Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Active Pup

Exclamation The great escape

My dog, 18 month old GS/Rot is an escape artist. Recently, we are dealing with vehicle issues so she is not getting to go on car trips with us and I think she is getting aggrivated by this and proceeds out the front door anytime it is open. I can't walk her due to health problems and my husbands schedule does not allow ample walking time. She is a chain dog because she jumps fences and we have a good size back yard for her to roam. BUT if no one is out there with her she HAS to be on the chain. Our backyard is chain-linked between three other yards and she jumped all three fences one time to freedom. She has jumped out of the front door screen (it didn't have a hole in it prior to her jumping thru it) our sliding glass door screen my daughter's first floor windows and of course out the front door when we were not quick enough to stop her. In house and yard she comes when called. When she is free, forget about it. And to chase her down......omg. I had three military guys trying to get her and they couldn't keep up either. I can't do it cause of the health thing, I can't walk to do it. But you have to cornor her and then tackle cause she is so quick. We are military and live on base so this is not good. We can get in ultimate trouble. Shes quick! What do I do to stop this behavior. We have tried a shock collar for large breed dogs, even at the highest leval it did not affect her. We have tied her up inside when we were expecting the door to be opened. I am so darn frustrated with this!
Old 04-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Big Mutts

I don't know what to tell you but I can symathize, my mama's German shepard Angel climbs their fence. They put up electric fence but she just takes the shock to get out. For a while she wouldn't get out if we tied a balloon to her climbing spot (b/c she is scared of them)But that wouldn't work with you (even if yours had same fear) b/c it's not same spot everytime. Our Carey also jumped out screen door couple of times. Angel broke window once too.Wish I had some advice. How tall is fence?
Old 04-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Active Pup

its a 4 ft chain link, i can not get one higher than that cause again./...base regulations...we are lemmings everything must look the same. I bought a palm plant to deter her in her main jumping spot, she just uses it as leverage and its about dead now...sigh. I am so glad I am not alone. I hope someone might have suggestions. I know the electric fence will do no good with her...she is a determined lil butthead. Is this a GS trait? Or is it just a big dog trait?
Old 04-02-2005, 11:04 PM
Big Mutts

Angel is a white German Shepard, she does it to get back in the house. If she hears a gunshot, thunder, if Carey is aggravating her, or if she's told you she wants in (scratching on, standing up on back door) and you haven't let her inshortly after. She jumped through the window to get at squirrel. Carey jumped through our screen several times to get at things, she also has figured out if she pushes hard enff the screen door will come open, lets herself out! Carey is mixed (your guess is as good as mine) but is poss. GS.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Big Dog

Smile

I can't offer any fence climbing training advice. But, I was thinking there might be some solutions to the exercise issue.

Is there anyway you can hire a dog walker to help with exercise? I understand funds may be tight. Maybe a dog walker who is willing to trade some time for something, like, you watch her kids, she walks your dog?

Does your dog know how to fetch? Fetch for cookies is fun. You sit for 20 minutes, she brings you toys for breakfast! Maybe some mental games while she is outside? Like a Kong toy filled with canned dog food and a little cottage cheese or peanut butter. Layer the ingredients. Freeze it, then give it outside. Will take her a long time to eat her popcycle and take her mind off of running away.

Are there dogs on base she can play with in the morning? Maybe set up a play date in the am. There might be another dog owner there who is itching to get their dog some exercise too.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

I was going to suggest a dog walking service too. I understand that things can be tight, but you have to remember that a dog with no exercise is a destructive and frustrating dog. You won't be able to cure this problem without getting him ample daily exercise.

There's a little trick we've come up with over the years to stop dogs who jump fences. It works best on dogs who put their paws up first, then jump, but it also works okay with dogs who just clear it in one bound. (The good news is, it's cheap and easy so if it doesn't help, you haven't lost much! ) At the hardware store, buy some L-brackets (one for each support post in your fence), a long, heavy-duty cord or cable (as long as the parimeter of your fence), and several lengths of 1 1/2" or 2" PVC pipe (have them cut to fit between the support posts). Attach the L-brackets to the top of each support pole, right at or just an inch below where the actual chain link stops. If you can drill them into the poles, great, but if not you can get them on there pretty tight with wire and some creative weaving in the chain link. Attach one end of the cable to the first bracket on the far edge of the fence. Then thread the cable through a length of PVC. You want the PVC to stretch almost completely from one bracket to the next, but not quite touching them. Then pull the cable tight, thread it through the next bracket, and do it all again, all the way around the yard. There are a couple of reasons this seems to work so well. If a dog has to put his feet up before he can jump, the free-rolling PVC will discourage him from getting his footing, and he will have to at least rethink his strategy. Even for dogs who don't put their feet up first, you are making the jump wider, which makes a lot of difference in the way they have to jump. They may decide it's not worth it.

So I hope this helps. Please keep us updated!!
Old 04-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Big Mutts

Creature teacher, that is great advice I will tell my mom for Angel. Thanks
Old 04-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Active Pup

creatureteacher great advice! I will have to get the proper forms and permission to do it, but that is a great idea! I know I can not drill into the fence...its rented LOL. I hate living on base so many rules and regs, they expect it to be one way and then when things go wrong they wonder why. sigh....
Old 04-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Active Pup

ok let me add this question on here. While I have a big dog that jumps fences the neighbors (duplex) have a lil dog that is digging under the fence. We don't exactly see eye to eye because well....a few months back they were working swing shifts and slept during the day, I would have ces out and she would bark, disturbing their sleep. Plus her jumping into their yard didn't help the situation (she never did it while the dogs were out). Well now they just got the puppy that is the digger. He is almost thru to our yard. He is too small to really worry about it, but neither he or my girl is fixed. I am afraid that he may get thru and try to mount and ces will bite if he tries. How do I bring this up to neighbors I don't really get along with? I mean i am looking at their dogs safty, but how do I tell someone that already has preconcived notions about my dog raising skills that their dog is bad?

LOL can you tell this is my first actual dog as an adult? I grew up with animals, dogs included but they were not my responsibility....
Old 04-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Top Dog

Ha ha, you're doing great so far, Mrs. I've had a LOT of clients with "neighbor disputes". The first thing I would urge you to do is fix your girl. If you call a local humane society, you can find out if they have a spay/neuter assistance program that can help you out with the cost of spaying. Besides completely preventing some awful health problems such as ovarian cancer and uteran cysts (not to mention complications in pregnancy), spaying will help a lot with her wanderlust by removing her drive to mate. It will also help out with lots of common behavior problems. And, on top of it all, there are just too many unwanted and homeless dogs to give your girly the chance to add to the population. Something to think about, anyway.

As for your neighbor, here's what I'd do. Make some brownies (or buy them and make it look like you made them ) and knock on her door when you know she's home. Deliver the brownies and just let her know that you have a concern about her dog's safety and although you know you weren't the best neighbor in the past (well, it's no one's fault but hers that she worked nights, but a little humble pie never killed anyone), you'd like to work on this problem together and come up with a mutually beneficial solution. Explain that you're taking steps to stop your girl from entering her yard, because you know it's irritating and you appreciate how understanding she's been (even if she hasn't). What I've done for dogs who dig is find a few twenty-something guys, offer them beer and pizza, and have them come dig a trench along the base of the chainlink. (It's a pain to dig something narrow but deep, which is what boys are useful for! ) You need to dig right next to the chainlink or it won't work. Grab some chicken wire at the hardware store, about three feet wide. Bury it under the fence, fill in the hole, and enjoy your afternoon beer. Most dogs, even big ones, won't dig that far down before they give up. This way the neighbor dog can dig all he likes without making it into your yard.