Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Big German Shepherd

I have a question for breeders (Love4Pits) anyone else . . .

This is just out of curiosity . . .

But if I were to become a breeder some day and I wanted to have a batch of good dogs with good temperament and basically good blood lines, where do you go and get the male and female to breed? Do you buy them from a kennel? Or what?

And what is "heat cycle" and such terms. Is it during their pregnancy or what? If you could leave me some terms, that would be great.

This is just for curiosity's sake. It's something I really want to know about.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Top Dog

You would get a dog from a very good breeder that's shown on many occassions and WON...the best of the best......sounds anal but the only reason anyone should be breeding is for the betterment of the breed....and anything below the best of the best just isn't good enough..there are TONS of great dogs out there that need homes...mutts..."left overs" if you will...why breed unless you're doing the entire breed a big favor? And even breeders participate in rescue groups and do their part because they know they have to balance it all out..

But anyways..that was really directed towards everyone..not just you in general lol hope that helps?
Old 04-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Top Dog

I agree....there's no need to breed except for the betterment of each particular breed. I breed to extend my Golden line and for temperment/health/etc. That was 40 years ago. I usually had at least 6 on the waiting list and I only had a litter every 2 or 3 years. FYI ....the heat cycle is their "period"...they only time they will or can mate. Each cycle lasts about 3 weeks...with fertility anywhere from 10 to 17 days. This is the only time a female will accept the male. The "tie" is when they mate and are actually attached for 5 to 10 minutes. During this time they have to be watched, turned etc. so that neither gets hurt. The "whelp" is when the female delivers. The Mom nurses for 3 to 4 weeks and during this time eats all of the pups stools. As she weans them and you supply puppy food, she leaves the clean up to you....4 poops a day each....10 pups = 40 poops. Those who are not "good" breeders, leave this mess and pups don't learn early on how to be clean. It a long hard job....leave it to a pro. TMI ??
Old 04-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Felurian

Hugs to our BigDoggyDaddy! Always so curious and wanting to learn - to know something just to have more knowledge!

I believe if ever anyone could someday be a conscientious and totally responsible breeder he's the one!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-06-2005, 09:10 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

It would be best to go to the shows and watch and talk to the breeders that u admire most..i have yet to meet anydog person who wasn't willing to talk about their dogs! learn from the best!
Old 04-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

Another suggestion. If you really want to persue this some day, and have a specific breed in mind...get a copy of their AKC National Magazine .....It will have class breeders , winners , articles , with a lot of pictures to see the type you like. This way you can contact certain breeders . I agree, the more you learn, the better breeder you would/will be. Also buy the book "How to raise a puppy you can live with"...there's a section on why or why not to breed.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Felurian

At one point in my life, I had hoped one day to be able to breed German Shepherds and get back to the old fashioned Shepherds - back when they were 60-75 pound dogs, sound of limb and temperament, no sloping hindquarters, good skin, good working instincts . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Top Dog

If you do. let me know!! I love the old ones..the first do I remember was a GS/Wolf mix my parents bought near the Yukon in 1929. I still remember being in a carriage at about 3 watching my mother going up winding starts to a bakery while Perro stood guard. The only reason I didn't go for the bread is that in the 50s they were getting a bad name and I didn't want to take chances as we wanted children....thus Golden retrievers.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Felurian

In the mid '70s the best place to find a German Shepherd was to find a farmer who had been raising his own dogs. Those old farmers knew good stock when they had it! That's where my first one, Purdue, came from, although none of us had any real knowledge of what we were doing, it was a complete accident. A wonderful accident, but completely by chance.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Big German Shepherd

Thanks for the help everyone!

Yeah, you know, I'd consider it to start breeding GSD's or maybe . . . Rhodesian Ridgebacks . . . or Neapolitan Mastiffs (probably my next dog).

Hehe, just wanted to learn a little something.