Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Milo*Shady*&NaNuks*Mum <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieCollie View Post
I wonder why some "breeders" choose to dock mixed breeds?

Sorry to bring an older thread up but exactly. It was obviously just for looks...and she wasnt a registed breeder was a backstreet gas station breed

Old 10-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Top Dog

Well, after having lived with Rotties for years and helping whelp 5 litters over the course of 20 years. We always docked oour rotties tails right after they were born. It is done for show purposes now and personally I don't like the au natrual look althouhg there are some very nice dogs that are natrual, in fact our last litter was from a dog with a tail.

This is a true rottie! Not mine but a friends. He is a german Bred dog with phenomenal working ability!

Old 10-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Mistress Wigglebutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug View Post
I also have to admit that I don't like the look of an undocked rottie or an uncropped dane etc.
I find undocked tails "look funny", but I MUCH prefer natural, floppy ears! Both of my danes have natural ears and both dobies I had had natural ears as well. Nothing like seeing those 'wings' (along with jowels!) flopping in the wind as 120ish lbs of pure muscle (and sometimes fat!) comes flying through the air towards you!

-----
Puppy Whiskers, Callie Dog and my Angel, trimming and watering the grass at Rainbow Bridge while they wait for me.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:03 PM
CASSA

Here is a pic of a Central Asian this is the typical dock.
I do prefer them without the appendages .
Note the ears are done too. However I hope they dont ban this practice any time soon they tried too in NY this year with a bill and i was on the tel for days trying to stop it. Thank god it did not get a sponsor.
The woman told me the aide for the congress woman said I was ruining my dogs chances of living as a tripod with a docked tail and that I want to cause the pups pain. She was a young kid who had no idea of what some dock cropped breeds are used for... All she knew was show dogs..

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 10-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Staffy Smile Addict

Personally, I refuse to let "the norm" dictate my personal beliefs. I don't believe in putting a human conception of beauty through an animal, when it involves things such as that. JMHO

I have a natural breed, so I'm not faced with that decision. If I were, I wouldn't do it.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:40 PM
CASSA

I have a working breed and 3 day old cropping more so than docking same age makes for less injuries and infection.

Also can save their lives when figthing a predator.
I would not do it for show purposes had a working doberman as a sentry guard dog and the criminals did not push it with him all because he had ears and tail. It confused the hell out of many what he was but Satan did not mind the attention.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 10-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Staffy Smile Addict

I know plenty of guard dogs, working dogs, etc, who are natural. I guess it comes down to being a personal opinion.
And personally, I just don't like it so I don't do it.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:56 PM
CASSA

Well it comes down to predator control my breed has had tails cropped and docked like this for 4,000 years long before Westminster was created.

When a wolf pack attacks one wolf grabs the ear and pulls the opposite way which allows the throat of the dog to be exposed thus the other wolf rips the dogs throat out.

My breed comes from a part of the world where the nearest Vet is thousands of miles away. When they fight bear , tiger , Hyena etc if they survive.
Their is no antibotics ,the deserts of the Karakum are deadly more with bugs and heat than the predators...

Workings can mean herding, protection work, draft etc.
Livestock dogs even the ones we know of like ASD Kangal Akbash CO CAS Tatra all were either cropped or docked in native lands at one time or another.

One of the reason was for the tail to tell the dogs from the wolves they were bred to hunt back 100 years ago. So the hunter does not shoot the dog instead of the wolf during nite raids.

This crop is done at 3 days so we dont know which pups is going for work vs pet until temp and structure start to show themselves at a later date too late to do this on wholes litters.

Some lines of this breed have NATURAL docked tails thus it tends us to believe years of cropping and docking had its reasons.

IN my pack of 10 if they had ears I would be at the Vet Daily..
Tails few times of year when they would be broken in accidents.

Again not for all working breeds.........

[B[/B].
Old 10-29-2006, 06:38 AM
Puppy Dog

I have 2 Rotty mixes and I love their tails.... Our 8 year old, Nina is 1/2 rotty 1/2 chow and altough her tail is beautiful curled up like a chow, she tends to bite at the base of it, we are always watching her to make sure she doesn't chew herself raw, if we had been givin a choice we would have had her tail docked just because of it bothering her.... Our 4 1/2 old rotty/ ? mix has not had a problem with chewing at his (knock on wood) we got both dog when they were 7 weeks old and far past the age of docking....... although I love watching them wag their tails I see why rottys are docked......
Old 10-29-2006, 06:56 AM
Dog Lover Boutique

Yorkies tails are docked. Since they are so tiny when born (some 2 to 3 oz) I usually wait until they are a week old to do it. When I first started breeding Yorkies the tail was supposed to be docked at the beginning of the lighter colored hair. Now the tail is being left longer and it is a lot harder to figure out how long to leave it. I like the tail left a little longer myself. It is easier to get ahold of when you need to trim the hair around their anus.
Closed Thread