breeding is the 12th-16th day. So chances are right now she is in prime and will stand for a male if given the opportunity. Stand meaning allowing the male to do his "thing".:D Most females will not stand untill they have ovulated or are very close to. Usually within 24 hours.
Keep her confined and watched like a hawk all the way untill her vulva is normal. Another way to know she is done is to have a progesterone test done on her. Cost is fairly inexpensive like $30. I would do this on about day 20. That is towards the end of her cycle. Just to make sure she isnt a late breeder. You probably want to have more than one done to be sure. So another at 27or 28 days. She should be done by then.
Welcome to the forum BTW:D

Goobiedogs

Thank you for so much info!

Thank you for explaining the cycle for me. I really appreciate that. I always want to know more, and that helps.

Her vulva is VERY swollen, so are her nipples. That was how I started to suspect she might be going into heat and then when the blood came I knew i was right.

Plus my male urinated in my house on her urine so I knew something was up, since he has never done this in my house since we have her. He is fixed though...plus he is not a humper thank God, so he hasnt bothered her.

Thanks again, thanks for the welcome. My dogs are my babies, so it is nice to be able to find others to share info with. Very nice. :)

The progesterone test is a blood test?

Heat

So that is how it is with female dogs! I recently got my first (had dogs, but males) 3 yr old unspayed female from animal shelter. Just read a comment on this board about spaying but leaving ovaries in. Really interesting as i had been wondering about that very thing. Makes sense, but i guess they would still go into heat? ......meaning she would still attract all the male dogs within several miles???

Any thoughts on leaving ovaries in, or is the "normal" type of spay the best to go with?

moonchild1970

Designated Ball Thrower
Be careful if you take her to the dog park again anytime soon. Even smelling like she is in heat if she isn't anymore, can cause major dog fights! Not to mention accidental breedings. Good luck keeping the males away. They can get very nasty around females in heat. I saw that on animal Planet's Houston Animal Cops. The males attacked the officers.

Members online

No members online now.