Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Yee Wee Beastie

Question Friendly pup...

Okay, I have a frustration that I need help dealing with. Jester is a very friendly puppy, and I think that's great. I'd rather have a happy sociable puppy than not. I do, however, have 2 problems that have stemmed from this that I could use a little help on:

1) When we're at home and someone comes to the door (whether they knock or ring the bell) Jester runs full speed and wants to get at that person to say hi. I literally have to hold him back, which is not too bad when it's someone coming in but makes it difficult when the UPS or FedEx guy comes. How can I correct this behavior and have him sit like a good dog? He knows he's supposed to sit at the door and I always go out first, but all bets are off when someone's out there that he wants to see.

2) When we're on a walk he is usually pretty good. He never tugs on the leash and his head stays right by my knee...until another dog comes across our path, or until someone jogs by or is also on a walk. Then he drags me over to say hi (I have to lean back against the leash with all my might to counteract this. He's only 9 months old and he can drag me against my will). How can I have a nice dog that doesn't drag me to see these people (that I would stop to say hi to anyway, because everyone in my neighborhood is very friendly)? I would really appreciate some help with this. Like I said, I love my friendly doggie but I would like the new-people wiggles to be toned down. Thanks in advance!

Thanks to stevinski for this awesome siggie!

Old 10-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Yee Wee Beastie

anyone?

Old 10-11-2006, 12:31 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

What kind of doggie is this?

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 10-11-2006, 12:35 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Oh, I see from your profile that he's a lab. What a cutie!

Have someone come to the door, and ring the doorbell, or knock. Have Jester on the leash, and if he pulls, pull him back with a firm NO. Have the person come in. If he tries to jump up, again, pull him back with a firm NO. Once he's settled down, let the person give him a treat, and a good lovin (hugs, pets, etc) but don't let him get riled up. When you're on the walk, do the same thing. If he pulls, pull him back with a firm NO to snap him out of it. Continue walking and make sure he stays in that heel position. If you need to, have a friend come over with their dog, and have them walk in the oposite direction that you're walking, and try this several times until he'll walk by the dog without even pulling. Good luck!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 10-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

Hi, I take it your puppies' not he one in the picture then. Lol! You need the appropriate equipment and to start using it. He should be on leash when someone comes to the door. If he's able to physically drag you to a person or dog in public, this has now become a safety issue, so I'd start by purchasing a Halti or Gentle leader, and get some control of him. (Where the head goes, the body will follow) What is Jester? The booklet will give you instrustions on how to properly use the equipment, but ideally you're able to get into a training class and learn how to teach him his sit-stays', down-stays and "leave-it", before he's much older or larger! For some, finances are an issue and training classes are not an option. If you have a local Humane Society, sometimes you'll find the classes there are less expensive. Good Luck!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Top Dog

Ooops, just saw Dixies' post. Jesters a lab! Well, you have your work cut out for you... you will be dealing with friendly, sloppy, "I love everyone, so they must love me" behavior for years to come! Ha.. (Get that Halti asap)
Old 10-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Yee Wee Beastie

Smile

Thank you guys so much!!!

otch - Yes, he does have the "I love everyone" attitude. He's a lover, not a fighter that's for sure! I've already taught him "leave it"...that is such a wonderful one that he's very good at responding to. I'm so greatful for that! That and "drop it" have been my salvation! So would saying "leave it" on the walk help at all? I didn't even think of that. I will look into getting the halti for him, though. Hopefully before he gets much bigger!