Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

personally i think if you have a working dog (that is more than just a pet and actually has work to do) then docking and cropping is a good idea. If not i don't see why it is necessary since it is a surgical procedure (not sure how invasive docking is) but i don't think the dog is too happy about having his ears cut off if it's not necessary. But it"s just my opinion.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Top Dog

Many, many breeds have artificially docked tails: Rottweilers, Dobermans, JRTs, Poodles, Boxers, Corgis (although some are now breeding for naturally bobbed tails), Yorkies..................

I have to say that in the majority of breeders, it's their own personal wants & desires that come into play on then length of tail left. In my line of work, we've noticed a correlation b/n your typical byb gotta have dog that looks "tight" wanting the much shorter docks than those more interested in showing & preservation of a breed.

When we ask our clients how short they want the tails, most of those that don't have a clue & are worried about the coolness factor, for instance want Rottwieler tails basically completely off with it seeming like we'd have to go up into the spine to dock. We NEVER EVER do these so short basically non-existant crops. If the owner doesn't like, we tell them they are more than willing to leave & go somewhere else. We try to do all our crops according to those pictured on dogs that are the ideal breed standard......regardless of what the owner/breeder wants. In docking, you can go too short & drastically increase the chance of infection.

Plus, we will ONLY do docks on pups between 3 & 5 days old. Any older & they must wait until at least 4 months & have it done as a surgical procedure.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet molosser View Post
The woman told me the aide for the congress woman said I was ruining my dogs chances of living as a tripod with a docked tail ...
The only work Skye has had to do her whole life is to be my friend so she has her natural ears and given the choice I'd have left her with her tail too though that's neither here not there. What I want to know is...

What did that mean - living as a tripod? Is it to do with the natural balance of ears and tail? Excuse my denseness. The loss of her tail does not affect Skye's balance at all and I've never heard that phrase before.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Active Pup

I am sure all the "naturalists" will all have a field day with me, every one here seems pretty oppinionated and don't like any ones oppionion that doesn't fall with theirs. I don't like an undocked tail, I can live with natural ears, but not the tail, they look like mutts! If I wanted a mutt I would go to the pound. If they make docking illegal (not that they will ever outlaw declaws ) I don't think I would ever get a boxer, rottie, ect breed again. I would just go get a mutt or a GSD or some thing like that.

Let the nasty remarks fly! I know there comming.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

I have aussies, some are born with a natural bob tail, tho not many..I like my docked tailed aussie w/floppy ears *vbg*

my male was docked for a bob tail, maybe because he is out of working lines,
while my female is tail-less.

Alot of agility enthusiasts are now going for the "tailed" aussies as they reason the tail gives better balance.
Diane
Old 01-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Top Dog

I had no idea Yorkies were docked. I guess I've never actually been close enough to one see.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Big Dog

I hate when government comes in to dictate citizen's lives, including how their animals should look. Next they will tell us what kind of dog food we must feed and at what time and so on. It is scary.
I understand the docking/cropping for work purposes. But if we stop docking/cropping like to afore mentioned breeds (doberman, rottweiler, hunting breeds, etc.) why do we even have a breed standard? We might as well do away with any standard and just breed how each breeder wants to, or maybe as government dictates. Maybe it is cruel to breed the Chihuahua because he is too tiny to properly defend himself and it infringes in his "doggy" rights. I know, I'm reaching. :-)
Now personally, some breeds look fine with or without docking or cropping. But, because these breeds have not been bred to have a specific tail, when we start non docking, we end up with all sorts of different and funny looking tails. A boxer just isn't a boxer without a docked tail.
My dog has a gorgeous tail; he is a large mix, but sometimes I wish it was docked as it swooshes and knocks everything over, including small children.

Owned by: Faris a BorderCollie/Samoyed mix, Lucy a mixed breed, and Pearl the cavie

Old 01-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
But if we stop docking/cropping like to afore mentioned breeds (doberman, rottweiler, hunting breeds, etc.) why do we even have a breed standard? We might as well do away with any standard and just breed how each breeder wants to, or maybe as government dictates.
Huh?? The breed standard should be for traits that are bred into the dog. Not cosmetic alterations made after birth. A two-year old boxer with an undocked tail is the same dog he would be if his tail was docked. Just as well-bred.

Meg has a docked tail because that's what her breed is supposed to have. Yes, her little "nubbin" is adorable - but I wish she had her whole tail. There is just no reason for her not to. (I rescued her as an adult, in case that wasn't clear. I did not dock her tail.)

I'm not sure the government saying "you can't amputate a dog's tail" is really overstepping their bounds.

I don't think tails should be docked, although I don't mind the look of them. I think cropped ears always look odd. I'm a big fan of floppy ears!

Old 01-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Top Dog

To me any docking or ear clips are because the owner wants them to look like a pure bred ......yes, were are used to it now . I saw a Boxer with natural ears and tail at the vet's a while ago . I gave him high 5s !! I'm bothered when I see a show Golden with square cut tail hairs ! Love the way they were born .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-04-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
To me any docking or ear clips are because the owner wants them to look like a pure bred ......yes, were are used to it now . I saw a Boxer with natural ears and tail at the vet's a while ago . I gave him high 5s !! I'm bothered when I see a show Golden with square cut tail hairs ! Love the way they were born .
I have to agree Grammy. I wish I could bring back Amos and Lola's little tails and Lola's expressive ears. At least Amos's ears were left natural. Except for extreme cases where it is absolutely required for a working dog in order to reduce the risk of injury doing the job he was bred to do, I just think it's unnecessary.

JMO of course, but I never had my son "cropped" either...and now at 21 years old, he's glad I didn't.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Closed Thread