Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-11-2006, 08:38 AM
BusterLove

its not so muuch the name... its what the name represents. which is, the entire designer dog industry

Old 10-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Happy

Curses, I was beaten to the punch by mrose. Although I think that some people (me, me, me) find the 'made up' names for mixes to be a little awful. I'm never sure which I'm cringing from worse - the fact that the nice young couple calls their pet a 'puggle,' the possibility they paid $800 for him/her in a pet store, or the way they're looking just a hair condescendingly at my dog, who I've introduced as a mix.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:36 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
its not so muuch the name... its what the name represents. which is, the entire designer dog industry
well poop,you beat me to it. Well said, well said.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Milo*Shady*&NaNuks*Mum <3

I'm new and i'm only 15 and i understand entirely the veiws of everyone here and agree...i have a rottweiler cross GSD...and thats what she is if anyone asks..i dont even know any attractive names that would suit her! lmao
But i do think naming a mutt/crossbreed with a designer name to up your profits or pride in your dog is stupid. Its fine if you prefere to call your dog that aslong as at the end of the day you arent ignorent to what he/she really is.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

a name doesnt change what it is

lets call a cocker spaniel cross poodle a cockapoo but its still a poodle cross cocker spaniel, so why not say that, its more accurate
the only reason people use those names is so they can make more money, and i cant think of any other reason why they would

Old 10-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Chihuahua Mum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy&B View Post
What's wrong with simply saying `I have a mix`??! I happen to think that cross breeds and all kinds of mixes are adorable and there's no shame in owning one . I had a lovely Staffy mix and before that I was owned by an adorable Poodle mix and loved both of them just as much as my pedigree dogs....
This is how I feel and why I don't like (ok...I HATE) the designer mutt names. If you own a mutt...be proud you own a mutt. Don't hide behind some stupid made up name. Shout to the world that you own a Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix. Be happy that your dog is unique and there will never be another like him/her because....he/she is a mutt! It's not a dirty word, no one here sees it as a dirty word...mutt should be something you're proud to call your mix breed.

I really do feel like people who insist on using those supid DD names are just ashamed that their dog isn't a pure bred. The second those stupid names came into being every 'non-dog person' (because a real dog person loves mutts and isn't ashamed to call them that) seemed to think it was embarrassing or 'not cool' to admit to having a mix breed.

So...once again I say, Stand tall and be proud you have a mutt!. :d

Cass.

I've been frosted!

Say NO to animals in pet shops! Rescue a friend instead.
"Raise them to be gentle and they will be gentle. Raise them to be vicious, and they will be vicious.
Problems lie not in the breed, but in the people."
- Dr. Carl Semenic
Old 10-12-2006, 12:32 AM
BusterLove

we own 4 mutts! 2 were planned. 2 just sort of dropped into our lives. and i love them all. and i wouldnt change any of them for anything in the world. if some one asks what any of them are. i'll tell them. people keep guessing that mac is a doberman puppy. but she actually looks like a manchester terrier... cept with a white chest. she runs like a whippet. but apparently her mum was a mini foxy... odd. haha

Old 10-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Big Dog

Default sigh

The sad thing is, when u all make a big fuss over what a persons mutt is called, you all make yourselves look like you think the only good dog is a pure breed dog. I'm really sorry, but thats wut it looks like, its sad, a dog is a dog no matter what. Just because you all have a pure breed you all can be proud to say what kind of dog it is, but when someone has a mutt, and its a mix of something and they just want to shorten the name, its a BIG **** DEAL... I think everyone just needs to get over it. Like that other person said, every dog deserves a chance. I have 2 Labradors mixed with doberman. We joke and call it a Labramen, but we dont dwell on it. Not all of us are so into breeding a NEW BREED. We just happen to have a shelter dog, or an "accident puppy". Its sad how a lot of ppl these days dont want mutts. It was the Grand Opening of the new PetSmart here by my house, and the Animal Shelter brought puppies and dogs to get adopted out, guess which ones went first!!?? all the pure breeds. sigh... i'm not saying you all [I]are[I] like that, but man, why hate that some ppl have mutts and not pure breeds? And why hate what we call them? The one thing i do hate tho, is someone who tries to make a new breed. Some ppl are really dumb nowadays. Thats wrong, but when its a mutt that was brought here just because of nature, then great.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:03 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiepeia View Post
This is how I feel and why I don't like (ok...I HATE) the designer mutt names. If you own a mutt...be proud you own a mutt. Don't hide behind some stupid made up name. Shout to the world that you own a Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix. Be happy that your dog is unique and there will never be another like him/her because....he/she is a mutt! It's not a dirty word, no one here sees it as a dirty word...mutt should be something you're proud to call your mix breed.

I really do feel like people who insist on using those supid DD names are just ashamed that their dog isn't a pure bred. The second those stupid names came into being every 'non-dog person' (because a real dog person loves mutts and isn't ashamed to call them that) seemed to think it was embarrassing or 'not cool' to admit to having a mix breed.

So...once again I say, Stand tall and be proud you have a mutt!. :d

Cass.

Right on! A mutt is not a dirty secret. They're great dogs. You don't need some stupid made up name to be proud of your dog.

And frankly that's what I find almost all the designer names to be--stupid. Especially anything with "poo" or "doodle" in them. I'm sorry, but those names are just awful.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:00 AM
BusterLove

my mates and I have rated "poo" and "doodle" the funniest words ever invented. when conversation runs low we just have to say one of them. we can laugh and it usually makes a good conversation