Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Felurian

Not to mention, if the dog is going to be alone for 6 hours during the day, you're never going to have the time to housetrain it.

Really, at this point in your life, and just going by the description of what you are looking for in a pet, a cat would be a much better choice.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-04-2005, 11:30 PM
BusterLove

try looking in a shelter or a pound
Old 04-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Dogs rule humans drool

u must really want and must care for any dog, pls b sure that a dog is really wat u want, as yr attitude stinks. ppl on ere r helping u and u throw that in their faces, i would tell u where to go, but if u get a dog we all want to ensure it is right for u and most important it is cared for. Leaving a young puppy that has just being taken away from its mother is going to really scare the dog, it will wee and poo, chew anything so training will b needed straight away, But how can u do this if yr going to be away for 6 hours a day?

Visit my website on www.freewebs.com/animalllover
Old 04-06-2005, 12:38 PM
no touchy

First of all, DO NOT buy a teacup, tiny toy, doodle or poo breed. These all come from puppy mills where dogs are abused, neglected, and brutally killed once they can no longer produce puppies. Never ever buy a dog out of the newspaper, or from a pet store. EVER.

Find a few breeds you are interested in--that fit your lifestyle--and research them as much as possible. I don't recommend you get a puppy--there's no way you'll be able to housetrain it with you being gone six hours a day. There's no way you'd be able to teach it anything. Please reconsider getting a dog.

Welcome to the boards.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Puppy Dog

Default response

If I were you I'd go with a Shih Tzu. I personally have 2 of my own and they fit every one of the above criteria to a T. They don't bark much at all really, barely ever hear a peep out of them despite what some say. Shih Tzu's are GREAT dogs! Unfortunetly I'm a guy and you know I'd rather have something a little more masculine but what are you gonna do right?
Old 04-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Playful Husky Pup

not always true my uncle has one of those and omg all that darn dog does is yap

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 04-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Felurian

I was just describing this thread to Charley and he came up with exactly what I was thinking . . . a small dog that doesn't yap, is easy to house train, likes to snuggle up and be petted, likes to play . . . sounds like a Pitbull to me!

They really should call them American Petbull Terriers.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

It hasn't been mentioned that you CAN'T get a puppy from a reputable breeder for $500. If they're charging less than that, there's something wrong.

And you can trust me on this: if you get a puppy and leave him alone for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, you will have a maladjusted monster on your hands in a year. The only people I recommend puppies to are people who are home 20 hours a day, whether they're home in shifts or one is home all the time. I don't want to discourage you from getting a dog. But if you go with your current plan, you will be very unhappy with your dog's behavior and will probably end up giving him away before long. Puppies are very hard work. They're just like babies, if not more difficult! They're cute and sweet, but please remember that when you have a puppy you are responsible for another life; a thinking, feeling, emotional animal. Not a toy that turns on when you want to play with it and off when you're done. And I recently read a national survey of vets about the cost of raising puppies: vet care alone for a puppy in the first year averages $1100!! Adult dogs were at an average of $450. Remember, that doesn't include the costs of training (my basic obedience program is around $300, and I'm pretty inexpensive), food, toys, bedding, grooming, day care ($20-$50 a day), or dog walkers, which would all be essential in your situation.

I hope I didn't offend you, these are just my opinions. But I would not get a puppy if I were you.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Felurian

Very good summation, CT.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Top Dog

Isn't sad that people aren't more educated as to dog ownership...they aren't 'things" ...they're family members who acquire as much time as a new human baby. Anyone who wants a dog should rescue if it's their first. At least the fee is minimal and they are up on their shots and NEUTERED !! That's at least a $500. plus !