Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
I started "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis today. Through 3 of the 'letters' so far and it is very interesting. It is not terribly long, which is good because I think i'm going to need to go through it twice.
That's a good read And yes, it is one that needs to be read more than once.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe08 View Post
I am reading Maggie's Miracle by Karen Kingsbury
OOOOOOH I haven't read that one.

I am REALLY enjoying Karen Kingsbury right now

I've read three of her books that my MIL gave me after she read them (well I'm on the third one now) and I think she might be a new favorite author of mine. I'm usually not into that kind of book but I find hers hard to put down

I usually like murder mystery ONLY and hers is FAR from that lol but I am really looking forward to reading more books by her

I'm trying to remember the name of the first two books I read by her. The first one was about a boy that was adopted while his father was in jail and then when he got out he got the boy back because of a forged signature and he was abusive and OMG I have never had a book reduce me to tears like this book did. I remember reading it in bed next to my sleeping hubby and trying to stifle my sobs lol

the second one was about a guy who had a one night stand (or few day stand) in vegas and had a daughter and no one believed she was his other than the mother who was using him for money and keeping the girl away from him and then he passed away before ever getting to meet her and his parents (who never believed she was his) ended up being the ones to seek her out and meet her.

Just looked it up... it's called "this side of heaven" and the first one was called "like dandelion dust"

if you haven't read those two you really should. If you haven't read them I would be glad to lend them to you

right now I am reading "between Sundays" by Karen Kingsbury and it is another page turner that I just can't put down. it's getting me in trouble LOL I've stayed up until past 2 am the last few nights reading it and I just can't put it down and been tired in the morning because of it hahaha

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-09-2010, 04:43 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Zoe did you see they are making a movie out of one of Karen Kingsbury's books? It's one that I read "Like Dandelion dust" I really want to see it but just watching the trailer had me in tears so I know I"m gonna bawl through the whole movie lol

Like Dandelion Dust - In Theaters September 24

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Top Dog

Tanya, I've got almost all of Karen's books. They are easy reading! Another one to pick up next is Shades of Blue. I think that was one of her best.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:24 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

oooooh I haven't read that one either

My MIL is gonna buy me the baxter series of books by Karen Kingsbury for Christmas.

I'm excited to have a new addition to my favorite authors lol so I have a lot of reading ahead of me

G.K. Chesterton

Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Dark Rivers of the Heart by Dean Koontz! Surprise!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Sport Model Pug

The Sookie Stackhouse Series... And i've also got "Agility: Right from the Start" by Eva Bertilsson and Emelie Johnson Vegh going as well

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 08-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
You really should read The Name of the Wind! I think I've read it, oh, maybe 12 times now? One of the best written books I've ever read, bar none, and you will get lost in it from the first paragraph.
I will look for that.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I just finished Amazon.com: Wounded Knee: Party Politics and the Road to an American Massacre (9780465009213): Heather Cox Richardson: Books

which I got at the library. Its absolutely fascinating, and totally enraging. The author (VERY delibrately) describes the politics in a way that echos today . . . some of the intended comparisons are pushing it a bit, but she makes her point that greed, partisianship, ideology and ignorance can lead to tragedy. The most interesting thing for me is that the key political battle that was involved really had nothing to do with the Native Americans at all.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Silence! I ban you!

Well, I just finished Iris Johansen's "The Face of Deception", which appears to be the first in her "Eve Duncan" novels. Gotta love the used book store.

I also found "Flesh and Bone" by Jefferson Bass at another used book store (finally) and I'm working on that now. I was having a devil of a time finding this book. Number 2 in a 5 book (so far) series. I've read 1, 3 and 4. Working on 2 and then I'll get 5.