Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-10-2006, 12:52 AM
Active Pup

Angry help with stray!!!!!

hi, I recently found a dog walking around my apartment building, started feeding and petting her. I've let her into my apt. a few times to allow her to build confidence. I want to keep her but when I attempt to bathe her, she barks at me, I get scared and I open the door and kick her out, it has happened the last few times. She has developed a habit of standing outside my door, scratching the door with her paws and whining. What is the best way to deal with this dog? She is not exactly a small dog and I do not know her temperament. She is friendly for the most part but everytime she barks at me, I think she is going to jump at me and bite me. I feel bad for this dog and want to give her a home, but if she doesnt adjust, I feel the best care for her would be at a shelter. I have posted a picture, for the most part I think she's a mutt. If anyone has any ideas as to what she might be, please tell me. Thank you.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:02 AM
Active Pup

Default picture

This is her
Old 10-10-2006, 01:05 AM
Top Dog

The first thing you should do is call your local animal control. That way, they can tell you if she is microchipped.

Then, if you decide to keep her, take her to a vet. After the vet gives her a thorough inspection, ask the vet about her temperment.

Finally, if you do decide to bring her home you should be very, very careful. You don't know if this dog has a bite record or any aggressive tendencies. One wrong move on your part could trigger something buried in the dogs past.

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2006, 07:29 AM
Snow Girl

You say you are scared of her if she just barks at you?? I''m sorry but if that is the case Iw ouldn''t recommend you keep her. I garuntee she will see your timidness and because of that she will not respect you or listen to you. In essence, she knows she can control you and that will not lead to a good dog and owner relationship. She will start bossing YOU around and you could wind up with some other more serious behavioural problems. If you are not willing to stand up and hold your ground against her then she could walk all over you.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"