Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Active Pup

Question breed for me

Im looking for the right breed of dog for me, i would like an active breed that i could take for long walks and also play with and do different activites in the garden. I would also love to do agility and some sort of training but it would be good if the dog was easy to train as this is my first dog. For grooming i am willing to spend as long as the dog needs.
Please help, any more questions that you need answering i will answer them as best i can so i can get a good picture of what breed of dog is best for me.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:34 AM
We are Home.

how much time do you have?
size?

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-10-2006, 11:42 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

The 1st thing that came to mind was a Border Collie. They are very active, and love things like Agility. I had one as a kid named Chewy. He was a sweetie!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 10-10-2006, 11:43 AM
We are Home.

they came to mind too but they do tend to be more then a first time owner can handle.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Twin 2.0

How much hair do you mind dealing with?
What size of dog appeals to you the most? Small? Medium? Large?
What size of yard do you have?
What's your daily schedual like?

A Border Collie does fit some of your wants, but they are pretty intense dogs for a first timer. Aussies are a little less intense, so you may want to think about those. Golden Retrievers are hard to go wrong with, and of course, don't discount the shelter mutts!

Actually, for any first time dog owner, I recommend that A) you do a bunch of research into the type of dog you would like and then B) Contact a local rescue group. They screen all their dogs pretty thoroughly and would be able to match you up with a good dog to fit you and your lifestyle. I wouldn't necessarily go with a young puppy, perhaps something that's around a year. I got my dog at 1 1/2 years of age from Aussie Rescue (www.aussierescue.org) and he's worked out to be a dream!
Old 10-10-2006, 11:51 AM
We are Home.

i agree with the rescue idea there zoom. i got all my diogs from rescues or rescued them from bad situations and i couldnt be happier.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Top Dog

Where's that link on finding the right dog ??? I agree with rescue too ...what you see , is what you get .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-10-2006, 12:38 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Rescues are great! My local rescue (Happy Tails Humane) has plenty of Aussie/Border type dogs that would be great for someone. On Oct. 3rd I turned 15, and now I'm old enough to voulenteer at Happy Tails! I'm excited. Anyway, back to the topic.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 10-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Twin 2.0

www.k9country.com/perl/dogBreed.pl
Old 10-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyesta View Post
Im looking for the right breed of dog for me, i would like an active breed that i could take for long walks and also play with and do different activites in the garden. I would also love to do agility and some sort of training but it would be good if the dog was easy to train as this is my first dog. For grooming i am willing to spend as long as the dog needs.
Please help, any more questions that you need answering i will answer them as best i can so i can get a good picture of what breed of dog is best for me.
Many breeds fit this bill. To narrow it down, you really need to get more shallow In other words, what suits you? A dog with a ton of energy, or a dog who can be happy napping on your feet? A bold dog who you have to squelch constantly or a restful dog who is happy to let you be the boss? It would pay to do research on any breed before looking.

A first-time dog buyer is going to hear a lot of conflicting advice about the suitability of various breeds for a newbie. The main reason some breeds are described as being 'for experienced owners' is that there's a belief that after owning a dog or two, most people have some background in reading canine body language, training a dog to behave basically, and otherwise managing a beloved pet without turning it into a monster. Important for all breeds, it's markedly more important for breeds which will, if given an unprepared human, tend to seize initiative and can easily become dangerous. I tend to believe that it is important to choose a first dog who's small enough and gentle enough so that bad handling mistakes won't create a monster. Personally, I'd say a spaniel, smaller hound or herding breed is usually a nice beginner dog. Individuals vary, of course, but they're frequently very warm, friendly, easy-to-handle dogs who accept a great deal of blundering and human stupidity.

edit: I didn't mean your stupidity, exactly. We all do stupid things as owners, especially at first, but another thing you learn as you own dogs is how to spot and cut off the stupidity of other people and animals. For example, a new dog owner might not see the excited child running pell-mell across the park to pat the 'nice doggie' but anyone who's had a dog for a while will have spotted that kid the instant she toddled out of the car. A lot of handling a dog responsibly involves handling other people. The child, the retarded adult, the just plain dumb adult, etc., are all a lot safer when a newbie has a dog who won't react protectively/aggressively to a combination of an unaware owner and a stranger's alarming behavior.