fish keeping

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
anyone here keep freshwater fish?
i have a couple of questions about cycling my FW tank. i know laura ann keep fish, but i havent seen her lately.

my question is.. i am cycling my tank WITH fish. i dont want the fish to die, but i know its possible.
every time the ammonia gets at .25 or more i will change the water.
i am wondering if i am changing it too much and prolonging the cycle. if so, then how high does the ammonia need to be before a water change.

and anyone ever heard of biosparta? we dont have it where i am from, i was wondering if anyone knows anything similar that works

~Tucker&Me~

Hey.
Okay, I am going to start off by saying that you can cycle withought fish, and it is much more humane then making the fish live through really bad conditions and possibly dying. I can give you some great links:

This one is about fishless cycling-
http://www.fishtanksandponds.info/setting-up/cycling/fishless_cycling.htm

This is about cycling in general-
http://www.fishtanksandponds.info/setting-up/cycling/cycling.htm

This site is like a fishkeeping bible to me and has just about everything you want to know. It has a forum as well for fish questions.

If you want to know anything else, let me know.

Perhaps you have a friend with a mature tank who can keep your fish for you while you cycle your tank?

~Tucker

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
i have cycled with fish before. i know about fishless cycling but just never considered trying it. i know its more humane, and i should give it a shot.
i am almost done with the ammonia part, and to the nitrite part so i am half done.
i dont have even know anyone with fish, muchless a mature tank.
thanks for the links and advice

~Tucker&Me~

Definately give it a try, at least next time then.

It is really hard on the fish and if we can prevent unnecassary suffering, we should!

~Tucker

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
thanks. i love fish keeping.
i want a tank of discus someday. like... 12 discus. ooooh goodness i better invest in a huge tank.
and i want another tank with some iridescent sharks... another humongous tank

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
You're doing a good job of cycling right now. Just be vigilant, and all should go well.

I'd say go with the fishless cycling in the future. Having used a fishless cycle a few times, I wouldn't do it any other way. It's so much easier. But remember to use pure ammonia. Almost all the ammonia-based cleaning agents you get in the store have added suds and scents. I found my ammonia at a store that supplies commercial housecleaning operations.

Fishless cycling also works best with territorial fish like cichlids, where you must add all the fish at the same time. You can throw in your full tankload of fish without crashing the nitrate cycle.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I have 2 goldfish in a tank with a filter, but i never did any type of cycling....what exactly is that? i read a few sentances of the link, and i'll read more later on as i've g2g for now, but is it un healthy for my fish not to have cycled it?

~Tucker&Me~

Dixie's Mom,
It is one of the main causes of death in fish :(.
Fishkeeping, sadly enough, is barely ever done right or responsibly.

Goldfish, as people don't often know, should be housed in a tank that is 10g per fish... So that would mean your tank should be at least 20g...

I am not trying to be a nag, but it's a pretty sensitive topic to me (that sounds so gay, LOL). I just see and hear so much about neglect and irresponsibility with fishkeeping. If you have any questions or ANYTHING, let me know. I am always glad to help :).
By the way, that site is GREAT. You should read some of the info there or even consider joining ;).

~Tucker

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
a fish in an uncyled tank is like...
you breathing in toxic air causing permanent damage to your nose and lungs. burning you, and there is no escape ultimately it will lead to your death.

cycling with fish is a bit unhumane, but i havent let my ammonia get dangerous and i am keeping a very close check so its not like that from the fish i am cycling with.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I have 2 goldfish in a tank with a filter, but i never did any type of cycling....what exactly is that? i read a few sentances of the link, and i'll read more later on as i've g2g for now, but is it un healthy for my fish not to have cycled it?
Odds are, the tank has already cycled itself. Tank cycling happens naturally in every single tank (with the possible exception of planted tanks, since plants can suck up ammonia like a sponge).

Cycling happens when you add fish to the tank. Fish, like all living things, naturally produce ammonia. Ammonia is toxic to fish.

In nature, there are bacteria present that convert ammonia to nitrite, and then nitrite to nitrate. In a new fish tank, these bacteria are not present yet. They need time to grow. So in a new tank, the ammonia just builds up until enough bacteria grows to safely process it. If it gets too strong, it will kill your fish. But if you clean out the tank 100%, you actually remove all the bacteria along with the ammonia. So you basically start all over.

There are test kits you can by to keep track of the ammonia levels. Once the ammonia level gets too high, you can bring it down by doing a water change. After about 2 weeks, the ammonia suddenly disappears. That's because the bacteria have grown and are doing their job. That's what cycling is.

One the the biggist "newbie" mistakes in fishkeeping is throwing all your fish into the tank at once. The resulting massive ammonia spike can kill them all. The best thing is do the cycling process with one or two hardy fish. The small fish amount will make sure that the ammonia production is minimal. From there, add additional fish one or two at a time.

After each fish addition, you may have a mini-cycle, where your ammonia goes up a bit. That's because the new fish are adding extra ammonia, and the bacteria haven't increased their numbers enough to take care of it. You have to allow time for the ammonia-eating bacteria to increase their numbers to compensate.

You can cut down on cycling time by "seeding" the tank with a few handfulls of gravel from an established tank. The gravel has bacteria in it, and will cut the cycling time way down.

Another option (and I think the best) is fishless cycling. It is much easier than traditional cycling. To fishless cycle, you basically add the ammonia by itself. Just buy some pure ammonia and add a few drops into the tank every day. No need to bother with water changes: there are no fish to worry about. Keep that ammonia level as high as you want! Just use test kits to keep track of the cycling conditions. When the ammonia spike is replaced with a nitrite spike, and then nitrate, you know cycling is done.

Another advantage to fishless cycling is that you can throw all your fish in at once without a problem. If you've added enough ammonia, you've grown all the bacteria needed maintain a full stocking level.

Members online

No members online now.