Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default Tapeworms, how do dogs get them? Are their any effects from the medicine?

We took Holly to the vet today and I told them that I saw a worm and her poop and I described it. The nurse said that it was tapeworm (it was a flat worm). They gave her a shot that they said would clear it up along with her rabies shot. Now I just took Holly outside and she pooped and it was watery. I called the vet right away and the girl answering the phone said she would have him call me back when he was out of surgery. I know she's still adjusting to the Innova but it was starting to firm up and now that she has gotten her shots it was watery agian. Should canned pumpkin help her at all? I also called to inform the breeder about the tapeworms and they said that she was for the most part an inside dog and only went outside when someone was out there. They did live on a farm so she was constantly in contact with a horse and some other animals. They said they would pay for her shot, as well as the ear medicine that she needed because her vet didn't detect them before she came with us and our vet said she probably had the worms prior to us picking her up and the ear infection was definetely before we got her.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Bobsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry View Post
We took Holly to the vet today and I told them that I saw a worm and her poop and I described it. The nurse said that it was tapeworm (it was a flat worm). They gave her a shot that they said would clear it up along with her rabies shot. Now I just took Holly outside and she pooped and it was watery. I called the vet right away and the girl answering the phone said she would have him call me back when he was out of surgery. I know she's still adjusting to the Innova but it was starting to firm up and now that she has gotten her shots it was watery agian. Should canned pumpkin help her at all? I also called to inform the breeder about the tapeworms and they said that she was for the most part an inside dog and only went outside when someone was out there. They did live on a farm so she was constantly in contact with a horse and some other animals. They said they would pay for her shot, as well as the ear medicine that she needed because her vet didn't detect them before she came with us and our vet said she probably had the worms prior to us picking her up and the ear infection was definetely before we got her.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tapeworm.html
Old 10-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Thanks! We did treat her for fleas with frontline plus before we brought her home. We stopped and bathed her at the petstore and then put the frontline plus on right there in the parking lot and we still have 2 more months worth of applications for her. We treat Hannah with the same stuff as well. I just worry about the watery poop now.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Active Pup

I can advice you with something that helped me, or my dogs, once and it's the wormer that you can find in www.cosmic1.net
Good luck!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Yorkie Love

Wow, it seems to me you got Holly from a very good breeder.

Elissa
Old 10-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry View Post
Thanks! We did treat her for fleas with frontline plus before we brought her home. We stopped and bathed her at the petstore and then put the frontline plus on right there in the parking lot and we still have 2 more months worth of applications for her. We treat Hannah with the same stuff as well. I just worry about the watery poop now.
your supposed to wait 24 or 48 hours (cant remember) before or AFTER bathing to put frontline on...
Old 10-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Bobsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416 View Post
your supposed to wait 24 or 48 hours (cant remember) before or AFTER bathing to put frontline on...
48 hours before and after Frontline, don't bathe or soal the dog....
Old 10-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsk8 View Post
48 hours before and after Frontline, don't bathe or soal the dog....
Oops. Oh well, she still has 2 treatments left and I search her a lot and can not find fleas on her, or Hannah. She needed a bath for a couple mornings after getting her first treatment because she kept pooping in her crate so that was inevitable.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanji View Post
I can advice you with something that helped me, or my dogs, once and it's the wormer that you can find in www.cosmic1.net
Good luck!
What kind of worms did it cure?
Old 11-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Active Pup

In general they suppose to work for all but I don't know if they really does it - that's a good question...