Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
WC, while I'm slogging through Pillars, I read a lesser known author, Rebecca Reissert's novel The Third Witch. It's Macbeth, told through the eyes of a young girl hell-bent on revenge, who is the youngest of the trio of witches that prophecies to Macbeth. Far better read than Pillars! http://www.amazon.com/review/product...owViewpoints=1
That sounds awesome!! I'll have to check that out. I love stories like that.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Quote:
Victory of Eagles is a very good book, but have you read the rest of the Temeraire series?
Yup. And I wasn't going to read Victory of Eagles so soon until I found it on Amazon for $10. Decided that was better than waiting for May to get the paperback.

Personally I love the series. Novik isn't the best author around (she has some writing issues) but her concept is awesome. I bought His Majesty's Dragon as a side thought because I thought the cover looked cool and went in knowing nothing about what the story was supposed to be. I thought it was just going to be a medieval book with a king getting a dragon. Was pleasantly surprised!

Nolu: Neuromancer is a bit hard to explain. Dude is a hacker (not in the modern day sense though. He literally gets immersed in his programs and doesn't want to leave at times) who had his nervous system attacked. Some people come and free him with a radical surgery to neutralize the mycotoxins and thus he owes them a debt. It's a pretty standard story line (for the most part...) but it's the world and characters that Gibson draws out for you that sucked me in.

Look into it. A lot of people acclaim it as the 'greatest sci-fi book ever written' and such bits. I don't know that it's the greatest but it's pretty **** good.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 12-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Top Dog

I am now reading a book my mom got me for xmas.

House and Philosophy. An awesome book about Gregory House.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Show Dog

I am reading Various Positions, Leonard Cohen biography. I just finished Duma Key, that was one of S Kings greats! Have a whole pile of to reads but I only read at work so I don't go through them as fast.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Silence! I ban you!

I just started Twilight. I took my daughter to see the movie this weekend so I figured I'd read the book as well. She just finished the 2nd one (in like a day) and is bugging me to take her to spend her border's gift cards to get books 3 and 4.

I know the book and the movie won't match up. I treat them as separate entities. I won't suddenly dislike the movie because I read the book, or hate the book because it's not like the movie.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
I just started Twilight. I took my daughter to see the movie this weekend so I figured I'd read the book as well. She just finished the 2nd one (in like a day) and is bugging me to take her to spend her border's gift cards to get books 3 and 4.

I know the book and the movie won't match up. I treat them as separate entities. I won't suddenly dislike the movie because I read the book, or hate the book because it's not like the movie.
I'm finally reading Twilight right now as well... I'm about halfway through it. I want to see the movie after I finish the book.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 12-30-2008, 01:56 PM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillasugar View Post
I'm reading one of the books I got for Christmas. "The Dogs of Babel"

It's alright so far. Not fantastic writing, but an easy, enjoyable read.
Just for the record: horribly depressing book. Past the first few chapters I got seriously depressed reading this, to the point that I was hiding away and crying. I wanted desperately to just walk away without finishing it, but I just can't do that.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Keyozilla

Looking for Alaska

(great book btw)

Meow.
Between the Rain Drops :: My graphics/personal website
Old 12-31-2008, 08:56 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Any recommendations on classics? I'm getting a bunch for free.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHorseMyRules View Post
Any recommendations on classics? I'm getting a bunch for free.
I think you would probably like anything by Jane Austen or the Bronte sisters.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian