Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

Now that I've calmed down from your attitude, I will add DO NOT get any kind of sporting breed (e.g. Jack Russell). You're just asking for trouble because they need to work and have attention all the time. Perhaps a teacup poodle is more you cup of tea...
Old 04-04-2005, 09:19 PM
~x0x:::<3

Talking heres what...

Here is what I was thinking:
Maltee-Poo
Shihtzu
Yorkie
Pom
Old 04-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Top Dog

Well, I'm listening to my neighbors shiztzu (sp) barking her head off on their deck for the past two hours and she's always running off and not listening to them when they call. How she gets out. I don't know since they've got a fenced in back yard area for her. So, once again, you're not guaranteed anything by the "breed" you're getting. You're only guaranteed what type of dog you're getting if you get an adult and they've already been screened for their behavior patterns. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Island dweller

Ok here's my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Puppies - it is a lot of work to have a puppy. You WILL come home and find messes if you leave them alone for a few hours. They will get bored and chew/destroy things. Their first months are a crucial age for training. While it is possible to teach older dogs new things some habits are formed.

Once you decide on a breed you can rescue an older puppy/younger adult from a breed specific rescue. For example if you decide you adore poodles you can search "poodle rescue" in goole and come up with lots of hits. Even if there isn't one in your area they can help you find one. There are also purebreds at local shelters as well but you may have to wait awhile to find what you are looking for. You can search www.petfinder.com for your breed as well.

If you choose to go through a breeder learn about reputable breeders. I know you think 'yeah, yeah, help the population' but it helps you too. Reputable breeders don't breed animals that carry breed specific disorders. While, that doesn't guarantee that the dog won't have a problem it helps eliminate it.

www.dogbreedinfo.com has some interesting articles and tools that you could use.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/ready.htm Are you Ready? Is a good article that you should read.

Here's a quiz you can take that helps you find the right breed http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

I plugged in some answers for you, although you haven't given us enough for all the questions, and this is what they recommended.
American Hairless Terrier

Bichon Frise

Bichon/Yorkie

Bolognese

Cairn Terrier

Chinese Crested (hairless)

Chi-Poo

Chippiparai (photo needed)

Coton De Tulear

Havanese

Lowchen* (Little Lion Dog)

Maltese

Malti-Poo

Miniature Poodle

Raibs Suns

Seidenspitz

Shichon

Toy Poodle

Wirehaired Fox Terrier

Xoloitzcuintle

Yorkipoo

Yorkshire Terrier
Old 04-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

6 hours your not gonna be home ! are you gonna have someone come and take care of the puppy cause do you have any idea what kind of mess youll come home to if you leave it that long small breeds to not like to be left alone at all they want to be with someone constantly and how do you plan on potty traning a puppy when your not there my guys go out at least 5 times in an hour even if you use puppy pads (which i dont believe in) you will have to put like 7 pads down can you answer all these question if not then i dont think you should get a puppy
Old 04-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

same here there dog dont shut up 5 of my neightbor have them
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliNHunter
Well, I'm listening to my neighbors shiztzu (sp) barking her head off on their deck for the past two hours and she's always running off and not listening to them when they call. How she gets out. I don't know since they've got a fenced in back yard area for her. So, once again, you're not guaranteed anything by the "breed" you're getting. You're only guaranteed what type of dog you're getting if you get an adult and they've already been screened for their behavior patterns. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:41 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Check out Victor..in my gallery. i found him at petsavers.com. there are dogs that need you desperately out there..and a wonderful way to greet a new friend is to be a friend in need. An older dog..or an old dog would be a good choice if you are going to be gone that long unless you have a doggy door and a fenced in yard.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Island dweller

Also forgot to mention that dogs from rescues usually come spayed and vet checked which will save you $$$
Old 04-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

Well said Saje!!!

Old 04-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Top Dog

xox,,,,you"ve gotten some good advice here. You're only 13 and I don't know why you're wanting a tiny, frail dog. Is it your parents ??? Please at least check out adoption or go into sites that choose to pair up breeds and people. Small dogs can be very hyper, yippy and demanding time which obviously you do not have at your age.