Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 10-14-2006, 08:31 AM
cindr

Default Starting a rescue

Well since we have the training facility here in Ontario and loads of room as we live on 3 acres. We have decided to begin a rescue. So if there is any one that knows of a dog or cat in the area that needs assistance feel free to contact me.

Its about helping those who can not help themselves.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Top Dog

Perhaps you can get in touch with some of the local rescues to see if they need any assistance boarding/fostering their animals...

I know Bullies in Need (you can google them as I don't have their site at the top of my head) is always looking for foster parents and extra ROOM, as is the Toronto Humane Society and other shelters. Call a few and offer them your idea... good luck and thank you
Old 10-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Top Dog

It's a great thing your doing, i don't know of any webbys but you could talk to some other local rescues, Good luck
Old 10-19-2006, 12:52 PM
cindr

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_poppy View Post
It's a great thing your doing, i don't know of any webbys but you could talk to some other local rescues, Good luck
Thank you: I have been a member of the local spca for many yrs, I have been in touch with them, they have a few areas that will assist. I am going to contact the Governemnt non profit org's to see what we can get from there. Just too much work and not enough time. Thanx again
Old 10-20-2006, 02:21 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Good for you.

Thank you for opening your heart and home to those without.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Rescue Ranger

Good luck on your rescue! I think it is some of the noblest work of all...here in the States, we have to register with the Department of Agriculture, so be sure to check and make sure you are not in violation of any ordinances...I am sure there will be many organizations happy to work with you. You are an angel!
Old 10-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Top Dog

Cindr, have they given you info on 501-3c non profit applications? My concern is that you first you investigate how much time it takes to run a non-profit rescue. You currently have a boarding kennel, a training school, a grooming shop, breed dogs and you offer a franchise business opportunity to the public thru your business, that offers a potential $3000.00 day income if people get involved. Also running the program you have, teaching people to be dog trainers. This is alot. When you start taking in rescues you have to keep very accurate records, have quarantine areas seperate from your other boarders, you have to meet certain requirements. You, as a kennel owner, can take in a dog and adopt it out to the appropriate home, for just the cost of the spay/neuter, as I do from my kennel. But to aquire the non-profit status and tax deductions you're looking for to establish a rescue, is another issue. Reccommend you look at their application first.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:52 AM
cindr

Quote:
Originally Posted by otch1 View Post
Cindr, have they given you info on 501-3c non profit applications? My concern is that you first you investigate how much time it takes to run a non-profit rescue. You currently have a boarding kennel, a training school, a grooming shop, breed dogs and you offer a franchise business opportunity to the public thru your business, that offers a potential $3000.00 day income if people get involved. Also running the program you have, teaching people to be dog trainers. This is alot. When you start taking in rescues you have to keep very accurate records, have quarantine areas seperate from your other boarders, you have to meet certain requirements. You, as a kennel owner, can take in a dog and adopt it out to the appropriate home, for just the cost of the spay/neuter, as I do from my kennel. But to aquire the non-profit status and tax deductions you're looking for to establish a rescue, is another issue. Reccommend you look at their application first.
Thanx otch1, I am investigating it fully, I do not want to get in over my head. I as well have been thinking of hiring the right individuals on the facility to run that spacific area. It is most important that it is well drawn up and run professionally. I know I have worked for many rescues in the past and these individuals, were theives in disguise. So I will work on the aspect with caution and responsibility Thanx again for you input
Old 10-21-2006, 11:24 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Congrats! I do not know of any dogs in need near you, as I live in TN, but I've always wanted to do rescue work. I'm in the middle of voulenteering at Happy Tales Humane down here. It'll mostly just be going in on the weekends, cleaning cages, photographing the animals, feeding, watering, bathing, etc. I'd LOVE to foster, but we won't have room for a while. Kudos to you though! That's awesome. Good luck!

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 10-22-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otch1 View Post
I'm not sure how it works in Ontario Otch1 but UNFORTUNATELY, here in Alberta it is far to easy to start a rescue group.
I know too well how quickly this kind of undertaking can get out of hand. I'm involved(at no charge of course) doing behavior work with 2 such rescues here that never should have been granted the go ahead. The dogs have suffered terribly in both cases and the rescues are still taking more dogs in.
Like you said Otch1, there is so much more to this kind of "project" than some people may think. I wish it were much more difficult to start a rescue than it is.....sadly, sometimes people are better off helping already established rescues.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/